Handsfree usage

Sharon

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have just taken delivery of my car. I have connected the phone with Bluetooth but I can't work out how to use the handsfree. Can anyone help please?

What type of phone are you using and are you planning on using Android Auto/Apple Car Play?

You need to plug into the usb to use the voice or wheel controls to call out .the wheel button can be used to answer also texting is available with suitable phone

My Android Auto never takes calls through the car system, automatically routes to my phone. If I click the option to send to Bluetooth it comes through my smart watch, and it's bastard INFURIATING! I had a Citroen C1 courtesy car today whilst my MG received the new BMS software, the Android Auto on that also didn't route calls through the car system.

I like to bluetooth music from my mobile but i find if i use android auto it doesn't let me do that .i use a bluetooth earpeace if i need hands free i prefer this, and the people stood at the kerbside can't hear my personal conversations

My Android Auto never takes calls through the car system, automatically routes to my phone. If I click the option to send to Bluetooth it comes through my smart watch, and it's bastard INFURIATING! I had a Citroen C1 courtesy car today whilst my MG received the new BMS software, the Android Auto on that also didn't route calls through the car system.
Sounds like your watch takes priority.
In the Bluetooth settings you can set devices to use for media / calls.

In the android auto settings there are several Bluetooth settings as well. (Like unlock phone).

Sounds like your watch takes priority.
In the Bluetooth settings you can set devices to use for media / calls.

In the android auto settings there are several Bluetooth settings as well. (Like unlock phone).
I don't particularly want to disable calls to my watch as it's really handy when you're not in the car.
My other cars haven't had this issue so I'm guessing it's either Android Auto or my phone (Google's own Pixel 4XL)

A lot of devices are like that. My daughter complains that she can't stream her spotify to the car speakers when I'm in the car because my phone seems to be the preferred device. I would have to switch off the bluetooth on my phone for her to get through.

A lot of devices are like that. My daughter complains that she can't stream her spotify to the car speakers when I'm in the car because my phone seems to be the preferred device. I would have to switch off the bluetooth on my phone for her to get through.
You should be able to change which phone is used for media streaming from the Bluetooth settings in the car's entertainment system.

I set it so my wife's phone streams audio when both phones are in the car.

You should be able to change which phone is used for media streaming from the Bluetooth settings in the car's entertainment system.

I set it so my wife's phone streams audio when both phones are in the car.
Either that or I can actually decide what music is playing while I'm in the car. ;)

You can stream music over Bluetooth. Once connected look at the radio list and you will see an option labelled Music (below DAB, FM, AM), this will start streams no music from your phone using the default music player (Spotify on my Android phone).

To do hands free voice commands in UK/Europe you need to connect via Android Auto or Apple Carplay which requires you to use a USB cable plugged into the USB port closest to the driver. Androids d Auto can be a bit flakey and requires you to have someone settings active on the phone (ie developer mode and USB debug)

Connecting to Bluetooth was straightforward for me. The car now automatically connects with the phone and syncs the phonebook and call history, so I can start making calls within a minute, just by pressing the call button on the steering. It also plays music from my phone (I use Youtube Music) without any hassle. I wish it also had wireless Android Auto, connecting the cable and keeping the phone in the slot is a little tricky even with an L shaped USB-C cable. I use that (Android Auto) only when I am taking less known routes.

Connecting to Bluetooth was straightforward for me. The car now automatically connects with the phone and syncs the phonebook and call history, so I can start making calls within a minute, just by pressing the call button on the steering. It also plays music from my phone (I use Youtube Music) without any hassle. I wish it also had wireless Android Auto, connecting the cable and keeping the phone in the slot is a little tricky even with an L shaped USB-C cable. I use that (Android Auto) only when I am taking less known routes.
Following a suggestion from on this forum I ordered a 90 degree magnetic connector.
(A set of 3, so the phone can be plugged in at home as well).

This works well - the cable is flexible and its much easier to connect or disconnect the phone.

I’ve found Apple carplay to be very cable-sensistive. I tried the mag-ended ones and they were great for easy connecting but kept dropping out. My car only works well with genuine Apple or Anker leads - yours may be different. 🙂

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom