good park and ride facility

RossN

Established Member
Reaction score
Went to a park and ride for Edinburgh today to see the charging facility there....Pretty good with 32 AC chargers, 2 Chademo and 2 150 KW CCS. All in all pretty impressive but almost empty until lockdown ends

Attachments

• IMG_1718.jpeg
    IMG_1718.jpeg
    599.6 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1717.jpeg
    IMG_1717.jpeg
    703.9 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1719.jpeg
    IMG_1719.jpeg
    313.1 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1720.jpeg
    IMG_1720.jpeg
    303.3 KB · Views: 132
Which raises a question I always have about these types of locations.

If I wanted to go to town for the day (post lockdown lunch, film, stroll) would it be acceptable for me to plug our car in, get on the bus, and leave it there hogging the charger for maybe 5 or more hours.

Given the limited number of chargers currently available at locations we use (supermarkets currently) my wife and I make it a policy to return and remove the ZS after an hour to allow others a fair chance (this does not necessarily seem to be reciprocal though) although it would sometimes be easier just to leave it.

My wife always gets concerned if she sees someone waiting when she returns and ends up apologising for using the charger

If I wanted to go to town for the day (post lockdown lunch, film, stroll) would it be acceptable for me to plug our car in, get on the bus, and leave it there hogging the charger for maybe 5 or more hours.

Given the limited number of chargers currently available at locations we use (supermarkets currently) my wife and I make it a policy to return and remove the ZS after an hour to allow others a fair chance (this does not necessarily seem to be reciprocal though) although it would sometimes be easier just to leave it.

My wife always gets concerned if she sees someone waiting when she returns and ends up apologising for using the charger
Good question.

I would assume that the 7Kwh have no time limit but the rapid chargers will have a 45 minute limit.

All the CPS rapid chargers in my local area are 45 minute limit. There seems to be a push on to create more 7Kwh chargers. I queried this with my local council and was told that they are putting them in for tourists and people passing through in the hope that they will use local facilities.

One problem is that they only have one rapid charger at each location and they are in demand.

That’s exactly what destination chargers are for - plugging in and leaving.

Not rapids. Never rapids - you should be conscious of only being plugged in for as long as it takes to charge. This is why they often have overstay fees.

I would assume that the 7Kwh have no time limit but the rapid chargers will have a 45 minute limit.
Who then is responsible for monitoring this? Do the P & R staff issue parking tickets? When you say about a 45 minute does this just mean it stops charging after this time or does it add costs to my bank card that I used (provided it is contactless payment). If it doesn't charge me then there is still nothing to stop me selfishly blocking the space.
That’s exactly what destination chargers are for - plugging in and leaving
I wouldn't have regarded a P & R as a destination. Hotels and similar yes then it would be left overnight.

good points. The 7kw are all no limit and there are specifically designed for commuters with much cheaper prices. The rapids are there only for charging quickly and have expensive overstay charges. I would say it will all work pretty well once (and if...) things get back to normal. They even have 2 chargers in disabled bays which I have never seen before.

Who then is responsible for monitoring this? Do the P & R staff issue parking tickets? When you say about a 45 minute does this just mean it stops charging after this time or does it add costs to my bank card that I used (provided it is contactless payment). If it doesn't charge me then there is still nothing to stop me selfishly blocking the space.

I wouldn't have regarded a P & R as a destination. Hotels and similar yes then it would be left overnight.
it is free to park and the overstay charges in the rapid bays are charged automatically as you give them bank details on your card.

Also...everything is under security cameras and if folks block any bays with ICE cars they will be fined

Not having an app also makes the MG rapid charging harder to monitor. With most other EV’s you can get an alert on your phone when you’ve reached a % of charge.

It is and some chargers are easier to see while sitting in your car...the ones in this place are almost impossible but the battery level comes up on the dash so I just chill and read/surf the internet/have a coffee. Always takes less than 1 hr to get up to 80% no matter how low you are

Hi RossN - where is that? It looks like a great venue for the future meet of members (Scottish members predominantly but any of our English neighbours that want to come up will be welcomed I'm sure!) when the restrictions are lifted, although at 30p per kwh, I'm not sure those who don't need to charge will be doing it! 🤣 🤣

I'm sure there'll be a cheaper charger nearby!

Cheers

Bloggsy

What is a park and ride if it’s not a destination? The intention is you park and get a bus to somewhere more built up, where you work or are shopping or whatever and spend several hours there......

Hi RossN - where is that? It looks like a great venue for the future meet of members (Scottish members predominantly but any of our English neighbours that want to come up will be welcomed I'm sure!) when the restrictions are lifted, although at 30p per kwh, I'm not sure those who don't need to charge will be doing it! 🤣 🤣

I'm sure there'll be a cheaper charger nearby!

Cheers

Bloggsy
it is Wallyford park and ride

It is interesting how the charging at Chargeplace Scotland works. All the chargers in (where I live) West Lothian are free...even the rapid ones and I think all in Edinburgh as free also. Mid Lothian, East Lothian and Fife and perhaps other authorities charge. No idea why

Do you need to pay for parking if you’re not charging or do you just pay for the bus? If there is a parking charge I can see the destination chargers being abused by EVs that don’t actually need to charge.

Do you need to pay for parking if you’re not charging or do you just pay for the bus? If there is a parking charge I can see the destination chargers being abused by EVs that don’t actually need to charge.
parking it totally free to encourage people to use public transport into Edinburgh. There are so many chargers that it can prob cope with charger hoggers

Noticed that my local station has a raft of new 7kW chargers being installed. Going to be a wee bit disappointed if they're going to be charging that much to use when the next station down is still free.

parking it totally free to encourage people to use public transport into Edinburgh. There are so many chargers that it can prob cope with charger hoggers
That’s brilliant, really good stuff.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom