Gearbox not locked when MG ZS EV is in "park"

Mgkev

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I thought I'd pass on a couple of points that might be worth noting.
Unlike a regular automatic, when you put the MG in "park" it does not lock the gearbox it is just another way of putting the handbrake on. If like me you park on a slope the handbrake is all that stops your car disappearing down the road. Since finding this out I now put a chock under each rear wheel when parked.
Secondly, the alloy wheels have no paint where they clamp to the hub flange. So I have smeared some copper grease on the area to prevent the wheels from corroding and seizing onto the flange
Hope this is useful, Kev..

I once hired a car and stayed in San Francisco for a few days. Had to park on the streets. It was a royal PITA and not recommended.
As you may know, San Francisco has several hills and I was parked on one every time. One morning I returned to the car to see that I had got a ticket because I didn't park with the wheels turned in to the curb. It's a ticket-able offence in San Francisco. $40.
I went in to argue the case and sat down with a legal person in charge. It was a 1 to one conversation and he seemed like a nice bloke. I told him that the law made perfect sense but pleaded that I was totally ignorant of this law as it doesn't exist in the UK. He was doubtful that I was telling the truth and said he was going to look into it, but fair play, let me off.
Point being that if you park on a hill, it's worth turning the wheels into the curb just in case the parking brake fails.

You were lucky with that ticket Stuart. You’re right about turning the wheels towards the kerb. Unfortunately my drive has a slope with low flower bed walls which would trash the bumpers. I’ve been using a couple of bricks but today Zi bought some plastic wheel chocks from my local motorists centre, £2.99 each and they really work.

I park mine on our drive and always plug the charger in. If the brakes do fail then the charger cable will stop it from running onto the road :giggle:

there is no gearbox ;)

this is common for all EVs, the parking brake acts mechanically on the rear wheel discs. (own mechanical locking) as long as the car does not slide in the snow or on ice, it holds

On my Ioniq, for the first few weeks of ownership, I never used to engage the parking brake.
The car was on a flat and it would move a little bit when pushed (like getting in and out) but there was always 'something' holding it there.
Then I realised it's probably better to engage the parking brake and it's just habit, now. Though when I park on a hill and switch off, I think it auto engages sometimes. I'll have to check that.

The gearbox is described as single speed as it acts as a reduction box and also incorporates the diff. There maybe an oil pump inside as well.

The gearbox is described as single speed as it acts as a reduction box and also incorporates the diff. There maybe an oil pump inside as well.

Apparently the gearbox is sealed for life. As such, no maintenance is required?

Hi Dave, it probably is sealed for life although there’s not much inside to wear down and contaminate the oil. However, it would be best practice to carry out an oil change around 80K miles. Traditional sealed for life automatics do improve changes with an oil change during their life time.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom