GeniePoint GenieFlex Hike

I don't like it but I assume it's not a rip-off i.e. their costs have gone up - so presumably have others who may follow suit.

They are, after all, a business trying to make a profit, and build reserves to expand their network (hopefully!!)

Still , while there's a choice vote with your feet (tyres??)

Fortunately I don't need to charge away from home that often.

My longest journey is a 200 mile round trip 3 or four times a year. With prices going up it makes me wish I'd bought a car with a bit more range rather than the MG5 SR, I could then do the journey on a single charge and avoid rapid charge price increases.

Last edited:
IMG_0146.jpeg

98 <redacted> pence a <redacted> kWh!

Just received my e-mail... I'd long given up trying to find a working Geniepoint charger and long given up any hope that they might reply to any of the faults recorded by me to their customer service... there are many better suppliers out there...

Hi Eveyone

Received an email today from GeniePoint stating their prices will be increase from 14th April!

Below is an extract of the salient points:-

See below our new revised GenieFlex tariff which will be introduced across the GeniePoint network:​
V5D0CHNswqHa_OgVdI8OmzQUlWMA29p7Wz3tc649z2JSey4jxSQRi3r-dd1tP7g-iGjguGjUuUKLMzlAnxoKDrGWX5LdVxijfHCOnYiGtiDPJelfEVwJxQtEN3KNMvZRw3hjRQStSOP_K4f9F7Bd0day_ms3-2mEzxqmM4hbsbwRcPjY9t5mfMoOyvIQMlvNY84CcUUfB4GjgLpW=s0-d-e1-ft

Quite depressing really, obviously they blame loss of government pricing support but that is a frightening amount to pay per kWh! :(

Just received my e-mail... I'd long given up trying to find a working Geniepoint charger and long given up any hope that they might reply to any of the faults recorded by me to their customer service... there are many better suppliers out there...
Me too . . .

This is a reason I dislike charging apps and prepayment. Having received no reply from Geniepoint, I phoned them 4 days ago to ask for my money back. They told me they had replied to my email, closed the account and refunded the money to the debit card I opened the account with.

Problem 1: I had not received their reply and they tell me they have problems with Gmail accounts.

Problem 2: The debit card they refunded no longer exists as I changed banks a couple of years ago.

Problem 3: They can't refund to a bank account or other debit card, only the debit card which no longer exists.

I am waiting for a call from a manager on Tuesday. I said I want to get my money back before they go out of busines (which won't be long at this rate). I'll update when I have more information.

I see they have now reduced prices to 79p peak, 75p off-peak.

Probably realised that nobody else followed their price hike and have rejoined the pack.

There are several new chargepoints in my area that have been taken over by Blink. These are 7kw chargers that were charging about 38p per kW/hr. As soon as Blink took them over the price raised to 69p per kW/hr. Since that time I have not seen a single car charging there. 8 chargers wasting away. Not surprising as there are multiple chargers only 1/2 mile away charging only 28p kW/hr. Also there are 3 new Instavolt fast chargers charging 75p kW/hr so customers have indeed taken their business elsewhere.

Finally got the information I needed from Geniepoint to get my money back. It's called an ARN number, something to do with Mastercard transactions. I gave my old bank the number and they were able to find the transaction and it's on the way to my new account. Geniepoint did absolutely f*** all to correct their mistake. I certainly won't be trusting any of their chargers.

What was their mistake?
Firstly, their email server has problems with gmail accounts (at least that's what the young kid told me when I hadn't received a response), and secondly, because I had never made a payment and changed my bank, they didn't confirm the card number to be credited (again, that could be down to the email not working).

After I pointed out their error, they did contact the bank and ask for the money back, but then didn't chase it up or even give them the ARN number.

I used Blink Charging three evenings in a row last week because their type 2 chargers were 50 yards from the home of the friend I was staying with and I preferred not to use my granny charger on her home electricity if I didn't have to. I thought the price (79p I think) was an absolute rip-off, and I only used the chargers because it was only for a top-ups for a few days.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom