Had the under bonnet cover off today surprised by what I saw

sido

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
This morning I decided tie a link to the emergency plug release, I saw it on another thread. I was surprised to see a lot of water on the flat steel sections inside each wing. There was a fair amount of debris as well, leaves mainly. The area was painted but it certainly didn’t look like underseal. I know nothing about rust except what it looks like, is there anybody on the forum who does and if so do you think this standing water needs attention either with extra drainage or perhaps thicker treatment coating?

Hi, Interesting sido, can I ask a couple of questions you say you took the motor cover off this morning,
1 so had the car been standing all night and if so had it been raining during the night.?
What I’m thinking is when the car moves surely the water should run out of any holes etc not sure
2 Why do you need a link to the plug release
I do share your concerns about this but I have never touch anything under the bonnet apart from the screen wash a few times but I do keep my type 2 cable under there some times when I’m fully loaded
Les.

I saw the thread too about a release string, just easier than removing the cover if you do need to get to the release lever. It's on my list to do.

Hi, Interesting sido, can I ask a couple of questions you say you took the motor cover off this morning,
1 so had the car been standing all night and if so had it been raining during the night.?
What I’m thinking is when the car moves surely the water should run out of any holes etc not sure
2 Why do you need a link to the plug release
I do share your concerns about this but I have never touch anything under the bonnet apart from the screen wash a few times but I do keep my type 2 cable under there some times when I’m fully loaded
Les.
Hi Les, thanks for your reply,
Yes car had been standing overnight we did have rain and it was on level driveway so you might be right about it running out of drainage holes when moving. I am still a bit concerned that it might sit there for 12 hours or so and the amount of debris in there which could easily block drainage holes.
I decided to link the plug release so I didn’t have to take the cover off if ever I needed to use it, never have so far but it just seemed a good idea.
I also keep my charging cable on top of the cover now, just seems like it was made for it.
sido

Hi sido and Jomarkh, well could this be another silly design item to feed back to MG, surely you should be able to get at the release puller without have to take the whole cover off maybe a smaller cover bit like the 12volt battery cover is what’s needed in that area, then again why is the cover there in the first place the ZS is not covered as far as I know and if it wasn’t covered in then you could clean the debris out easier then once in a while as well.
just a thinking out loud.
Les
Could one of you post a link to this video you write about I for one haven’t seen it I don’t think thanks

This morning I decided tie a link to the emergency plug release, I saw it on another thread. I was surprised to see a lot of water on the flat steel sections inside each wing. There was a fair amount of debris as well, leaves mainly. The area was painted but it certainly didn’t look like underseal. I know nothing about rust except what it looks like, is there anybody on the forum who does and if so do you think this standing water needs attention either with extra drainage or perhaps thicker treatment coating?
Did you take a picture?

When I was looking under the bonnet particularly at where water and debris might be coming in, at the top of the nearside front wheel arch is what I imagine to be a drainage gap for the upper part of the wing. two quite large holes open to the top of the wheel which would be capable of allowing water and debris to come into that area and drain/ fall down onto the flat steel section in certain circumstances. When I take the cover off again I will have a closer at that as well.
Having put everything back yesterday i had a very close look at the way the headlights are fixed and they seem to have two bolts at the top through a plastic casing. I imagine that casing is designed to absorb light load but to break under more intense pressure. In an accident with a pedestrian, cyclist, motor cyclist or an animal, if the headlight breaks or moves it could easily leave the very sharp pointed top section of the wing exposed, almost like the blade of a spear. It is an unusual design the like of which I haven’t seen before. Perhaps the metal on our cars is so thin it wont be a issue.

Interesting that the cable can be stored under the bonnet! Is it safe and practicle?
I can see how it is easier for charging rather than going to the back of the car each time.
This may sound lazy but makes a difference when in a wheelchair.
Steve

Interesting that the cable can be stored under the bonnet! Is it safe and practicle?
I can see how it is easier for charging rather than going to the back of the car each time.
Steve
It's discussed in this thread - Specifically post 58, which has a photo too.

Sido: "I have been watching this thread and thought I would try my type 2 cable in its bag in the formed area in the middle of the cover, it fits perfectly, bonnet closes and no sign of indentation to underside insulation on the bonnet. I find it easier to access especially as charge point at the front. Lack of hydraulics make the bonnet quite heavy to open but overall I am converted from a doubter to a user. I had also though it might be damp but beading water seems to stay on the underside of the bonnet, well in front of the indentation"

Last edited:
Steve
Mine is like this and needs no tethers

Attachments

• 9ABDBE79-6F69-4C68-B986-AEA3A9B5DB99.jpeg
    9ABDBE79-6F69-4C68-B986-AEA3A9B5DB99.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 184
An update on the water and debris i mentioned at the start of the thread.
here in Somerset quite a few roads are used by farm vehicles and get quite muddy during wet spells of weather.
I use my Karcher to remove most of this from around the wheel arches.
The holes I mentioned in the upper part of the wheel arch are at an angle whereby when my karcher is clearing mud it can also force dirty water and debrIs through those holes onto the flat steel inside the bonnet. Not sure if that’s a design fault or my fault!

I live in farming country too but tend to just use a hose pipe in the wheel arches so perhaps that's not quite so bad. I must take the cover off and have a look at my own car as I haven't been under it since last summer.

Brilliant idea!!
I'll try it out when I collect my car at the end of this month.
Steve
hi Steve
Not sure which model you are getting I have 2021 mg5 EV SR excite. I find lifting the bonnet is really heavy and you need to hold its weight quite high up whilst you remove the support stay from its housing and fix in position. You need to reverse the process to close. For one charge you to do this twice. A couple of practise runs might be advisable before your first need to charge.
Sido

Like many, I have thought the area in the front to be useful storage as well, however having to undo a dozen little plastic screws to access it seems a bit harsh, so I just placed the cover in place, with no screws holding, making it far easier to lift off should it be necessary. So far it seems to work and stays in place well in general use.. The next job will be to find a suitable box to fit in under the plastic brace and on top of the motor to maximise storage for cables, tools hi viz etc.

Is there any heat or need for cooling here?

Like many, I have thought the area in the front to be useful storage as well, however having to undo a dozen little plastic screws to access it seems a bit harsh, so I just placed the cover in place, with no screws holding, making it far easier to lift off should it be necessary. So far it seems to work and stays in place well in general use.. The next job will be to find a suitable box to fit in under the plastic brace and on top of the motor to maximise storage for cables, tools hi viz etc.

I assume you have headlight fixings in and with the Velcro pads either side I would have thought that would be fine.

I can't imagine underbonnet temperature would be an issue in the UK. Might be a different situation in India or Australia though.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom