Has anyone yet managed to do a "Total closure" modification ?

Thebiglad

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi guys, what I mean - if everyone thought I'd gone barmy - is the facility whereby you press and hold the 'lock' button on the remote and all the windows simultaneously close. Equally for getting hot air out of the cabin on warm days, press and hold the 'unlock' button and all the windows and sunroof open simultaneously.

Anyone cracked that one ?

Cheers Dave

Very much doubt that can be done as a mod.

Hi there and thanks for your reply.

I'm working on the basis that the electric hatchback can be incorporated into a std. car; plus the vehicle already has electric windows and sunroof which almost certainly operate through a BCU (Body Control Unit). So combining that and the central locking function it feels as though it's not impossible ???

Cheers
Dave

Hi guys, what I mean - if everyone thought I'd gone barmy - is the facility whereby you press and hold the 'lock' button on the remote and all the windows simultaneously close. Equally for getting hot air out of the cabin on warm days, press and hold the 'unlock' button and all the windows and sunroof open simultaneously.

Anyone cracked that one ?

Cheers Dave
It is likely due to the fact that only the drivers window has one touch closure... likely due to the fact that the other windows don't have anti-pinch, something that is required for global closure iirc. May be able to be done in software, likely some hardware changes needed in the way of window motors though... It's a feature on the HS, maybe someone will try frankensteining the BCU from that into the ZS and seeing what happens

It is likely due to the fact that only the drivers window has one touch closure... likely due to the fact that the other windows don't have anti-pinch, something that is required for global closure iirc. May be able to be done in software, likely some hardware changes needed in the way of window motors though... It's a feature on the HS, maybe someone will try frankensteining the BCU from that into the ZS and seeing what happens
To be honest i think there will be something missing in the 3 other window lifter units.

They probably opted for this option, to save the 20p that sensor would cost per window

To be honest i think there will be something missing in the 3 other window lifter units.

They probably opted for this option, to save the 20p that sensor would cost per window
It will likely be missing the anti-pinch sensor, or at least a different motor without the ability to detect "pinch" Plus the window switches on the other three doors are only two stage down, not two stage up which is how the drivers window switch is.

It will likely be missing the anti-pinch sensor, or at least a different motor without the ability to detect "pinch" Plus the window switches on the other three doors are only two stage down, not two stage up which is how the drivers window switch is.
Yes i agree.

I wonder how few pounds it would have cost to add proper fully automatic closing windows.

If someone was particularily handy, he/she should be able to buy a window lifter for a LHD car and put it in a RHD car or the other way round to atleast have both front windows close fully without having to hold the UP button for the front passenger windows, whatever side it is, until the window is fully closed.

Yes i agree.

I wonder how few pounds it would have cost to add proper fully automatic closing windows.

If someone was particularily handy, he/she should be able to buy a window lifter for a LHD car and put it in a RHD car or the other way round to atleast have both front windows close fully without having to hold the UP button for the front passenger windows, whatever side it is, until the window is fully closed.
I would imagine that they are all the same motor mounts, so potentially could fit the drivers window motors and sensors in the other three windows... although I wouldn't like to know what the availability of parts would be for MGs at the moment :ROFLMAO: and even then you would need to have someone who could code the BCU to use the different motors/sensors and change how the switches behave... probably by using a "long press" style to fully close as they lack the two stage switch mechanism... Man this is actually pretty complicated...

I would imagine that they are all the same motor mounts, so potentially could fit the drivers window motors and sensors in the other three windows... although I wouldn't like to know what the availability of parts would be for MGs at the moment :ROFLMAO: and even then you would need to have someone who could code the BCU to use the different motors/sensors and change how the switches behave... probably by using a "long press" style to fully close as they lack the two stage switch mechanism... Man this is actually pretty complicated...
Yeah, it would be hard for me to even find 3 2022 ZS EV to rip the door off of, in all of the UK :)

Very interesting comments guys.

My two penneth is this :

The car can be locked and unlocked using the remote. That means the hardware is in place to communicate with functions on the cars' hardware such as door locks via the fob radio receiver and the BCU (body control unit)...

The drivers door window button has a dual function - std and single press. The single press function allows for a permanent live until the motor is stopped at both ends, exactly as all the other windows so I imagine the combination of the radio receiver and BCU need a bit of additional coding to action long fob presses on open and close fob buttons ???

Just another thought : many modern cars have lots of functionalities that are not all "turned on" for all markets; so this feature could already be in place, just waiting to be initiated via an engineering screen or an OBD device ?

Dave

Last edited:
Very interesting comments guys.

My two penneth is this :

The car can be locked and unlocked using the remote. That means the hardware is in place to communicate with functions on the cars' hardware such as door locks via the fob radio receiver and the BCU (body control unit)...

The drivers door window button has a dual function - std and single press. The single press function allows for a permanent live until the motor is stopped at both ends, exactly as all the other windows so I imagine the combination of the radio receiver and BCU need a bit of additional coding to action long fob presses on open and close fob buttons ???

Just another thought : many modern cars have lots of functionalities that are not all "turned on" for all markets; so this feature could already be in place, just waiting to be initiated via an engineering screen or an OBD device ?

Dave
As far as any of us know the facelift ZS EV lacks anti pinch sensors on the other three windows which is why they don't have "one touch" operation for closing them, which is a requirement for global closure.

As far as any of us know the facelift ZS EV lacks anti pinch sensors on the other three windows which is why they don't have "one touch" operation for closing them, which is a requirement for global closure.
Who says ?

All I can say is that yesterday I tried a little experiment to see what happens:

Turned on the car, waited 'til it went through it's processes, then pressed all open window switches simultaneously. As you might expect all windows opened fully. Did the same to shut them, and they just shut. So there is sufficient hardware there to do the job.

Now bearing in mind that on most modern cars most car body features (central locking, electric windows, sunroof, alarms etc) are controlled by the BCU, it doesn't seem a great stretch to that some clever bod on here or elsewhere would have created a plug-in box or doo-hickey to effect global opening and shutting (global opening would be my priority to let out the heat we get here during summer.)

After all, someone created a method for electric opening of the hatchback, which wasn't standard ...

Last edited:
Who says ?

All I can say is that yesterday I tried a little experiment to see what happens:

Turned on the car, waited 'til it went through it's processes, then pressed all open window switches simultaneously. As you might expect all windows opened fully. Did the same to shut them, and they just shut. So there is sufficient hardware there to do the job.

Now bearing in mind that on most modern cars most car body features (central locking, electric windows, sunroof, alarms etc) are controlled by the BCU, it doesn't seem a great stretch to that some clever bod on here or elsewhere would have created a plug-in box or doo-hickey to effect global opening and shutting (global opening would be my priority to let out the heat we get here during summer.)

After all, someone created a method for electric opening of the hatchback, which wasn't standard ...
You must have a unicorn of a car then because only the drivers window has one touch up and down... you have to hold the switches for the rest of the windows to make them close.

You must have a unicorn of a car then because only the drivers window has one touch up and down... you have to hold the switches for the rest of the windows to make them close.
You're right, when speaking about closing, only the drivers window has a 1 touch closing function; but all windows have 1 touch opening as does the sunroof.

BTW, not a unicorn car, just a great car.

You're right, when speaking about closing, only the drivers window has a 1 touch closing function; but all windows have 1 touch opening as does the sunroof.

This would also further suggest that there is something missing to be able to do one touch closure.

I actually tested it and if i hold the "UP" button on one of the rear windows, and put my arm in there, the window will just go into my arm and try to continue.

On one touch up, windows, when it meets any kind of resistance, it will stop and roll down an inch.

Rolling down can be done as one touch, as no one is in danger of getting their arm, head or whatnot in a pinch.

yeah I thought you said that your windows had one touch up as well.. The sunroof has one touch open and close, so I would have at least thought that you could close that via the app :( but no, it just very unhelpfully tells you that it is wide open when I am over a mile away from the car lol

There seems to be a bit of a fixation with this anti-pinch feature on the windows and to be honest I just don't understand why.

I've had this "Remote Global Window Operation" feature with a number of previous cars and for me the prime benefit is the remote opening of all windows and roof, to let hot air escape from the cabin BEFORE getting into the car. I don't feel the same need for total closure but I suspect it would come 'with the package'.

If you think about it, the anti-pinch feature wasn't felt to be important enough for the manufacturer to supply it all round as std. And bearing in mind that I would be opening and closing an empty car, there is no-one at risk, unless I stick my arm through the window opening, just for fun. :D:love:(y)

Dave

Just found this on the secret menu, seems to give selectable options on the anti-pinch function :

Driver only; all 4 doors and something else I've forgotten.

-

starting at 3:11 look for page 5.

I have seen a device to allow remote control of all windows and sunroof via the remote key. It also closes all windows and sunroof when the car is locked. It requires installing a module within the drivers side door card. They made it plug and play so it's reversible, I'm planning on getting one so can update then.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom