Gridserve exeter ikea

Dt99idr

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Tried to do a quick top up here today. Failed miserably. Chargers available, others had been using, but tries two connectors and neither workers. Both charger and car recognised the cable had been plugged in, but suspiciously the car didn't lock the cable?
Any thoughts on what I might have been doing wrong?

I don’t have an mg5 yet - but did you switch the car off completely when trying to charge? Were there any error messages displayed on charger? Did you have to activate the charge with an app? (e.g. pod point chargers need app to start charge)

Last edited:
Older chargers sometimes have problems with the MG5 and other newer cars.
I find that as long as the car is off and the door closed when I press 'start' on a charger it will normally go fine. If the doors are open, even if I close them immediately it will fail and I have to go again.

I've had similar issues with the new Gridserve units.

In practise it should be simple now no Ecotricity app is required and you can just use contactless but in reality they sometimes just point-blank refuse to charge.

I've never had a failure using the old units/app.

I'm told but haven't tried it that holding the connector in tightly solves the issue and the Car locks into place and then charges fine. Speculation that the weight and shape of the connector means initially doesn't connect properly.

We also experienced this at Ikea Exeter, decided to look into it and come back, done neither yet, so I will follow this as there seem to be answers to the problem right here.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom