Granny Charger Issue?

Popsie5859

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi just wondering has anyone encountered the following problem using the supplied MG granny charger. Today just to try it out I attempted to use the granny charger supplied with the car. I park about I meters from my house so an extension lead was required. I have a heavy duty lead with a cross section 2.5mm2 plugged the charger into the car doors locked plugged into the extension then direct into a 13amp ring main socket, switched on within 30 seconds my whole electrics in the house tripped out. Switched off unplugged reset the electrics and tried a different socket same result, next I tried a standard extension lead same result, disconnected everything and brought the charger into the house. Plugged it into the socket first used with the extension lead all the lights on the charger came on and the main household electric stayed on so it only appears to be an issue as the car starts to draw a charge. Is it something I am doing wrong?

I have used an extension lead without any problem. I would suggest borrowing another charger from the garage to see if you have a similar problem. If you do then maybe you need to get your electrics checked by an electrician.

For a short test use the shortest lead possible.
Plug it all in but you plug thetype 2 end into the car after the lights on the charger are lit.
You may not be following the correct order of connecting

I whould not try using an extension lead don’t think they recommend using them
It may well be the case unfortunately I can't get the car close enough to the house to use the supplied charger directly as it is so short. I think I will probably have to either get a 10mtr granny charger or a wall charger it's just a matter of deciding the best option for my circumstances.

The instructions, for the granny, in the manual are a bit weird, it says lock the car, then it says connect the 7 pin plug. :unsure: I didn't think that would work as the plug won't go in if the car is locked, will it ?

It may well be the case unfortunately I can't get the car close enough to the house to use the supplied charger directly as it is so short. I think I will probably have to either get a 10mtr granny charger or a wall charger it's just a matter of deciding the best option for my circumstances.
I take it your extensionn cable if on a reel is fully unwound?

For a short test use the shortest lead possible.
Plug it all in but you plug thetype 2 end into the car after the lights on the charger are lit.
You may not be following the correct order of connecting
Thanks have tried your suggestion regarding connection still the same problem thanks though.

Does it trip if you plug it into the extension and turn the power on without plugging it into the car ?
If it's taking a while to trip, it may be the plug getting hot. I think someone on here had a loose fuse in their granny plug,

It's a long shot, but you just might have an issue with the mains polarity in your house being incorrect. I have seen this happen. The whole house was wired so that the live and neutral were reversed. On high power switch mode psu's such as the one embedded in the car, they sometimes use a system which is sensitive to the mains polarity. The easiest way to check this is to try your granny unit at a friend's house. If it works (with the extension lead) then I should get your house mains checked.

Does it trip if you plug it into the extension and turn the power on without plugging it into the car ?
If it's taking a while to trip, it may be the plug getting hot. I think someone on here had a loose fuse in their granny plug,
No I can plug the extension into the mains socket then the charger into that. All it's lights come in monetarily then the power light remains on. I can leave it like that no problems. It's when I plug it into the car it trios the mains household out after 30 seconds so no time for the plug to get hot.

It's a long shot, but you just might have an issue with the mains polarity in your house being incorrect. I have seen this happen. The whole house was wired so that the live and neutral were reversed. On high power switch mode psu's such as the one embedded in the car, they sometimes use a system which is sensitive to the mains polarity. The easiest way to check this is to try your granny unit at a friend's house. If it works (with the extension lead) then I should get your house mains checked.
That's an idea thanks I do have a tester a,and all the sockets throughout the house checkout as all correct but I will try what you suggest thanks.

Just to confirm, is the RCD tripping or is it the MCB tripping?
RCD trip means there’s a earth related fault, power is leaking to earth.
MCB tripping means you are over loading the circuit.
Could be a faulty RCD or circuit breaker.

If you have a dual RCD consumer unit, try it out on circuits on each & check if it still occurs. This will tell you if it’s a faulty RCD/MCB.

Also, quickly try it out at someone else’s house - ask your neighbour?

Just to confirm, is the RCD tripping or is it the MCB tripping?
RCD trip means there’s a earth related fault, power is leaking to earth.
MCB tripping means you are over loading the circuit.
Could be a faulty RCD or circuit breaker.

If you have a dual RCD consumer unit, try it out on circuits on each & check if it still occurs. This will tell you if it’s a faulty RCD/MCB.

My consumer unit is just MCB's it might be the earth leakage trip. I have all the sockets in my house and they are all showing as correct so will speak with an electrician thanks.

It does sound like the in-rush current is tripping either a fault or incorrectly specified MCB / RCD,

Could you post a photo of what trips please?

My consumer unit is just MCB's it might be the earth leakage trip. I have all the sockets in my house and they are all showing as correct so will speak with an electrician thanks.
To be honest with you, if you really do have an incredibly old consumer unit with no RCD, I do not think it is safe for you to use anything mains powered outside ie the granny charger.

Great shout !.
Do you have a three pin plug socket, on the same face plate as your electric cooker by any chance.
If so, try plugging the extension into that socket outlet, then into the "Granny" and try charging the car.
The cooker outlet is very likely to be on it's own dedicated circuit in the consumer unit ( fuse box ).
If this does NOT trip, then you have narrowed it down a little to a possible fault with the ring main circuits or the breaker.
If it still trips on the dedicated cooker circuit, it could be a earth fault that affects the whole house.
If your C.U. offers no protection, you will need to consider installing a new dedicated & protected circuit.
With a external IP65 rated wall socket outlet at the very least.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom