Getting Started in the Electric World…

Knuttt

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi Everyone
I successfully placed my order this morning for a new long range Exclusive in a rather fetching red. Hopefully will be all ready for collection on 1st Sept for new registration etc. 🎉😎🎉
As a new comet to everything electric I’m hoping someone can point me to a helpful resource for getting started.
We were already with Octopus but have now switched to their Go tariff and will eventually look at a home charging box in the coming months.
What I’m a bit daunted by is the number of options/apps required for charging away from home. Should I download and register with all the providers on the off chance I need to use them or go ad-hoc as and when I get to a charger?
I didn’t see a FAQ on the site for stuff like this but if there us one please let me know.
Cheers

Andy

Hi Everyone
I successfully placed my order this morning for a new long range Exclusive in a rather fetching red. Hopefully will be all ready for collection on 1st Sept for new registration etc. 🎉😎🎉
As a new comet to everything electric I’m hoping someone can point me to a helpful resource for getting started.
We were already with Octopus but have now switched to their Go tariff and will eventually look at a home charging box in the coming months.
What I’m a bit daunted by is the number of options/apps required for charging away from home. Should I download and register with all the providers on the off chance I need to use them or go ad-hoc as and when I get to a charger?
I didn’t see a FAQ on the site for stuff like this but if there us one please let me know.
Cheers

Andy
Welcome to #teamred 👍🏽

As above, if you have regular routes then check for charging stations along those and sign up to the networks you think you'll need. If you like, take a run in your ice car to your various local sites to see where each charging point is and if it's working so you don't have to guess when the time comes.

Things are becoming slowly easier as more chargers become available with contactless payment though and you will soon come to know which ones work best for you.

The main thing is don't sweat it as it becomes second nature very quickly and do get yourself a home charger sooner rather than later.

Thank you everyone for the responses.

I had been browsing the forum on my mobile and honestly didn't see the FAQ section but now on my PC I can see it me staring me in the face!

Just in case anybody else needs it, here is the link:- FAQ.

Andy

get yourself a home charger sooner rather than later.
I agree.
In certain area’s the wait time for a wall box CAN be lengthy.
You MAY need your main fuse upgrading to 100 Amps if your electrics have not been upgraded recently.
Check the rating on your fuse.
If you do need an upgrade, this is controlled by your DNO.
Something worth looking into ASAP to avoid any delays.
They will also be able to tell you, if you are on a “Looped” supply or not.
As this can throw a spanner in the works, if you are.
This has been covered on the forum under another thread.
Definitely something to look into while you are waiting for your car !.

Check to see if you get a discount for using the app.

With BP pulse you pay around 23p on a rapid if you take out a monthly subscription. If you give them your card details and pay as you go it goes up to 29p and if you use contacless its 35p.

You have to be using there chargers regularly for the subscription option to make sense.

You have to be using there chargers regularly for the subscription option to make sense
Yeah - I am a Polar Plus subscriber but achieving good value for money on this system will be strongly based on your usage case of course.
Either your usage of the BP units is likely to be high and you recoup the cost of the monthly subscription, because of a lot of use, or you just want the security of owning a RFID card and are not that concerned about the outlay per month ?.
I don’t use the raids enough to recoup my monthly outlay, I know and accept this.
But I still choose to have the facility if I need to use the many BP units while we are travelling.
But I do believe the age of a subscription based services is now limited.
Contactless units are the preferred option, although the charging costs are likely to be more expensive.
Carrying a wallet full of RFID cards and a phone full of network App’s is not the way forward.

I had a good deal of 6 months free membership with BP and a £25 credit. Once the 6 months are up I'll cancel the subscription and keep with PAYG. I'll still be able to use the RFID and they'll take the cost if charge direct from my account.

Used them quite a bit before having mu Ohme fitted but now only use them on the rare occasions I'm away from home.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom