Handle in roof above drivers door ?

Cafeg

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Hello,
Does everyone have a handle in the interior roof above the drivers door. There is one in the roof on the other 3 doors and a depression in the roof where it could be but no handle ? It can be used to help you get into the drivers seat.

I understand how it could help get into the driver's seat, but I don't think any/many cars have one on the driver's door. They are grab handles for passengers when you are cornering at break neck speeds!!!

I think the driver is expected to have both hands on the steering wheel. :)

Picture please?

Drivers side
1697617658538.jpeg

Passenger side:
1697618987188.jpeg

I understand how it could help get into the driver's seat, but I don't think any/many cars have one on the driver's door. They are grab handles for passengers when you are cornering at break neck speeds!!!

I think the driver is expected to have both hands on the steering wheel. :)
My prius has them on all 4 doors and a Mitsubushi new ute I had def had one as I used to use it to get in as it was high. They are to help you get in as well hanging on the corners :)

It's fairly common for cars not to have the handle above the driver's door but have them on the other three. Several of my past cars have been like this. The driver has the steering wheel to aid getting in and out if required. The recess is because they use the same roof lining for both LHD and RHD models.

It's fairly common for cars not to have the handle above the driver's door but have them on the other three. Several of my past cars have been like this. The driver has the steering wheel to aid getting in and out if required. The recess is because they use the same roof lining for both LHD and RHD models.
Interesting.. ah ye s that would make sense the roof lining is for both LHD and RHD models. I must admit I havent taken notice of the handles before on other cars, I went to reach for it this afternoon and found nothing :) Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
Interesting.. ah ye s that would make sense the roof lining is for both LHD and RHD models. I must admit I havent taken notice of the handles before on other cars, I went to reach for it this afternoon and found nothing :) Thanks for the reply.
Is anyone brave enough to look under the roof lining? There doesen't appear to be a different lining for LHD or RHD cars. I doubt there are different roofs either so I would have thought that the grab handle mounting points are probably present anyway. It could just be a case of buying a handle and bolts and fitting them. Perhaps a trip to the dealers parts department and a look at the exploded views and part numbers might solve the problem.

Is anyone brave enough to look under the roof lining? There doesen't appear to be a different lining for LHD or RHD cars. I doubt there are different roofs either so I would have thought that the grab handle mounting points are probably present anyway. It could just be a case of buying a handle and bolts and fitting them. Perhaps a trip to the dealers parts department and a look at the exploded views and part numbers might solve the problem.
I have to go and see the panelbeater that replaced my broken sharks tooth next week. They had the interior lining down to do it. I'll ask them if there were any roof mounts on the drivers side. Its not really needed with the steering wheel to hang onto but it would come in handy to lift yourself into the seat.

I'd be interested to know how you get on Cafeg. On my last two cars (Volvo V40 and Qashqai) both had drivers door grab handles which I replaced with a sun glasses holder and would like to do the same with the MG.

I'd be interested to know how you get on Cafeg. On my last two cars (Volvo V40 and Qashqai) both had drivers door grab handles which I replaced with a sun glasses holder and would like to do the same with the MG.
Just asked the panelbeater, he said he didnt see any mounts on the drivers side for a handle underneath the lining. He also said the recess was there so they could use the same roof lining on both cars. They see a lot now that have no roof handle on the drivers side he said.

Just asked the panelbeater, he said he didnt see any mounts on the drivers side for a handle underneath the lining. He also said the recess was there so they could use the same roof lining on both cars. They see a lot now that have no roof handle on the drivers side he said.
That's a shame. When you're talking in large volumes I suppose the extra cost of an unused bracket is more than the additional cost of making and stocking a LHD or RHD version of the roof.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom