Garage says there is a recall

Grandad

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
The car was in for a service this morning and they have advised that there is a vehicle recall. Not sure if it is to do with the radio disconnecting. They did not say exactly what the recall was for. It is a couple of weeks before I have to return it to the garage.

We had a recall for, I believe, an earthing connection somewhere (can’t remember- old age!) but ours doesn’t have the DAB problem.

The car was in for a service this morning and they have advised that there is a vehicle recall. Not sure if it is to do with the radio disconnecting. They did not say exactly what the recall was for. It is a couple of weeks before I have to return it to the garage.
Why did you not ask for the recall was for.

Was at dealers today and asked about the recall which is apparently for tge radio module, we had ours repaired couple of weeks ago so not applicable to us, but mechanic did say some dealers only carrying out work when problem arises.

Was at dealers today and asked about the recall which is apparently for tge radio module, we had ours repaired couple of weeks ago so not applicable to us, but mechanic did say some dealers only carrying out work when problem arises.
Are you referring to the Dab issue, and if so have you now got full functionality on radio including Rds on Fm. If so I must contact service dealer

Hi with regards the DAB fiasco

The replacement us not as it seems as you will not have 2 USB ports anymore they have replaced it with one the DAB is not a replacement alls they have done is out a signal booster behind the glove box and got rid of the USB port ...there are a 100s with the same problem the dealer should of told the person before handover this wasn't the case with lots of people I wrote a email to MG and Scott has wrote back with what is a load.BS ..

I have wrote a very strong worded email to me dealer as my vehicle has not just got the DAB problem but also a reverse problem and also it needs a new radar it's been with them for around 3 months now I have drive it for two weeks before it went in.
The company has not gone bist at all they have used the semiconductors on the new model and not in the 23 model as they were told by MG that they want the dealers to get shut of the old model and sell the new model car.

I will copy my email for you to see its strongly worded

MY EMAIL TO MY DEALER DUE TO NUMBER OF PROBLEMS

I Urgent and Furious Complaint Regarding MG HS DAB Radio and Vehicle Issues

Dear Darren Hawkins And Jeff Borg

I am writing to express my immense anger and frustration in the face of the ongoing problems I have encountered with the MG HS DAB Radio and other issues plaguing my vehicle. I have already communicated with Motability to keep them informed, and they have explicitly requested that I file this formal complaint and urge you to take immediate action to rectify these faults. Furthermore, I have been made aware of the dedicated team within Motability that will work tirelessly to ensure prospective MG buyers are well-informed about the numerous faults plaguing these vehicles.

Firstly, I am appalled that I was never informed about the release of the new style MG, which appears to have resolved many of the issues that the 23 plate model should have had in the first place. It is clear to me that MG purposely withheld this information, leading me to believe that they deliberately released an inferior product, only to rectify the faults in a subsequent model. This is an outrageous display of negligence and disrespect towards loyal MG customers.

The problems with the MG HS DAB Radio are beyond comprehension. Despite numerous attempts to address the emergency braking lights and the emergency pedestrian stop malfunctions, the response from your team has been lackluster, to say the least. I refuse to accept that this is an isolated incident, as evidence from various MG forums and social media platforms clearly demonstrates that these faults are widespread. It is absolutely unacceptable that a vehicle, especially one in this price range, would exhibit such critical flaws, jeopardizing not only my safety but also the safety of other road users.

Equally distressing is the issue I have repeatedly raised regarding the reverse parking on an incline. The fact that the DCT gearbox fails to engage when reversing on even a slight incline is a severe safety concern. I am astounded that my concerns have been outright ignored, especially considering the numerous reports from other MG owners who have experienced the same problem. This fundamental flaw compromises the usability and safety of the vehicle, making it unreliable and unfit for purpose.

The inadequacies of the FM radio capabilities provided by MG are utterly infuriating. The "temporary" DAB option offers abysmal audio quality, limited functionality, and an absolute inability to store "favorites." Furthermore, approximately 50% of the listed stations do not work at all, further highlighting the shoddy attention to detail and lack of quality control. The so-called "permanent" DAB fix provided by MG is nothing short of a joke. Not only does it replace the windscreen antenna with a concealed device, but it also removes the USB socket and fails to address the lack of "favorites" functionality and subpar sound quality. Additionally, the FM radio features are archaic, lacking basic features such as displaying the station name, retuning as signal strength decreases, and providing Traffic Programme or RDS functionality. These deficiencies are simply unacceptable in this day and age, and it reflects poorly on MG's commitment to providing a quality product.

To add insult to injury, the satellite navigation system in my MG is riddled with problems. The outdated maps and incorrect routing descriptions at roundabouts are not only frustrating but also potentially dangerous.
The lack of a method to update the mapping only exacerbates the issue, leaving me with an obsolete system that fails to meet even the most basic navigation requirements. It is inconceivable that MG would release a vehicle with such glaring deficiencies in the navigation system, especially when numerous owners have reported the same update issue on MG forums. The inability of the sat nav to identify traffic delays and offer rerouting is yet another indication of the substandard quality of this product.

All new MGs are purportedly built with world-class components and are allegedly backed by a comprehensive manufacturer's 7-year warranty. However, the numerous issues I have encountered with my vehicle clearly demonstrate that these claims are nothing more than empty promises.

The fact that these faults exist in a supposedly reliable and well-built vehicle is a blatant disregard for customer satisfaction and safety.

I implore you to take immediate action to rectify these problems and ensure that my vehicle is thoroughly examined and repaired by your dedicated team of experts.
I expect nothing less than a prompt resolution to these issues, as well as clear communication regarding the steps being taken to address them.
I demand that the mechanical handover be completed without any further delays, as I am growing increasingly frustrated with the lack of progress and the inconvenience this has caused me.

I have already communicated with Motability to keep them informed, and they have explicitly requested that I file this formal complaint and urge you to take immediate action with regards a mechanical Furthermore, I have been made aware of the dedicated team within Motability that will work tirelessly to ensure prospective MG buyers are well-informed about the numerous faults plaguing these vehicles.

Not only has my health deteriorated much like MG.

I also request that you initiate a compansation of £500.00 for my health deterioration and the terrible customer service and the current state of poor relationship between myself and MG motors I will provide evidence for my GP if you wish to have this in writing.

I must also stress that this email and another email has directly gone to higher management including the CEO of MG

David Clarke Parts and Warranty Executive
-----------
Stephen Graham Regional Operations Manager After sales
----------
Andrew Stuart Head of Sales
-----—---
Andy Lee head of Sales CEO
—---------—-
Guy Pigoinikas Commercial Directer MG motors
----------------

I must stress that I am contemplating escalating this matter to the media if necessary. The public deserves to know about the incomparable problems plaguing MG vehicles, and I am prepared to take that course of action if my concerns are not addressed promptly and effectively.

I eagerly await your immediate attention to this matter and a satisfactory resolution

Yours sincerely,

The replacement us not as it seems as you will not have 2 USB ports anymore they have replaced it with one the DAB is not a replacement alls they have done is out a signal booster behind the glove box and got rid of the USB port ...there are a 100s with the same problem the dealer should of told the person before handover this wasn't the case with lots of people I wrote a email to MG and Scott has wrote back with what is a load.BS ..

I have wrote a very strong worded email to me dealer as my vehicle has not just got the DAB problem but also a reverse problem and also it needs a new radar it's been with them for around 3 months now I have drive it for two weeks before it went in.
The company has not gone bist at all they have used the semiconductors on the new model and not in the 23 model as they were told by MG that they want the dealers to get shut of the old model and sell the new model car.

Thanks for response. Have you lost one of your USB sockets but the fix has given you all radio functioning. If so this is somewhat different to what has been reported. Have they removed the stick on aerial on the screen and is your system had the dab box removed from the glove compartment.

I am writing to express my immense anger and frustration in the face of the ongoing problems I have encountered with the MG HS DAB Radio and other issues plaguing my vehicle. I have already communicated with Motability to keep them informed, and they have explicitly requested that I file this formal complaint and urge you to take immediate action to rectify these faults. Furthermore, I have been made aware of the dedicated team within Motability that will work tirelessly to ensure prospective MG buyers are well-informed about the numerous faults plaguing these vehicles.

Firstly, I am appalled that I was never informed about the release of the new style MG, which appears to have resolved many of the issues that the 23 plate model should have had in the first place. It is clear to me that MG purposely withheld this information, leading me to believe that they deliberately released an inferior product, only to rectify the faults in a subsequent model. This is an outrageous display of negligence and disrespect towards loyal MG customers.

The problems with the MG HS DAB Radio are beyond comprehension. Despite numerous attempts to address the emergency braking lights and the emergency pedestrian stop malfunctions, the response from your team has been lackluster, to say the least. I refuse to accept that this is an isolated incident, as evidence from various MG forums and social media platforms clearly demonstrates that these faults are widespread. It is absolutely unacceptable that a vehicle, especially one in this price range, would exhibit such critical flaws, jeopardizing not only my safety but also the safety of other road users.

Equally distressing is the issue I have repeatedly raised regarding the reverse parking on an incline. The fact that the DCT gearbox fails to engage when reversing on even a slight incline is a severe safety concern. I am astounded that my concerns have been outright ignored, especially considering the numerous reports from other MG owners who have experienced the same problem. This fundamental flaw compromises the usability and safety of the vehicle, making it unreliable and unfit for purpose.

The inadequacies of the FM radio capabilities provided by MG are utterly infuriating. The "temporary" DAB option offers abysmal audio quality, limited functionality, and an absolute inability to store "favorites." Furthermore, approximately 50% of the listed stations do not work at all, further highlighting the shoddy attention to detail and lack of quality control. The so-called "permanent" DAB fix provided by MG is nothing short of a joke. Not only does it replace the windscreen antenna with a concealed device, but it also removes the USB socket and fails to address the lack of "favorites" functionality and subpar sound quality. Additionally, the FM radio features are archaic, lacking basic features such as displaying the station name, retuning as signal strength decreases, and providing Traffic Programme or RDS functionality. These deficiencies are simply unacceptable in this day and age, and it reflects poorly on MG's commitment to providing a quality product.

To add insult to injury, the satellite navigation system in my MG is riddled with problems. The outdated maps and incorrect routing descriptions at roundabouts are not only frustrating but also potentially dangerous.
The lack of a method to update the mapping only exacerbates the issue, leaving me with an obsolete system that fails to meet even the most basic navigation requirements. It is inconceivable that MG would release a vehicle with such glaring deficiencies in the navigation system, especially when numerous owners have reported the same update issue on MG forums. The inability of the sat nav to identify traffic delays and offer rerouting is yet another indication of the substandard quality of this product.

All new MGs are purportedly built with world-class components and are allegedly backed by a comprehensive manufacturer's 7-year warranty. However, the numerous issues I have encountered with my vehicle clearly demonstrate that these claims are nothing more than empty promises.

The fact that these faults exist in a supposedly reliable and well-built vehicle is a blatant disregard for customer satisfaction and safety.

I implore you to take immediate action to rectify these problems and ensure that my vehicle is thoroughly examined and repaired by your dedicated team of experts.
I expect nothing less than a prompt resolution to these issues, as well as clear communication regarding the steps being taken to address them.
I demand that the mechanical handover be completed without any further delays, as I am growing increasingly frustrated with the lack of progress and the inconvenience this has caused me.

I have already communicated with Motability to keep them informed, and they have explicitly requested that I file this formal complaint and urge you to take immediate action with regards a mechanical Furthermore, I have been made aware of the dedicated team within Motability that will work tirelessly to ensure prospective MG buyers are well-informed about the numerous faults plaguing these vehicles.

I also request that you initiate a compansation of £500.00 for my health deterioration and the terrible customer service and the current state of poor relationship between myself and MG motors I will provide evidence for my GP if you wish to have this in writing.

I must also stress that this email and another email has directly gone to higher management including the CEO of MG

-----------
----------
-----—---
—---------—-
----------------

I must stress that I am contemplating escalating this matter to the media if necessary. The public deserves to know about the incomparable problems plaguing MG vehicles, and I am prepared to take that course of action if my concerns are not addressed promptly and effectively.

I eagerly await your immediate attention to this matter and a satisfactory resolution

Yours sincerely,

Well you certainly did not hold back with your communication. Maybe we all should take a firmer stand towards MG as we are not really getting anywhere with the softly softly approach. I just keep getting fobbed off with memos showing that MG are aware of the situation and that a fix is coming. This has been going on now for well over a year I think? I have only had my car for a couple of months and the DAB issue is annoying along with no RDS or TA. In fact the whole infotainment system is complete rubbish it's frustratingly slow at the best of times and sometimes doesn't bother coming on at all. All cars have issues I accept that but what does irk a bit is the "new" model doesn't have these issues so the chip shortage is over why can they not fit the new units into our vehicles it is not as though the interior has changed.

Reply from the CEO of MG with regards my email and yes I wrote the email strongly and never held back as I been down the nicely route and don't get anywhere reply is below

Good Morning Mr Wainwright,

Thank you for your recent correspondence to Mr Wang, unfortunately he is not available so has asked I respond on his behalf.

I apologise if your vehicle is not currently meeting with your expectations, can I ask firstly, have you taken your vehicle into an MG approved dealer to have your concerns investigated?

With regards to the DAB radio, there has been a permanent fix released which is available for all MG customers to have fitted immediately via an MG dealer, which is the same solution as the new 2023 model year MG HS. This is not information that has been withheld and is readily available as and when you decide is appropriate to have this rectified.

I would suggest booking into your local MG dealer where they can resolve the DAB concerns and look at the other issues you have mentioned below.

In terms of a gesture of goodwill, this is something that your MG dealer can arrange upon completion of their investigation.

Once again, I would strongly suggest the vehicle is investigated first; no faults have yet been confirmed despite your demands and opinions you have outlined below.

I will note your complaint and will await the diagnosis from the dealer.

Regards

Becky McCoole-Smith

Customer Experience Manager

Aftersales

MG Motor UK Limited, Lowhill Lane, Longbridge, Birmingham

My Nice reply back to see what this has with regards to this fiasco and then I will for it like my first email

Subject: URGENT: Addressing Ongoing Concerns with My MG Vehicle

Dear MG Support Team,

I hope this email finds you in good health. I am writing to express my continuous concerns regarding the issues I have encountered with my MG vehicle and the recent DAB dongle fix. While I appreciate your previous response, I feel that my concerns have not been adequately addressed.

With regards to the DAB dongle fix, I would like to highlight the disparities between the 23 plate model and the face-lift version. The fact that the fix resulted in the removal of one USB connection while the new style boasts two USB ports raises significant questions. Please take a moment to review the attached images, and also to read your response from my first email I sent yourself which clearly demonstrate the differences between the two.

I kindly request that you elevate this matter to the relevant department to ensure accurate information is provided to customers regarding the fix. Additionally, the issues with the new radar and the reverse problem have caused immense frustration for me. It is disheartening to discover that other MG owners are also facing similar challenges. A brief search on various social media platforms will unveil a growing number of owners sharing their experiences and concerns.

Moreover, the inconvenience caused by the protracted repair process is deeply disappointing, especially for a new 23 model. I was not informed about the DAB dongle during the vehicle handover, exposing a deficiency in the sales and marketing procedures. I urge you to bring this oversight to the attention of the appropriate department to prevent such issues from arising in the future.

As recommended by Motability, I am eager to obtain mechanical feedback regarding my vehicle. I strongly advise reaching out to my dealer, Holdcroft Warrington, to obtain a comprehensive report on the sales process, aftermath, and the points highlighted in my initial email to Mr. Wong. Their report will provide valuable insights into the condition and performance of my vehicle before and after the dongle fitment.

Regrettably, MG's commitment to ensuring the satisfaction of all MG owners has not been fulfilled in this instance. I implore you to promptly escalate my concerns to the relevant channels within the company.

I have received an apology email from my dealer, Honda Warrington, expressing their willingness to address the inconvenience. However, their response fails to adequately address the concerns of myself and fellow MG owners. It is now time for a more comprehensive and thorough response.

Considering these ongoing challenges, I kindly request that you not only reply to my email but also engage with my dealers to discuss the potential options of either a replacement vehicle or returning my current vehicle to Motability's MG team for further investigation. This step is crucial in ensuring that the issues are satisfactorily resolved.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. I eagerly await your response.

Simon Wainwright.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230901-000755.png
    Screenshot_20230901-000755.png
    858.4 KB · Views: 190
  • FB_IMG_1693523219005.jpg
    FB_IMG_1693523219005.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 158
Hi I have read some of the issues outlined above and I have the new mg hs trophy 2023 (73 plate) I do not agree that the issues have been resolved, I have issues with my sat nav giving wrong information and no way to update it and just this evening I had e call system failure, engine failure, traction control system failure to the level my car actually skidded, a car jumped a red light and my car didn't even acknowledge the vehicle and I had to brake hard but not even a warning light on the dash, a constant orange triangle with caution and my car is 3 days old... I spoke to a friend of mine who has the same car same plate and he said he has had the exact same issues with his, there is clearly an issue with the safety systems in this vehicle even with the newer model.

My Nice reply back to see what this has with regards to this fiasco and then I will for it like my first email

Subject: URGENT: Addressing Ongoing Concerns with My MG Vehicle

Dear MG Support Team,

I hope this email finds you in good health. I am writing to express my continuous concerns regarding the issues I have encountered with my MG vehicle and the recent DAB dongle fix. While I appreciate your previous response, I feel that my concerns have not been adequately addressed.

With regards to the DAB dongle fix, I would like to highlight the disparities between the 23 plate model and the face-lift version. The fact that the fix resulted in the removal of one USB connection while the new style boasts two USB ports raises significant questions. Please take a moment to review the attached images, and also to read your response from my first email I sent yourself which clearly demonstrate the differences between the two.

I kindly request that you elevate this matter to the relevant department to ensure accurate information is provided to customers regarding the fix. Additionally, the issues with the new radar and the reverse problem have caused immense frustration for me. It is disheartening to discover that other MG owners are also facing similar challenges. A brief search on various social media platforms will unveil a growing number of owners sharing their experiences and concerns.

Moreover, the inconvenience caused by the protracted repair process is deeply disappointing, especially for a new 23 model. I was not informed about the DAB dongle during the vehicle handover, exposing a deficiency in the sales and marketing procedures. I urge you to bring this oversight to the attention of the appropriate department to prevent such issues from arising in the future.

As recommended by Motability, I am eager to obtain mechanical feedback regarding my vehicle. I strongly advise reaching out to my dealer, Holdcroft Warrington, to obtain a comprehensive report on the sales process, aftermath, and the points highlighted in my initial email to Mr. Wong. Their report will provide valuable insights into the condition and performance of my vehicle before and after the dongle fitment.

Regrettably, MG's commitment to ensuring the satisfaction of all MG owners has not been fulfilled in this instance. I implore you to promptly escalate my concerns to the relevant channels within the company.

I have received an apology email from my dealer, Honda Warrington, expressing their willingness to address the inconvenience. However, their response fails to adequately address the concerns of myself and fellow MG owners. It is now time for a more comprehensive and thorough response.

Considering these ongoing challenges, I kindly request that you not only reply to my email but also engage with my dealers to discuss the potential options of either a replacement vehicle or returning my current vehicle to Motability's MG team for further investigation. This step is crucial in ensuring that the issues are satisfactorily resolved.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. I eagerly await your response.

Simon Wainwright.
This picture is not even of the writers car. This is a repost from long ago.

The problem with the radio on Hs models exclusive , excite, and Phev is hardware based.
Following the change to excite and trophy last year mg harmonised the head unit and other functions from a Windows based system to a new Android based system which is common to the rest of the range.
There are probably a few software glitches which will no doubt be addressed in the future. The maps are downloaded for free from time to time as they are now a better system than the maps installed on the Windows based head units and have free downloads whereas the earlier ones were all charged updates and a bit of a performance to download and install.
Overall theses cars are excellent value for money but the business of getting software updates is a bit haphazard and the dealers are often struggling to find and install the correct updates. I can say that once all settled the cars usually function well and reliable.

I also requH
This picture is not even of the writers car. This is a repost from long ago.

The problem with the radio on Hs models exclusive , excite, and Phev is hardware based.
Following the change to excite and trophy last year mg harmonised the head unit and other functions from a Windows based system to a new Android based system which is common to the rest of the range.
There are probably a few software glitches which will no doubt be addressed in the future. The maps are downloaded for free from time to time as they are now a better system than the maps installed on the Windows based head units and have free downloads whereas the earlier ones were all charged updates and a bit of a performance to download and install.
Overall theses cars are excellent value for money but the business of getting software updates is a bit haphazard and the dealers are often struggling to find and install the correct updates. I can say that once all settled the cars usually function well and reliable.

est that you initiate a compansation of £500.00 for my health deterioration and the terrible customer service and the current state of poor relationship between myself and MG motors I will provide evidence for my GP if you wish to have this in writing.

-----------
----------
-----—---
—---------—-
----------------

Yours sincerely,

Hi. I have today 30th April 2024 just found out after a service that I have had the 2 ports removed from my car. I was told at the time of service that my car was having a upgrade? I asked was it the fact that I have a 2022 HS Exclusive with a temporary black box for a ariel fitted to my window which was because of the lack of semi conductor chips . Yes was the answer.. I was not told I was going to be at loss of specification. Nor was I told anything about the DAB. I have gone ballistic as I have lost 25% of the cars specification from purchase and want it rectified immediately. Its like buying windows with frames, 1 year later the manufacturer comes back and says oops sorry we need to take back your windows because we don't want you to have them anymore, accept without consequences.. I don't think so. The car has even downgraded from its origional spec from the time of purchase. I simply won't let this lie. A class action should be considered by all MG customers who have been caught up in this theft because thats what it is.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom