Fully Charged, Farnborough

Seaniepie

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
If any of you are visiting Fully Charged this weekend, the MG stand outside next to the Tesla test drive area are giving away MG goodie bags with branded key rings, caps, pens and travel cups. You can also get to test drive the new MG5 or ZS. Lots of cool new tech to see throughout the show as well.

I was there today, there were some MG5s, but no facelifts, or mg zs mk2s..wanted to have a look around, but no luck.. a lot bigger show this year .

I was there..I looked I couldn't see it. It may have been a demonstrator but they only had a MK1 zs on the stand unfortunately

Last edited:
It would be nice to see one in the flesh, even if it's LHD.

Looks like there were a few ZS EV mk2, but no facelift 5 - I would've liked so information on that one.

Having been to the show today I didn't realise just how many different companies were out there producing charge points. So much choice I wouldn't know where to start.

Saw a long queue for one stand. Walked round the corner to see what all the fuss was about and it was the new VW ID Buzz in the flesh. Looks really good but no news of a price as yet.

Having been to the show today I didn't realise just how many different companies were out there producing charge points
We had exactly the same thought!

Got the MG goodies...sadly no additional information (as expected) on deliveries

It was a fun show and some good talks about Heat Pumps etc.
I test drove Tesla model 3, Polestar, ID3, Ioniq5 and the ZS.

The ZS was dead easy to drive as it was all familiar controls. Would recommend ZS to anyone wanting an SUV shape, but MG5 is best for me with the extra space and estate cars drive better!

The Tesla was very impressive. The screen was showing a perfect mix of satellite images overlayed with the cars and pedestrians around you. It didn't feel any quicker than my MG5.
I love the film Tron... so did like the Ioniq5.

Conclusion.. MG is great value for money and Fully Charged Live worth a visit. But gey there at 9.45 to book test drives for that day.

I think that I have sat in most EVs available now, have owned 3 and driven a further 8.

In comparison with MG: -

1 - I have ruled out all cars on an ICE platform - Citroen, DS, Fiat, Mazda, Mini, Opel, Peugeot, Vauxhall etc as they are tiny inside compared with a dedicated EV platform, with poor layouts, transmission tunnels etc. Awful compromises. I'd say a similar issue applies to most Audi, BMW, Volvo EVs etc and even the Kona & e-Niro which I found a huge let down space wise.

2 - ones I have driven

LEAF 1 - wonderful car, reliable & spacious. Lacks the boot space & range, otherwise better than many a new EVs. MG5 better
Kia Soul - quirky, but too small inside, like the back seats. MG5 better
Jaguar iPace - excellent car to drive, great inside, smaller boot, no more range but apart from finish - MG5 is better.
LEAF 2 - looks better than the mark 1 & better range but #rapidgate is a huge let down, along with a few reliability issues creeping in - MG5 is better
MG ZS - wallows too much, uses more energy then MG5 so again MG5 wins
Polestar - a huge disappointment. Awful ride & driving position, lacks enough space, kids hated it so again - MG5 better.
VW ID 3 - another huge disappointment. Cheap interior finish, bumpy ride, less spec than the MGs and was so slow I had to ask if there was an issue with the car!. All the IDs seem to suffer from a cheap interior, under spec & these stupid large rims that make the ride awful. The Buzz looks great outside but inside I had to ask where missing things were as not in spec. MG5 won again.
Ford Mach-E - Wow now that was a good car to drive, great feel, well laid out, good spec, space but could I really justify twice the cost for what is basically aa car very similar in capability to an MG5? No!
Tesla - Model X & Y - I found the X just too big for our roads. The Y was great to drive, not much faster than a MG5 unless you go for performance versions. The offset speed display & quick acceleration made it the most difficult to stick to the speed limit, realistically it could only be driven with self drive / speed limiting.

3 - ones I would still look at - Ioniq 5, Kia EV6, Mercedes, Skoda Enyaq, Ora Cat but all have less space or little more range than an MG5

4 - My conclusion

My MG5 is better than most other EVs from a practical, usable, or spec perspective combination but not on brand, style or quality of finish even if twice the price!

Those that were clearly equal or better than an MG5 were twice the price or more.

MG should be proud of what they have put out there.

Key learning points: -

1 - big wheels with thin tyres = poor ride, car sickness, pothole damage.
2 - China has the best handle on what consumers really want

I think that I have sat in most EVs available now, have owned 3 and driven a further 8.

1 - I have ruled out all cars on an ICE platform - Citroen, DS, Fiat, Mazda, Mini, Opel, Peugeot, Vauxhall etc as they are tiny inside compared with a dedicated EV platform, with poor layouts, transmission tunnels etc. Awful compromises. I'd say a similar issue applies to most Audi, BMW, Volvo EVs etc and even the Kona & e-Niro which I found a huge let down space wise.

2 - ones I have driven

LEAF 1 - wonderful car, reliable & spacious. Lacks the boot space & range, otherwise better than many a new EVs. MG5 better
Jaguar iPace - excellent car to drive, great inside, smaller boot, no more range but apart from finish - MG5 is better.
LEAF 2 - looks better than the mark 1 & better range but #rapidgate is a huge let down, along with a few reliability issues creeping in - MG5 is better
Polestar - a huge disappointment. Awful ride & driving position, lacks enough space, kids hated it so again - MG5 better.
VW ID 3 - another huge disappointment. Cheap interior finish, bumpy ride, less spec than the MGs and was so slow I had to ask if there was an issue with the car!. All the IDs seem to suffer from a cheap interior, under spec & these stupid large rims that make the ride awful. The Buzz looks great outside but inside I had to ask where missing things were as not in spec. MG5 won again.
Ford Mach-E - Wow now that was a good car to drive, great feel, well laid out, good spec, space but could I really justify twice the cost for what is basically aa car very similar in capability to an MG5? No!
Tesla - Model X & Y - I found the X just too big for our roads. The Y was great to drive, not much faster than a MG5 unless you go for performance versions. The offset speed display & quick acceleration made it the most difficult to stick to the speed limit, realistically it could only be driven with self drive / speed limiting.

3 - ones I would still look at - Ioniq 5, Kia EV6, Mercedes, Skoda Enyaq, Ora Cat but all have less space or little more range than an MG5

4 - My conclusion

My MG5 is better than most other EVs from a practical, usable, or spec perspective combination but not on brand, style or quality of finish even if twice the price!

Those that were clearly equal or better than an MG5 were twice the price or more.

I tried out an MG5 at the f/c show yesterday, & agree with you on all points, even though it is on a ICE platform, as will be the facelift version.(arriving in November!)
Funnily enough, I’m rather underwhelmed by the Marvel, their first car on a dedicated EV platform. There is still nothing on offer that provides the space & versatility of my old Citroen Xsara picasso, and I think there is a large gap in the market for such a vehicle. Perhaps I should get an electric motor fitted to my banger?!🤔

I tried out an MG5 at the f/c show yesterday, & agree with you on all points, even though it is on a ICE platform, as will be the facelift version.(arriving in November!)
Funnily enough, I’m rather underwhelmed by the Marvel, their first car on a dedicated EV platform. There is still nothing on offer that provides the space & versatility of my old Citroen Xsara picasso, and I think there is a large gap in the market for such a vehicle. Perhaps I should get an electric motor fitted to my banger?!🤔
Apparently the MG5 is the old Astra estate platform, but with a flat floor & clearly some other changes, that isn't apparent.

Manufacturers do now need to start making simply, soft riding cheap family cars as for me apart from the MG5, they are lacking!

2 - ones I have driven

4 - My conclusion

Enyaq has more space for luggage and passengers than MG5. (Just for the record.) MG5 - 464 L, 1,456 L; Enyaq 585 L, 1,710 L. ZS EV with boot floor lower position also has more - 470L - but less with seats down.

Enyaq has more space for luggage and passengers than MG5. (Just for the record.) MG5 - 464 L, 1,456 L; Enyaq 585 L, 1,710 L. ZS EV with boot floor lower position also has more - 470L - but less with seats down.
Yes, the Enyaq is the most compelling SUV around, which is why it's still on my list but at twice the price! On that basis the gain over a MG5 is limited.

The MG5 boot capacity is that measured below the cover. To the roof it matches the Enyaq. Not sure how Skoda measure their boot, but maybe the same applies?

Yes, the Enyaq is the most compelling SUV around, which is why it's still on my list but at twice the price! On that basis the gain over a MG5 is limited.

The MG5 boot capacity is that measured below the cover. To the roof it matches the Enyaq. Not sure how Skoda measure their boot, but maybe the same applies?
Don't know about loading to the roof. For me, price apart, the Enyaq is just too big - even bigger than the iD.4 which is itself pretty huge. The iD.3 is too small, the ZS fits nicely between.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom