Government Grant AXED

BarryH

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Just had a call from the dealer where I was supposed to be having an extended test drive of New ZS tomorrow to say that they came in this morning to find mail that the Government £2,500 grant has been cut with immediate effect!

Has anyone else heard this and what does this do for your plans to buy the new ZS Long Range Facelift?

Dealer said they are waiting to see if MG will respond with a discount!

Doesn't this mean the Trophy now has a LIST price BEFORE PICG above the new £32k threshold?? (£33495) - and therefore gets no grant at all 😲

Doesn't this mean the Trophy now has a LIST price BEFORE PICG above the new £32k threshold?? (£33495) - and therefore gets no grant at all 😲
Well, I don't think it changes the List Price because all illustrations I have been given show List then taken off My Deposit, Manufacture Deposit Contribution then Government Grant. So the Base White SE should still be around £30,995 and Blue Trophy Connect £34,540.

Thanks for the link. So the grant (PiCG) has been reduced from £2,500 to £1,500 and the value of vehicles eligible for the funding assistance reduced from £35,000 to £32,000 meaning that only the base white SE would be eligible without a price reduction from MG until the 51 kWh Facelift in 2022 Q2 and that only until the government slash the PiCG again overnight.

Does this mean that all those thousands or Facelift ZS EV orders are in jepody? as it is my understanding that the grant is applied not at the time of ordering but at the time of payment and delivery.

it is my understanding that the grant is applied not at the time of ordering but at the time of payment and delivery.

It is my experience (happened with my current EV), that orders placed prior to midnight the day before the new criteria takes effect are honoured at the pre-cut rate.

Maybe a different model from direct subsidies is required, ie scrapping, or at least reducing, VAT on new EV car sales.

I placed an order for a face lift Trophy about 4 weeks ago with the Chorley lad's.
When this news popped up this morning, I called and have been told that orders that have been placed and the PICG has been applied for are NOT affected by the news today.
I have been assured that my car will NOT be affected by this reduction in the grant.

I placed an order for a face lift Trophy about 4 weeks ago with the Chorley lad's.
When this news popped up this morning, I called and have been told that orders that have been placed and the PICG has been applied for are NOT affected by the news today.
I have been assured that my car will NOT be affected by this reduction in the grant.
At least you know where you stand on that - you're sorted. I had an extended test drive scheduled yesterday morning, but I curtailed it after 10 minutes when I was unable to get the Nav to load any maps - it just hung so I returned to the showroom and when the salesman who couldn't get it to work either sent the car off to the workshop I left with a promise for them to reschedule. When they called today I said "fixed is it? I'm free on Thursday" ... Pause ... "Ah yes but as the grant is cut and we don't know what MG's response will be you'd best wait until we do" OH!

At least you know where you stand on that - you're sorted. I had an extended test drive scheduled yesterday morning, but I curtailed it after 10 minutes when I was unable to get the Nav to load any maps - it just hung so I returned to the showroom and when the salesman who couldn't get it to work either sent the car off to the workshop I left with a promise for them to reschedule. When they called today I said "fixed is it? I'm free on Thursday" ... Pause ... "Ah yes but as the grant is cut and we don't know what MG's response will be you'd best wait until we do" OH!
Miles has responded too the grant reduction question on another thread.
And he writes :-

"If the dealer had started a grant application, then the grant is locked in at the £2500 level".

So that would imply to me, that customers who have already paid deposits and the order has been submitted by the dealer.
And the Gov grant app has been submitted by the dealer also, then it will still be honoured by the previous grant offer.

Just had a call from the dealer where I was supposed to be having an extended test drive of New ZS tomorrow to say that they came in this morning to find mail that the Government £2,500 grant has been cut with immediate effect!

Has anyone else heard this and what does this do for your plans to buy the new ZS Long Range Facelift?

Dealer said they are waiting to see if MG will respond with a discount

Emailed my dealer all orders received before 31st Dec will be honored with. no price rise and no decrease in Gov grant. So get your order in quick.
Where is your dealer @Slipstream ?? I test drove on Monday and planned to order today after a couple of days to make my mind up on colour. Finally decided on red only to be told of this increase today and the new quote adds the best part of £70 a month. Couldn’t justify the additional per month so was back to the drawing board but if places are honouring the old price then I will get an order in asap!

Emailed my dealer all orders received before 31st Dec will be honored with. no price rise and no decrease in Gov grant. So get your order in quick.
Which dealer is this please @Slipstream? I thought MG have said they would honour orders placed between 8-14 December, which had not yet gone onto the portal? Which dealer is willing to honour until 31 December?

Last edited:
They'll just have some already ordered, a number of cars they think is more than enough until end of month. They can't apply for the grant now. Would be good to know which dealer it is 👍

leasing on the trophy has gone up with a bump looking at 4 leasing company's i was looking at in the last 2 days this may slow the orders down.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom