MG4 Glovebox rattles - Fixed !!

Jester27

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
I had this on my first MG4 but managed to resolve it easy enough once I knew where it was coming from.
It sounds like a vibration from the glovebox area.
I found it was the vents for the heating that come out of the bottom of the glovebox area in the footwell.
There is very little space between the vent and the surround.
So I think they touch ever so slightly hence the vibration sound.
I managed to stop this with a small piece of self adhesive felt that I'd bought to trim out the sunglasses holder and stop my Sunny's from tapping on the sides of the holder while driving.
Only downside with an EV, you hear everything else.

I managed to put a little piece of felt on the edges of the vents where they could rub the surround and hey presto it was quiet.
Just got the same issue with my replacement car so will be doing the same fix again today.
I've seen a few ask about it so thought I'd post my fix for it.
See vents here and how close they sit to the surround.
1000001603.jpg

Be carefull when moving them though as they appear to be friction fitted to the heater tube and can come loose.
Just go gentle if fitting a pad or felt or something to stop the vibrations.

Stopped mine on my first car, hopefully it will do the same later today.

Will post back later to confirm it fixed this one too.

I had this on my first MG4 but managed to resolve it easy enough once I knew where it was coming from.
I found it was the vents for the heating that come out of the bottom of the glovebox area in the footwell.
I managed to stop this with a small piece of self adhesive felt that I'd bought to trim out the sunglasses holder and stop my Sunny's from tapping on the sides of the holder while driving.

I managed to put a little piece of felt on the edges of the vents where they could rub the surround and hey presto it was quiet.
Just got the same issue with my replacement car so will be doing the same fix again today.
View attachment 12634

Be carefull when moving them though as they appear to be friction fitted to the heater tube and can come loose.

So useful and helpful. You star.

View attachment 12634

How bad was the vibration, could it be what some (including myself) are saying is a rumble/vibration at speeds above 50 mph. Did you get this vibration at any speed ?

So..
Just had a good look and I definitely think this is the culprit again.

So have put a little bit of felt on each part that can/does touch the surround.
1000001611.jpg

Will see how it does and post back
I will say it's more obvious when the plastics are cold.

Sometimes putting the heaters on makes it go.
On a plus note I also used the felt sheet to line the glovebox too.
Bit hard to get aligned with the sticky back but it'll do and it's not exactly on show.

1000001613.jpg

So..
Just had a good look and I definitely think this is the culprit again.

So have put a little bit of felt on each part that can/does touch the surround.
View attachment 12648

Will see how it does and post back
I will say it's more obvious when the plastics are cold.

Sometimes putting the heaters on makes it go.
On a plus note I also used the felt sheet to line the glovebox too.
Bit hard to get aligned with the sticky back but it'll do and it's not exactly on show.

View attachment 12649
You need to open up the Jester27 MG4 Fettling Shop!

Update
It worked 👍🏻

Just driven home 15 miles this morning ambient temp at around 9 Deg and not a murmur from the car.
Absolute silence
So the fix works

If you want to know what felt I bought it was from Amazon.

Sntieecr 10 Pieces Black Adhesive Back Felt Sheets, 1.6mm Thickness Fabric Sticky Back Sheets, A4 Size (21 x 30 cm) for DIY Craft and Halloween Decoraions https://amzn.eu/d/fHhEBEh

Which I've also used on the sunglasses box behind the light on the roof and I also lined my glove box and I still have loads left.

So if your glovebox is rattling follow my instructions above and enjoy the silence 😉👍🏻

Last edited:
How bad was the vibration, could it be what some (including myself) are saying is a rumble/vibration at speeds above 50 mph. Did you get this vibration at any speed ?
Hiya I had this issue and there is a warped panel underneath, the dealer send pics to MG and awaiting guidance to fix, I’m also having issues with no QR code coming up to bind to the app!

Hiya I had this issue and there is a warped panel underneath, the dealer send pics to MG and awaiting guidance to fix, I’m also having issues with no QR code coming up to bind to the app!
Have you looked under hints and tips re qr code

View attachment 12634

First car!!!! Replacement Car!!!! What's going on here ....What's the story here????

You are obviously new to this forum. Look for oil leak for starters (being resolved), warped undertray( being resolved), uncomfortable seats (owner specific), key locking you in the car(not loads of reports yet), vibration when driving (not loads yet) preheating the car on app and other software version issues...new model niggles and issues. Enough to put some off but not enough to abandon ship...just yet

First car!!!! Replacement Car!!!! What's going on here ....What's the story here????
1st car was rejected due to quite a few issues and it was early days with issues not being as widely known.

Oil Leak, Bluetooth constantly dropping out, middle screen going blank, major seat comfort issue.

2nd car is better but still has some issues, which we are now more aware of and hopefully will get resolved.
It didn't put me off getting the 2nd one as I do love the car.

1st car was rejected due to quite a few issues and it was early days with issues not being as widely known.

Oil Leak, Bluetooth constantly dropping out, middle screen going blank, major seat comfort issue.

2nd car is better but still has some issues, which we are now more aware of and hopefully will get resolved.
It didn't put me off getting the 2nd one as I do love the car.
How did you reject it? Was it a PCP?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel