Hardwired granny charger

I was always under the impression that 'hard wired' was just that......the fact that it is powered through/via a 13 amp plug in a socket means it's 'plugged in' and not hard wired. It looks a nice set-up, I'm not criticising that for a minute.
Personally, I have a weather proof out-side socket and have often used it when it is raining, with no issues.
But of course you couldn't then plug in the plug in the TP-Link...outside in the weather...unless you used a weather proof housing.

Last edited:
Ref Notdodgy: Did you check the current with the charger unplugged from the car? I would be interested to know what it is as I leave mine switched on sometimes.
It's a while since I looked but I recall it was only 2-3 watts. (Enough to light an led).
Not worth worrying about.

Thanks Notdodgy. That's rather what I'd expect with a switch-mode PSU. I don't think I will bother with a 7Kw installation - as I usually only do say 50 miles in a day it's not an issue. Helps being retired I guess!

Morning all, I decided to hardwire in my granny charger due to my house being electrically looped with next door and the cable going under our garages so couldn't be done, I am happy using the granny as I only do around 30 miles each day so happy to charge every few days.
What do you think ?

View attachment 1139

View attachment 1140

I have connected using a TP link that way I can turn the charger on and off by my phone 📱🙃
Looks good as long as the TP can take the current ok. What do you do if you go somewhere and they don't have any charger that you can use? I keep the granny charger in the car just in case I go anywhere and need to use it.

Looks good as long as the TP can take the current ok. What do you do if you go somewhere and they don't have any charger that you can use? I keep the granny charger in the car just in case I go anywhere and need to use it.
I don't go that far in the car mainly commute to work, I have a bigger diesel car for long family days out.
I have a type 2 cable in the car for charging elsewhere.

I was always under the impression that 'hard wired' was just that......the fact that it is powered through/via a 13 amp plug in a socket means it's 'plugged in' and not hard wired. It looks a nice set-up, I'm not criticising that for a minute.
Personally, I have a weather proof out-side socket and have often used it when it is raining, with no issues.
But of course you couldn't then plug in the plug in the TP-Link...outside in the weather...unless you used a weather proof housing.
Not really done it for the TP link, it was more about the granny not getting stolen and keeping the main unit waterproof.
Best of both worlds

Morning all, I decided to hardwire in my granny charger due to my house being electrically looped with next door and the cable going under our garages so couldn't be done, I am happy using the granny as I only do around 30 miles each day so happy to charge every few days.
What do you think ?

View attachment 1139

View attachment 1140

I have connected using a TP link that way I can turn the charger on and off by my phone 📱🙃
Hi. I've done the same thing with an ohme 3 pin charger. Can I ask where you got the charger holder/hook from? I've found some on Amazon/eBay but I like the look of your one. Thanks

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That's a nice neat setup. Can't see anything wrong with it at all.

I would do the same thing if I were not going to get and need a 7kW, it's a pain having to get the granny charger out/put it away every day as I can't leave it securely outside.

It sounds like the smart adapter you're using is up to the task, do have to be a bit careful with these things as they're not really intended to run at maximum rated current for long periods of time.

I know of several remote control sockets that have failed due to overheating and I conclude they are probably not capable of supplying (say) 13A on a continuous basis. Personally, I just leave my granny plugged in and turned on. As a switch mode power supply on no load it will use very little power at mains voltage, even less as there must be a switch on connection via the car socket.

Yeah that's another reason I went for the ohme 3 pin charger. It links in with octopus energy as well making it easier to save money.

You can also get it half price (for £200) if you buy it through octopus energy.

I think it looks pretty smart. In theory someone could steal it if they cut the power cable and ripped it off the wall but that's the same for all ev chargers

IMG_20210317_120618.jpg

I unscrewed the main box, inside there are 3 wires unscrewed those passed the wire through the wall then reconnected them.
Simples

My ohme charger was sealed and clipped together so I didn't want to risk breaking it apart. Instead I bought a surface mounted electric meter box and have used that to house the charger. It's a bit big but it does the job 👍View attachment 2358
I've been considering doing this too with my ohme.
My ideal solution though is an outside box that contains just the unit itself and the commando socket/plug, screwed closed so it's not too easy to get into. Then I'll loop the wire on the wall in a holster. It'd be nice if it had a clear window to see the ohme display too!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom