• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Gridserve Rapid Charging Issue

I am also having lots of problems with gridserve and my MG5 Long Range. I had not noticed whether it was a double charging issue but I regularly have the error message that the car did something unexpected. I had 3 attempts at charging today on a trip along the M1 to the M5 at 3 different service stations before I could get one to work. I was down to 16% charge. It is really spoiling my EV experience. I was starting to think that there was a problem with my car.

All, I have been in DM contact with Gridserve. They are allegedly looking into it, but they need more data. As all of my driving at the moment can be done on one charge (at home) I haven't need of Gridserve. But please could I ask all of you who are using Gridserve to report issues directly to them (They were quick to respond via Twitter). The more we report (with date, time conditions detail) the better chance we have of a solution. Thanks in advance

Hi all,

For your information I have recently had this reply from gridserve.

"Dear Gavin,

Thank you for contacting us and we’re sorry for any inconvenience you experienced.

We understand that some MG owners have been having intermittent issues at some of our Medium Power charger sites (up to 60kW rather than the High Power chargers that are up to 350kW).

We are working with both ABB, the equipment provider, and MG, the manufacturer, to investigate and resolve this issue. In the meantime, we also welcome any feedback on recent experiences (where charging worked well or didn’t) as it may help with the investigation.

Warm regards,

Yanka | Customer Engagement Team | GRIDSERVE
e: support@gridserve.com | t: +44 333 1234 333 "

Had this Saturday, although my car has other issues.

Hopefully I didn't upset anyone leaving the car in the charging bay not connected to the charger for 5mins or so, but the failed charging attempt caused "System fault" and I had to nip to use the facilities.

When I came back the fault had cleared and I managed to move it out of the charging bay (Thankfully as I wasn't looking forward to waiting for the breakdown service)

Wifey just done the 1st long journey in our car. Gridserve on the way down didn't work, sat on phone for hours. Finds a different charging company, no problem. Charges fully at destination at podpoint tesco and with a granny charger. Journey back, pulls into gridserve and can't charge again. Is there a definitive answer to this or just sheer pot luck?

Anyone know if this has been definitively resolved?

I had to use the dual CCS Gridserve charger at Winchester South services heading home after a weekend in London and it worked fine; would have been in a bit of a pickle if it hadn't.

Anyone know if this has been definitively resolved?

I had to use the dual CCS Gridserve charger at Winchester South services heading home after a weekend in London and it worked fine; would have been in a bit of a pickle if it hadn't.
They now show on the screen ‘dual charging available’ if they’ve been upgraded.

Would say that despite me being generally critical of the company, their customer service team have been brilliant the last couple of times I’ve had a problem at Wetherby services.

They now show on the screen ‘dual charging available’ if they’ve been upgraded.

Would say that despite me being generally critical of the company, their customer service team have been brilliant the last couple of times I’ve had a problem at Wetherby services.
Ignore me about the first part, wrong thread.

Second part definitely relevant.

I used Woolley Edge North on the M1 on Friday for a quick splash and dash on the medium charger which I think was installed already as it's right by the service area doors.

No problems encountered, plugged in, flashed my contactless and off it went. There was a row of 10 high speed chargers, newly installed on the far side of the car park that looked brand new. Decent alternative to Skelton Lake with it's Ionicity hub

Hi All,

I had my car serviced last week. As part of the service I mentioned about the Gridserve issue to see if there were any technical bulletins that might highlight a resolution to the Gridserve rapid charge problems that we have all been suffering. Chiswick MG (who were really good by the way) contacted MG technical department (because they had not received any specific advice). They have finally confirmed that there is indeed an issue with some Gridserve chargers. The issue is a cable check tolerance routine that the charger makes on the vehicle. For some unknown reason this check fails with MGs only.

The good news is that Gridserve is working with MG to resolve. The bad news is that there is no timescale for resolution. So all who are following this thread, please continue to report issues to Gridserve & MG directly as this may raise the issue up the priority list.

Hi All,

I had my car serviced last week. As part of the service I mentioned about the Gridserve issue to see if there were any technical bulletins that might highlight a resolution to the Gridserve rapid charge problems that we have all been suffering. Chiswick MG (who were really good by the way) contacted MG technical department (because they had not received any specific advice). They have finally confirmed that there is indeed an issue with some Gridserve chargers. The issue is a cable check tolerance routine that the charger makes on the vehicle. For some unknown reason this check fails with MGs only.

The good news is that Gridserve is working with MG to resolve. The bad news is that there is no timescale for resolution. So all who are following this thread, please continue to report issues to Gridserve & MG directly as this may raise the issue up the priority list.
Good to know thanks.

PS I got my Facelift from them they were very helpful.

There isn't any choice of petrol brands at a services is there? Why would electric charging be different?

There are fairly good reasons to avoid motorways with an EV I suppose but that's not one of them.
I love motorway driving and am quite prepared to take the hit with higher charging costs - as I would when driving an ICE car.

I love motorway driving and am quite prepared to take the hit with higher charging costs - as I would when driving an ICE car.

All well and fine... however, if you had an ICE car you'd have the option of travelling a few miles away from the motorway and being able to buy the same fuel at a discount, which doesn't happen for EV owners... same operator, same price wherever you top up...

There is currently an issue with all Gridserve sites and at present you will not be able to charge using Allstar EV Card.

It is a site issue rather than a card issue

All well and fine... however, if you had an ICE car you'd have the option of travelling a few miles away from the motorway and being able to buy the same fuel at a discount, which doesn't happen for EV owners... same operator, same price wherever you top up...
Good reason for that is that with petrol you are not getting a discount off the motorway, you are paying a premium on the motorway.
Petrol on the motorway is more expensive than elsewhere, with electrons they are the same price as elsewhere.
Different way of looking at it :)

Has the prefacelift MG5 and Gridserve charger issue been sorted yet does anyone know? As a newcomer to EV who has only charged with a granny charger and once on an Instavolt charger I have been put off going on long trips in the car. The first Instavolt charger I tried did not work but fortunately the second one just next to it did. I understand these are the most reliable chargers that take credit cards for payment.

Has the prefacelift MG5 and Gridserve charger issue been sorted yet does anyone know? As a newcomer to EV who has only charged with a granny charger and once on an Instavolt charger I have been put off going on long trips in the car. The first Instavolt charger I tried did not work but fortunately the second one just next to it did. I understand these are the most reliable chargers that take credit cards for payment.
I charged at Moto Wetherby services on the 350kW chargers a few weeks ago in my pre-facelift with no problem, other than finding the tiny red stop button in the bottom right corner of the screen :)Also look out for Osprey - really good chargers as well, Ionity, expensive but good and of course the Instavolts. You will always get the odd one out of service, you were just unlucky it was your first.
Don't be put off, just do it and you will never stop after that.
I actively really look forward to long trips as the car is such a pleasure to drive, and am heading off to Suffolk shortly for a few days.

Thank you for the suggestion about looking out for Ionity and Osprey chargers. This might be useful on a possible EV trip to Frinton.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom