Halogen bulbs to be banned in UK from September

Richie

Established Member
Reaction score
In the news: Halogen bulbs to be banned in UK from September

Google the headline to any article on the above title.
Considering the number of threads on here regarding upgrading to LED's this ban may well put the issue to rest.
I can not see anything so far on the internet referring to vehicles Halogen bulbs. Asked at my local Kwikfit and Halford today but they "no nothing".
If vehicle halogens are no longer sold, I guess the recent MOT regs re: lamp assemblies will also need to change.

Any thoughts of information?

Nothing to worry about.
This won't affect cars any time soon although it does highlight the question of why LED isn't standard in 2021.

Nothing to worry about.
This won't affect cars any time soon although it does highlight the question of why LED isn't standard in 2021.
I guess your correct in what you say, but for sure it will happen at some point. The "green people" will find a reason.

The daft thing is that energy efficiency is critical on an EV so you'd have thought LED lighting as standard would be seen as a quick win.
I know that cost becomes an issue but I would for example forego something unimportant like electric seat adjustment in favour of LED lighting all round.

Very, and they only last a few months. Hateful little things.
A lot of electrical factors stopped stocking the lamps about 18 months ago.
I had six of these in the ceiling of my kitchen, that where powered by two 12volt step down transforms.
One for each line of three lamps in a row.
Then a few months ago, three of the lights would just spot working after being on for about five minutes.
This is when after checking the working lamps, I realised just how hot these units where getting when used for longer than about five minutes !.
I decided to change out the all of the fittings to the modern LED units.
Bit of a “Faff” to rewire because there was no access to the ceiling from the bedroom above.
It all had to be done via the holes in the ceiling, with another two access holes produced to help with the connection process.
I took nearly all day, but a job well done 👍.

Strictly speaking, if halogen bulbs used in ceilings, the lamp housings should have a air gap round them to stop any risk of combustion. This wasn't so in my bungalow, they were nestled in amongst the loft insulation but, as the loft was boarded out, it was easier to change the bulbs for LED's..

Strictly speaking, if halogen bulbs used in ceilings, the lamp housings should have a air gap round them to stop any risk of combustion. This wasn't so in my bungalow, they were nestled in amongst the loft insulation but, as the loft was boarded out, it was easier to change the bulbs for LED's..
Great shout !.
My loft installation has been also been cut short of where the electric shower cable has been clipped to the roof structure.
The installers said they where NOT allowed to come within six inches of either a shower cable or any spot lights with halogen lamps fitted.
Very wise move on the companies part I think.
Fire retardant hoods should have been fitted on them none fire rated spot lamps that where sold in the big DIY super stores.
LED’s are much more economical and safer in my opinion.
The light is very bright and white on the LED’s I used.
Maybe should have gone for a slightly cooler lamp in hind site ?.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom