Has anyone had their MG ZS EV info screen go blank?

sideways

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, have any one had their info screen go blank? mine has done this a few times over the last couple of weeks!

I've seen comments on other forums that the infotainment screen occasionally reboots for no apparent reason - goes blank, then restarts, taking a minute or so. I think this has happened to me once - didn't take too much notice as I was driving at the time.

I've had it happen a few times now, seems to be when using Android Auto and the radio at the same time. I think it's a lack of processing power in the system and it just hangs, then reboots.

I use Apple car play regularly and have never had this problem...dont know if thats relevant or not.

Yes mine has done this quite a few rimes... Had to drive 33 miles without access to the satnav or radio. It’s actually happened about 4-5 times since January.

Had it happen once, then it simply restarted and since then no further problems. I will keep a check on this though..

Happened to me again today, whilst following sat nav which was concerning, but rebooted in time for me to take the right turn off; only just though!!

Hi, have any one had their info screen go blank? mine has done this a few times over the last couple of weeks!
Mine does it quite a lot only for 10 - 30 seconds or so. Sometimes screensaver type display appears along bottom 30mm of screen sometimes radio stops playing too sometimes not. Reported it to my Dealer who can't find any faults. Must just be a glitch in the software or memory. As long as it comes back on I can live with it.

Mine's never actually gone off after coming on, but once or twice has taken maybe one or two minutes to boot up initially.

Mine went off the other day. I think I confused it by pushing the buttons to scan the radio channels too quickly.

Mine has gone blank once in 2000 miles. My TVs, computer and phone sometimes lock up and need a reset.

The "Black Screen Of Death" is a common issue.
Some owners suffer from it more then others I have found.
I have seen it a number of times over the last 15 months of ownership.
There is no set pattern that triggers this type of behaviour either.
It can be fine for weeks on end, then completely out of the blue, then BANG it will do it !.
Sometimes the screen will turn black for a few seconds and then return back to normal, and you can still hear the music playing via the radio !.
On one occasion while using the Sat Nav after about an hour, the screen turned completely black and never returned for the rest of the trip.
Strangely we could still hear the directions being given through the speakers but no screen !.
Twice, it has completely fallen on it's arse and gone "Black Screen Of Death" - then totally rebooted the entire system back to the MG logo on the screen.
I believe, if the screen goes black and does not return, if you continue to hold down the centre silver button on the unit, it will totally reboot the system.
If all else fails, pull over to safe place at the side of the road and power down the car completely, wait a few mins and reboot up the car.
This hard reset will return the settings to the info unit.
I would say it appears to perform this strange behaviour less now, then it did when we first received the car.
The car received the "Comfort 2" update back in Oct 2021 - Then the 15th Jan 2021 BMS update almost on the same day it was released to the dealers.
My car was in for service on almost the same day it was released.
I think I have seen the "Black Screen Of Death" only once since that date.
It was very brief, then the colour home screen returned all by itself.
I posted this problem on the forum way back in early 2020 and other owners have seen the same issue happening.
Some more often than others, but I guess it depends how much you use the head unit in the car I guess ???.
You have to be quick sometimes to witness this strange behaviour.
If you are travelling at night, your eye will instantly be drawn to the lack of light being displayed from the screen of course.
But if the screen drops out on a nice sunny day, it may have returned back to normal even before you have noticed it has gone !.
Bug's in the system I have NO doubt at all.

Mine has gone blank a couple of times but strangely the audio directions continued for the rest of the journey!
I have witnessed this on one occasion only.
Bit of a pain when the coloured maps on the screen disappears!.
Pull over and power down the car and reboot to correct the problem was the order of the day.
Bit of pain if you travelling on a motorway of course !.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom