getting air flow into the cabin without the fan operating?

BarryJ

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
When driving the car along, is it possible to get air flow into the MK1 ZS EV without opening a window and getting "ear drum buffering" or running the power hungry fan? If not, is it the same issue with the MG5? even with the sun roof tilted in the ZS the cabin gets stuffy, especially in the rear seat area and the boot where our greyhound travels. Any thought please?

Could be, seeing the amount of juice it uses when running !
The fan would use max ~300w on its own - I suggest you are also using the heating and/or air conditioning

To use just the fan, set the temperature to low, make sure air con is disabled and that should be just the fan.

RAM air is automatically active is MG cars when the climate is turned off and the recirculation is set to off

I have not found the fan or the ac to be particularly power hungry, but I have got into a habit of only using it when necessary.
I keep the fan on 1 most of the time which is sufficient and quiet.
Car draws 1Amp when stood usually and 2Amp with ac on background,

Ok, just tried the car, note, I always turn the recirculation off; now when stationary, the range remaining drops by 9 miles as soon as the left knob, identified as the "air conditioning mode selection switch" is pushed. The displayed range does not alter when the temperature is increased, and/or the fan speed is altered and/or the air conditioning is actually activated. This is the only car I have owned where you can't get any air flow through the cabin without having to run a fan. Surely there must be a setting somewhere for that to happen? Perhaps there is an outside air flow flap stuck closed?

Mk1: With the hvac system turned off, but the recirc cancelled, when moving forward there is some air coming in. The problem is trying to set the air direction flaps so that you can actually feel the air coming from the face-level vents. The control system for those air-direction flaps is diabolical. It is possible to achieve, but risks having an accident through inattention to the road!

Remember when we had these?
quarter glass.jpg

Remember when we had these?
View attachment 19351
Yes I do @Alb !.
I clearly remember my Dad having a car with these type of quarter windows fitted.
Back in the day, we paid a visit to a relative a hospital in Liverpool.
We returned to the car to find the quarter window on the drivers door, was open ?.
The swivel catch on the drivers window had been forced and the car broken into.
The radio had been removed from the car !.
At least the wheels 🛞 where still on the car.

Last edited:
Mk1: With the hvac system turned off, but the recirc cancelled, when moving forward there is some air coming in. The problem is trying to set the air direction flaps so that you can actually feel the air coming from the face-level vents. The control system for those air-direction flaps is diabolical. It is possible to achieve, but risks having an accident through inattention to the road!
Thank you for excellent feedback, is it the same in all MG EVs? Thanks

Just to confirm, you can do this on the mk1 ZS - turn off recirc, point the air in the desired direction using the touch screen. Turn off fan by dialling it down to zero. That's it! The vents are now open. To dramatically increase the airflow, tilt the sunroof open.

Thank you for your help, yes this is letting air in, not a lot, but better than nothing. The dealer who sold us the car didn't know this. Well done

Yes, the airflow isn't that great without wither the sunroof tilted open, or a window open a bit. Both these methods help draw the air through the vehicle. I use the sunroof method a lot, even in light rain, to pull air into the car.

Set the HVAC temperature to the same as the outside ambient temperature and the the AC off then you can do what you want with the fan and the draw on the HV battery will be negligible. The fan runs off the 12v.

Kithmo: And what re-charges the 12v battery? - the HV battery of course, plus the inefficiency of the DC-DC converter, so more is taken than the fan itself. Running anything electrical in the car winds up being drawn form the HV, plus a bit. Therefore, for maximum miles, the HVAC must be completely OFF.

Kithmo: And what re-charges the 12v battery? - the HV battery of course, plus the inefficiency of the DC-DC converter, so more is taken than the fan itself. Running anything electrical in the car winds up being drawn form the HV, plus a bit. Therefore, for maximum miles, the HVAC must be completely OFF.

But what is worse, as having the window open increases drag?

I wouldn't know where to start with quantifying any such drag. Who knows, it might reduce drag!

A study showed that upto 50 mph, open windows are more efficient, over 50 mph, AC is more efficient. However, I think you would be hard pushed to notice any difference in having a window open or having a fan running on the actual range of the car. Other external factors will have far more of an effect (incline, wind, rain, temperature, etc).

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom