Granny charge connected but not charging

dmaudsley82

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Good morning all!

I’ve recently joined the EV revolution and enjoying it. I have a potential issue though, the car will charge without issue at home on my pod point but at work with the three pin charger it will sometimes take up to 3 hours to start charging.
I’m using an outdoor 13a rated extension lead, the car shows that it’s connected and ‘In charging’ but the time remaining doesn’t move from 17 hours. After some unlocking/ locking it will eventually charge. The lights on the black box indicate that it’s charging fine. Am I doing something wrong when I’m connecting it?

Good morning all!

I’ve recently joined the EV revolution and enjoying it. I have a potential issue though, the car will charge without issue at home on my pod point but at work with the three pin charger it will sometimes take up to 3 hours to start charging.
I’m using an outdoor 13a rated extension lead, the car shows that it’s connected and ‘In charging’ but the time remaining doesn’t move from 17 hours. After some unlocking/ locking it will eventually charge. The lights on the black box indicate that it’s charging fine. Am I doing something wrong when I’m connecting it?
Does it do the same if you use the granny (3 pin charger) at home ?

I haven’t tried yet……….
I’ve plugged it in at work three times and only the second charge worked as you would expect.
I should probably rule it out but the lights on the box indicate it’s charging so I’m reluctant to focus on a power issue 🤔

Does the % charge change at all?
Not at all in the state I describe above, I know there is always a delay in commencing the charge and it may take a few minutes to display an actual charge time but neither figure moves until I start locking/unlocking etc

By way of an update I tried charging at work yesterday and it was successful. I made sure to have all doors closed and plugged the car socket in first and then switch the plug on. Last thing was locking the car.
Seems a bit of small thing but could still having the boot open whilst I connected everything have caused the issue?

By way of an update I tried charging at work yesterday and it was successful. I made sure to have all doors closed and plugged the car socket in first and then switch the plug on. Last thing was locking the car.
Seems a bit of small thing but could still having the boot open whilst I connected everything have caused the issue?
Boot open shouldn't cause a problem, opening and closing the boot whilst charging doesn't interrupt the charge so having it open shouldn't affect it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom