johnb80

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi,
Thank you for allowing me to join this forum.

We run an Outlander PHEV and a BMW i3, yesterday we test drove an MG5 Trophy as a potential replacement for the Outlander. I was absolutely amazed at the level of refinement in the MG, the seats were amongst the best I've sat on. Performance of the car was incredible including the burning rubber smell when sports mode was tried. The downside was the infotainment screen was blank so we couldn't adjust the temperature or play with the 360 deg cameras. I fully expected to be disappointed with the car, I'm fan of German Engineering really but when we returned we placed our order which is apparent a mid term facelift - facelift, they couldn't say what has been changed though, hopefully the screen issues may have been updated and blank screen issues resolved. Looking forward to the end of June when our Hampstead Grey Trophy arrives!

Congratulations! We bought our Hampstead Grey Trophy about two months ago, and are delighted with it, and hope that you will be too.
The camera system isn't that high resolution, but it's very, very useful :)

Congratulations! We bought our Hampstead Grey Trophy about two months ago, and are delighted with it, and hope that you will be too.
The camera system isn't that high resolution, but it's very, very useful :)
As long as it gives you a rough idea of whats going on around that's great, don't exactly need HD for this.

What sort of range are you getting?

Any issues (like blank infotainment screens)?

Thanks - John

As long as it gives you a rough idea of whats going on around that's great, don't exactly need HD for this.

What sort of range are you getting?

Any issues (like blank infotainment screens)?

Thanks - John
Agreed about the cameras...

According to the GOM about 230 miles, but I reckon more like 210-220 - but that's using the full battery. I try to keep it within the 20-80% for battery health.

Isssues are fairly minor - the audio can't be turned off, only paused or volume set to minimum. I don't like getting into the car and the audio starts automatically. A simple on/off would have been better, IMHO

The infotainment screen can seem a bit unresponsive, especially swiping left for the setup screen, but then I haven't taken off the screen protector, which is often removed when the car is supplied. My dealer leaves them on, as apparently many owners just cut the tab off and leave it on.

The speed signs can be turned off, as they're not very accurate, but it resets every time that you restart the car. I'd leave it on, but you can't stop the sign flashing at you - so when it doesn't recognise the change to national speed limit from a 30, it flashes at you all the time, insisting that you're speeding.

I've never had a blank screen, though.

There are so many good things about the car, though, that outweigh these quirks - which might even be changed in future software updates. The overall package is excellent.

I've had the blank screen once or twice when android auto has been playing up. I had to lock/unlock the car to get it back but I now think that the long press on the home button would have reset the screen. It hasn't happened since I switched usb cable and android auto stopped misbehaving.
When I got my Trophy in January I was a bit surprised by how much really cold weather affected the range but it was on a day that didn't get above -4.
Now the weather is more normal I'm delighted with the car.

I've had the blank screen once or twice when android auto has been playing up. I had to lock/unlock the car to get it back but I now think that the long press on the home button would have reset the screen. It hasn't happened since I switched usb cable and android auto stopped misbehaving.
When I got my Trophy in January I was a bit surprised by how much really cold weather affected the range but it was on a day that didn't get above -4.
Now the weather is more normal I'm delighted with the car.
Hi Kevin,
Thanks for the update, were not new to EV's we run a Hybrid (Outlander PHEV) which the MG5 is to replace and my little pocket rocket a BMW i3. The i3 in summer at it's best will do around 145 miles, in winter in negative temperatures about 90 miles. If I opt to precondition the battery whilst it's plugged in, the mileage age increases to about 110 miles.
Lookin forward to delivery of our MG5.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom