Fully Charged Mileage MGZS EV (Gen 1)

Seve

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all
My MGZS EV has just been to the dealer for a battery management software upgrade, (as well as a steering wheel problem, previous post) on a overnight charge from my 7kw wall box, I would get 177 miles range (ECO) with the ventilation unit turned off.

Last night put the car on charge (1st since the software upgrade) and the after charge range mileage is showing 195 !!!! has anybody else experienced this ?

Maybe the dealer swapped the battery pack !!!!!!!!!!!

The average of the WLTP combined range of 163 miles and the city range figure of 231 miles is 197 miles, close to the figure you're showing. My guess is they've altered the update software to include the city figure initially in the GOM calculation when it has no history.

Before your next fully charge and balance, rest. both of your trip counters back to zero and insure you have turned off all 12 volt items.
This especially includes the HVAC system !.
With NO pressure applied to the footbrake, boot up the car to the READY state.
In NORMAL mode you should be showing a predicted range of about 163 miles of range on the GOM.
Also, now check your HV battery voltage.
You should be showing between 448 - 450 volts on the pack when fully charged.

Last edited:
We've had a similar issue with our Mk1 since the BMS software 'upgrade'. When charged it claimed a range of over 200 miles. To make matters worse the claimed range didn't go down linearly - it rapidly reduced over the last 45 miles or so. The long term trip also keeps inflating the mi/kWh to a level above that seen on any individual journey. The solution seems to be to keep resetting the long term trip. After doing so the range looks far more plausible.

All very disappointing as the range values seemed very accurate before the BMS update.

Hi all
My MGZS EV has just been to the dealer for a battery management software upgrade, (as well as a steering wheel problem, previous post) on a overnight charge from my 7kw wall box, I would get 177 miles range (ECO) with the ventilation unit turned off.

Last night put the car on charge (1st since the software upgrade) and the after charge range mileage is showing 195 !!!! has anybody else experienced this ?

Maybe the dealer swapped the battery pack !!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, I remember when we went in for the BMS update, we all got silly ranges on the GOM, it'll sort itself out.

Our problem has been going on for months, so we've given up hope of it resolving itself. I contacted another dealer for advice this week. It seems our vehicle shouldn't have had the BMS update as it is for vehicles that were having problems with battery equalisation. (Ours was fine.) The original dealer washed their hands of it, saying we had the latest software, no fault found. Fortunately the second dealer is happy to investigate, so we'll be booking it in there soon-ish.

Our problem has been going on for months, so we've given up hope of it resolving itself. I contacted another dealer for advice this week. It seems our vehicle shouldn't have had the BMS update as it is for vehicles that were having problems with battery equalisation. (Ours was fine.) The original dealer washed their hands of it, saying we had the latest software, no fault found. Fortunately the second dealer is happy to investigate, so we'll be booking it in there soon-ish.
The first dealer who told you that your car should never have received the BMS because it was ONLY intended for cars that suffered only suffered from balancing / equalisation on their pack is total B/S sorry !.
Why - Because our previous Gen 1 ZS EV received the BMS update at our local dealer, while in having another small job done to replace the drivers door loom, under a MG service bulletin for the early models.
Prior to this update, we where running on the factory installed software and had NO problems with charging or balancing / equalisation of our HV pack before.
In fact, it was MG customer services that advised the dealer to apply the very latest software package to our car.
The BMS update was available to be applied to customers cars ( if required ) on the 15th Jan 2020 I believe is the correct date.
It was applied to our car the following day !.
We owned the car for approx another 12 months after the update was applied and then exchanged it for the face lift Trophy LR model.
I think you have done the correct thing by now taking it to dealer who has a better knowledge base of the systems on ZS EV.
Are you 100% sure that your car HAS received the BMS update ???.
When you carry out a full charge and balance, what is your predicted range on the GOM and what is the reported voltage on the HV pack ?.
Remember, only carry out these checks when you have reset both trips FIRST and that you boot up the car into the default mode of NORMAL / Regen level 3 with your foot clear of the footbrake and ensure you DON'T have any 12 volt items running at the time.
Especially the HVAC system !!!!!!!!.
If you have received the BMS update applied correctly, you should be seeing a predicted range on the GOM of 163 miles ( depending on the age of your car and the current distance covered on the odometer ) and a pack voltage between 448 - 450 volts.
OBTW - It is completely normal for the long term trip to predict the increased range, if it is not reset regularly, after receiving the BMS update.
For what its worth, the new face lift model is the same.
It predicts / estimates your range based on historical data collected prior to resetting the long term trip.
If you have driving a while without resetting it, driving carefully and in good weather conditions etc with no HVAC running.
Your trip will be based on achieving that predicted range.
If then you take on a longer trip ( without resetting the trips ) and the weather has changed and you are using the heater and travelling at higher speed, then the car will re-evaluate its previous prediction and then expect the previously estimated range to drop quickly.
Resetting the trips is always a safer option if taking on a new unknown trip.

What is the actual problem you’re having?

All cars usually get the BMS updates etc when they’re in for servicing etc, it was just that at one point cars with the bad bms were supposed to have been proactively called in by dealership to be updated.

There have been many instances where updates have not all been applied correctly, leaving things in a bit of an “unstable state”. Needs a decent dealer that knows what they’re doing to sort it.

Thanks for the replies. I do understand that the predicted range is based on previous driving patterns. Our problem is that the predicted range increases to unrealistic levels unless we keep resetting the accumulated trip. The predicted range then reduces very rapidly as the battery gets low, so you have no real idea when it might run out.

Also, unless reset, the accumulated trip starts showing an average mi/kWh figure far above anything seen on even the best journey. It is currently showing 4.3 mi/kWh average - a figure we have never come near on any individual journey. Typically individual journeys are around 3.4 mi/kWh. The best I have ever seen on an individual journey was 3.8 mi/kWh.

Before the BMS update we were seeing predicted range around 159 and accumulated trip mi/kWh figures of around 3.4-3.5 mi/kWh. This was quite consistent and seemed to tie in with our experience.

If the long term trip is reset after a full charge & equalisation we see a predicted range of around 162 miles. If the trip is not reset we can see values close to 200 miles. I'm not certain about battery volts offhand but I think they are around 440v with everything off and my foot off the brake when powering up.

The car is about 15 months old and I believe already had the updated BMS firmware Jomarkh is talking about. The increased range we are seeing really does not appear to be related to efficient driving. It would be wonderful if we really were getting around 200 miles from a full charge.

It sounds like this is a rare problem, so hopefully the 2nd dealer will resolve it for us. In all other respects the car is great!

If the long term trip is reset after a full charge & equalisation we see a predicted range of around 162 miles. If the trip is not reset we can see values close to 200 miles. I'm not certain about battery volts offhand but I think they are around 440v with everything off and my foot off the brake when powering up.
It is very important that you get an accurate voltage reading from your pack, when it is fully charged and balanced.
With the BMS update correctly applied, you should be seeing 448 - 450 volts.
440 volts is way to low ( if that is actually correct ).
If your predicted range after a full charge and balance ( no 12 volt system items in use or HVAC ) and in normal mode, is reporting a predicted range of 162 miles ( trips reset ) then that is about right after the BMS update.
The base line figures seen by many owners, post BMS are 448 - 450 volts and a predicted range of 163 miles.
Our previous Gen1 efficiency was around 4.3 M/kwh’s in decent weather conditions as well.
It was not unusual to see this figure steadily keep increasing if the long range trip was not reset either.
As time passes by, this will have the effect of predicting a over inflated predicted mileage on the GOM.
Your 166 miles will creep closer towards 200 miles, if the trip is not reset.
Of course, this inflated / predicted range is not achievable and should not be used for taking on a long trip.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom