Fully Charged drives the MG Cyberster

Looking forward to test driving it.
Think my x power is a more sensible daily. Had an SLK & the luggage/passenger space gets old quickly. That said NOTHING beats country roads in a convertible in summer 🥰

I have a feeling all those screens and the software that glitchily powers them will the bane of owners. Maybe should have dialed back a bit there.

Porsche fanboys triggered..... Boxster is not out till 2025. Perfect time for tax to be slapped on. I can't see Porsche delivering a car at the same 1400kg if they're chasing 400 to 500 bhp. I wish them best of luck. But I foresee at least 1700kg car.

The screens are fine, fast and intuitive. If rumours are correct Huawei were involved. I've had a Huawei for 7 years. Graphics are good and functionality seems good. I do however fancy a Cayman S or Alpine for Spring so we will see. Our Kia E Niro 64 kwh does 7 seconds to 60 300 ft lbs and seems quicker than that. The rear wheel version will be nippy but I envisage tyre spin here and there. The weight might help that. 309hp in 1890kg.... I'd only want AWD but I imagine the cost and cost of insurance on a similar F type was already over reasonable costs......hoping it will be around 1000 similar to GTR

Looking forward to test driving it.
Think my x power is a more sensible daily. Had an SLK & the luggage/passenger space gets old quickly. That said NOTHING beats country roads in a convertible in summer 🥰
No doubt about it, this isn't a suitable primary car at all, but that's not what it's for.

I'm getting one as a fun, play car. Back in the day, this type of car would often get kept forever as a collectible. Not sure if that's going to be possible long term with battery cars though, time will tell.

Porsche fanboys triggered..... Boxster is not out till 2025. Perfect time for tax to be slapped on. I can't see Porsche delivering a car at the same 1400kg if they're chasing 400 to 500 bhp. I wish them best of luck. But I foresee at least 1700kg car.

The screens are fine, fast and intuitive. If rumours are correct Huawei were involved. I've had a Huawei for 7 years. Graphics are good and functionality seems good. I do however fancy a Cayman S or Alpine for Spring so we will see. Our Kia E Niro 64 kwh does 7 seconds to 60 300 ft lbs and seems quicker than that. The rear wheel version will be nippy but I envisage tyre spin here and there. The weight might help that. 309hp in 1890kg.... I'd only want AWD but I imagine the cost and cost of insurance on a similar F type was already over reasonable costs......hoping it will be around 1000 similar to GTR
The other downer of Porsche ownership is they will screw you over with a huge servicing cost, even on an EV. I think Taycan owners are paying around £1000 for basically a next to nothing service!

I just can't tolerate that anymore after owning a Tesla and just doing routine maintenance when actually needed, on my terms, without the threat of warranty cancellation.

Agreed Paul 👍 its a summer day toy & safer than the many motorcycles I've owned. Funnily enough I also thought about keeping it garaged long term & although fluids are easier storage wise the battery is a problem. I would set charging to 20% & connect an optimiser to the 12 volt ancillary battery 🪫 🔋

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed Paul 👍 its a summer day toy & safer than the many motorcycles ive owned. Funnily enough I also thought about keeping it garaged long term & although fluids are easier storage wise the battery is a problem. I would set charging to 20% & connect an optimiser to the 12 volt ancillary battery 🪫 🔋
12V battery doesn't worry me at all, they're cheap anyway if they fail. That said on my current long term classic cars, I just fully charge them, then disconnect the negative, when not in use.

For long term non use over winter and such like, the best option for EV batteries is to run them to 50%, then disconnect the 12V. In this state there will be zero drain on the main pack, It shouldn't need charging at all within a year either, lithium has almost zero self discharge and almost no degradation when kept at the mid point. Check it every 3months for peace of mind. I have an EV self build stored in the garage that I haven't used for years now and that's left at 50%. I check on it every few months, but the state of charge doesn't change at all. I cycle it fully once a year or so and measure capacity. Over the last 10 years, it's lost around 1% a year capacity!

Last edited by a moderator:
7 year unlimited Warranty 😇
Sounds good but MG are at the mercy of the parts store in the mainland (China) and software available. Also have to hope their engineers are trained and attended a crash course to be able to fully support and repair any issues.

More than enough storage for a single person and shopping/luggage etc.

There's no doubting the way Porsche move. I assume that's what people who thought they were getting a bargain used Taycan 4S at 55k will be paying for software update and a car wash!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom