Have you used the App to control when you charge the EV?

Ozpete5000

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Purchased my MG ZS EV here just over a week ago. A very good sales experience overall. Really enjoying the vehicle so far - have also just installed an EVSE home charger (the EO Mini Pro) because it was solar compatible - so did not go with the one recommended by the dealer (www.jetcharge.com.au). Everything humming so far ...

Hi Wayne, have you used the App to control when you charge the EV? The app used for this Charger had a lot of problems and disgruntled users when I looked at the review. I think I will stick with the Jetcharge Delta Mini pro Charger when I get my EV and 7kw home charger. As far as I know, the Delta mini pro charger is/has a solar compatible unit, but I rather earn the extra cash from supplying power back to the grid at 52 cents per kWh and charge my EV at night time at 38 cents per kWh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Pete (guess😉)
Thanks for the feedback - I haven't seen the disgruntlings so will have a look!
The before and after sales service I have received from EVSE in Sydney has been outstanding so far so hopefully I will be ok.
I am in the process of installing solar panels at the moment so no (solar comms) link yet with EO Mini - but I did run the comms cable through the conduit from meter box to the charger in preparation.
At the moment I am using the App just a little - I manually enter the starting charge (no auto read facility) and then just monitor charging progress. To date I have really only charged from about 75% to full and then left connected for equalisation.
So, I have yet to try the "Charging Options" in the EO Smart Home App which are Off-Peak/Solar/Scheduled. But I will see how they go when I do.
In terms of costs my daily tariff is 29c per kWh which is pretty cheap. The back to grid rate by comparison though (for when I'm all solared up) is a paltry 13c-15c I believe. Gone it would appear are the heady days in Sydney when you could make a living by simply sitting and looking at your panels!😂

Did you get any discount off your MG EV Wayne?. I was going to use a car broker but unfortunately they dont deal with any Chinese brand of vehicle and they told me the dealer margins are very tight on the MG ZS EV. As we head towards April 2021 I cannot justify pay full price for a vehicle manufactured in 2020, so unless they offer a sharp price for a 2020 produced vehicle I might wait until the end of June for our end of financial year to see if I can get a 2021 produced vehicle. Good to see you thought ahead about getting the solar charge option installed for your EV so you have recharging choices when you get your solar panels.

I believe (through hearsay) that the margins are tight. I always only work on changeover price these days - obviously one that I'm prepared to accept. That way I am never stressed about whether the money comes off the new car or gets added to the trade-in. I made the assumption that the price point was so competitive based on their market segmentation strategy that they were not going to knock much off the advertised price anyway. I got tinting, front sensors and "MG EV" 🎉 mats included as well. Different story maybe if you are just buying the car for cash. I also used to get exercised by the build year of a car only to not reap much identifiable reward some years down the track - and if there are no significant upgrades to say a June 2021 build vs a November 2020 build you may only experience a price increase!

Thanks Wayne I looked on Redbook to see the value of my trade in so it will all depend on the deal at the end of the this month that can be done. If I'm not happy with the deal, I might leave it until the end of the financial year and appraise my situation then.

And be aware that Redbook prices are generally on the low side for now as there has been something of a boom in second hand car prices due to, apparently, Covid and the number of expats returning to the country - as has been the case in real estate as well. So don't necessarily accept the indicated price without a little extra due diligence😉

I believe (through hearsay) that the margins are tight. I always only work on changeover price these days - obviously one that I'm prepared to accept. That way I am never stressed about whether the money comes off the new car or gets added to the trade-in. I made the assumption that the price point was so competitive based on their market segmentation strategy that they were not going to knock much off the advertised price anyway. I got tinting, front sensors and "MG EV" 🎉 mats included as well. Different story maybe if you are just buying the car for cash. I also used to get exercised by the build year of a car only to not reap much identifiable reward some years down the track - and if there are no significant upgrades to say a June 2021 build vs a November 2020 build you may only experience a price increase!
front sensors
Hi @Wayne H ,

Was interested in your experience and you mentioned obtaining front sensors. We noted the lack of these on our recent test drive, so was wondering how you were able to get these and how much these were?

I tried to look at MG website for full accessories list but you have to request, they don't supply on website sadly. The list the dealer had doesn't show front sensors.

Hope the car is going well for you.

Cheers,
PM.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom