Getting MG4 Trophy LR this week

STG

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hello All,

Having just had a 7Kw Solar Panel roof install in Jan 24, I also had the opportunity to install the Zappi EV charger as part of the Solar panel/Batteries setup, the installer did it for free.
So I started to look at a few EV's from the main car companies and liked a few models but they were all quite painful for me to sit in (due to spinal injury) apart from the very expensive VW ID5.

Anyway, on Friday we both had a hour or two spare after visiting a garden centre in Worcester and I decided we could drive to Redditch which was only about 15 miles away and we could try sitting in an MG4 to see how it compared to other electric cars.

We reached the dealership and walked in through the door and I said to the wife, that's the one I want pointing to the lovely orange MG4.

Then I got a tap on the shoulder and looked around to see someone I once knew but not seen for 8 years and it turns out he was the MG Sale person which was great because I knew he could be trusted. So we had a bit of a chat and then he showed us around the MG4. I sat in it and played with the seat and found it very comfortable and this made my mind up. So we all went through the numbers and deals etc to see how much it would cost and we decided to go for the Trophy Long Range in Red.

We got it at 0% on PCP and got £2000 knock off the total price if I was prepared to take one from their March allowance which had several in the yard outside instead of getting one pre-ordered and waiting a few weeks/months.

Anyway hopefully picking it up the weekend and the one reason for this long post is to ask a question I forgot to ask in the salesroom.

What charging cables are supplied with the MG4 Trophy, I saw one charger cable loose in one of the car boots but having read the nice manual someone here has made up says that MG Cars supply a granny cable and I can remember what connectors were on that cable, The manual then talks about a type 2 to type 2 cable but does not mention it is supplied in a new car, so the question does a type 2 to type 2 cable get supplied with a new MG4 Trophy Long Range?

ps, If I have to buy a type 2 to type 2 cable does anyone know a good website?
Thanks

Welcome to the forum!

Great choice of car and a great colour. (Second only to the blue of course.)

It's likely you'll only get a 13A plug charger (granny cable) with the car. The salesman will probably try to sell you a type 2 cable as an extra, but you can probably get one for less on Amazon or somewhere like that. It's something you only need if you're using a public AC charger which probably isn't going to be very often, so you can take your time to find a good bargain.

Note that although there seems to be no space to store anything under the bonnet, you can actually chuck a type 2 cable in its bag on top of the plastic tray there and it will fit nicely, held in place by the bonnet itself.

Type 2 cables are all over Amazon.

New cars only come with single phase chargers inbuilt so you dont need the heavier 3 phase type

From the online manual:

Note: Chargers of up to 7kW power output are
supplied via standard household single phase power.
Any chargers that are rated above this, 11kW for
example, will require a 3 phase power supply.

I think if you use a 3 phase cable on a 22kW 3 phase charger you should get an 11 kW charge rate on an MG4.

I Don't know if this applies to all models. Someone will be along later with a definitive answer I expect.

I think if you use a 3 phase cable on a 22kW 3 phase charger you should get an 11 kW charge rate on an MG4.
Yes, but only if that vehicle has a three phase charger (metal in all the medium sized pins in the car's charging socket). If it has a single phase charger (2 of the 5 medium sized pins have no metal), then it will get 6.6kW from a 32A EVSE, or 3.6kW from an 11kW EVSE.

My understanding is that some MG4s get 3-phase on-board chargers, others the single phase 6.6kW max OBC.

You my find my guide useful MG4 Trophy - a Guide

The current MG4 Trophy will only charge at max 7kW (AC).
I have already read this great manual, and will be taking it with me when I collect the MG4 just in case I need to do something and the salesperson forgot to setup something. So thank you for writing it. :)

I have also wrote a to do list to check for from the many comments on this forum, so I know what to look for/setup whilst at the pickup/handover.

I did buy a Type 2 -Type 2 7kw 5m lg cable from Amazon, one which has a few hundred 5* reviews, as you never know the quality of some Amazon products

Got a granny charger with my mg4 put a big cable from plug in side my garage then put a plug with cover charge up from 12am to 4am £3 from the grid then I get the solar panels to do the rest

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back