Going forward in reverse

tonymc

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Had a strange one today, was parked in a car park, nose in while charging. Stopped the charge, got back in the car and selected reverse. The camera came on etc but on releasing the footbrake the car moved forward. I tried reselecting park and tried again, still went forward. Even in neutral it still was creeping forward.

A few full resets later, the car would reverse, found it very strange.

Anyone else seen this ?

It won't have been in ready mode so will have just rolled down the hill. You have to turn it off before you finish charging then turn it back on again after unplugging.

It won't have been in ready mode so will have just rolled down the hill. You have to turn it off before you finish charging then turn it back on again after unplugging.
It was off and locked while charging, disconnected the charger and then turned it all on.

I suspect it had somehow just got a bit confused when the charger got disconnected.

It was off and locked while charging, disconnected the charger and then turned it all on.

I suspect it had somehow just got a bit confused when the charger got disconnected.

A few times I've had the car not go into drive when selected, I suspect it's because I'm not doing it quite right as far as the car is concerned and I'm not seeing Ready on the dash. Shut down and try again usually sorts it.

You cannot select a gear or release park brake if its not ready

You cannot select a gear or release park brake if its not ready
If you don't quite get the start right then you can. It does the 'HV battery' warning and says something like 'select neutral to start'.

If you don't quite get the start right then you can. It does the 'HV battery' warning and says something like 'select neutral to start'.
Mine was fully ready, no warnings, just wouldn't go backwards !!!

Was a bit worrying the closer it got the wall !!

I've had this a couple of times, everything looks fine and you can select drive/reverse but the hand brake will not release and the car will not move.

I've found that if the driver's door is open (like you are looking for the white lines) the car will go into D or R but as soon as you accelerate and the parking brake goes off, it will drop into neutral. A bit disconcerting if there are obstacles downhill!

I've found that if the driver's door is open (like you are looking for the white lines) the car will go into D or R but as soon as you accelerate and the parking brake goes off, it will drop into neutral. A bit disconcerting if there are obstacles downhill!
Came up just this week at work talking about robotic safety "nothing stops you driving your car with the door open"... "um... actually..."

Solution to that is don't drive with the door open :LOL:
I just angle the electrically operated door mirrors down if I'm looking for the white lines, that's what they're there for. ;)(y)

Angel Running GIF by CBS

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom