Having some major issues with my mg5

Jones886

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hoping you guys can help I'm having a fair bit of trouble lately with my mg5 going to the dealer tomorrow.

1st issue is I have found a oil substance in the bottom of my boot ( have checked the tyre sludge bottle and it's completely clean.

2nd issue I was travelling up to Stafford tonight and when your at 50mph and put your foot down to go up to 60 the whole of the car is shaking, no shaking threw the steering what so ever so definitely not the wheel balancing. Feels slightly more serious than that.

Attachments

• IMG_20240424_182754.jpg
    IMG_20240424_182754.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20240424_182734.jpg
    IMG_20240424_182734.jpg
    492.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20240424_182738.jpg
    IMG_20240424_182738.jpg
    403.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20240424_182727.jpg
    IMG_20240424_182727.jpg
    452.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20240424_182724.jpg
    IMG_20240424_182724.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 40
Could it be some type of wax / oil cavity treatment ?.
Does is feel a bit sticky, when you squeeze it between your finger and thumb ?.
Lubrication oil on the other hand, tends to feel very thin and extremely viscous.
The smell of cavity wax / oil is different from lubrication oil, hard to describe really.
In the similar way as brake fluid, you just know it by its touch and odour.
I can’t think of any other reason why there should be any traces of what could be oil lubricant, found under the spare in that wheel well TBH ?.
There is nothing back there that necessitates any type of wet lubrication being used really 🤔.
Oh …… I think the tail gate struts will be gas filled and the location of the oil is in the centre of the boot, under the spare wheel.
Did it get there when the car was built at the factory ????.

Re the shaking, check your wheel nuts just in case and balancing of the rear tyres as I don't think that would travel through the steering wheel.

Hi all

Thanks for the response in terms of the boot the mg dealer do think it is some sort of wax oil.

Been told to wipe it all clean and if it returns they will go from there they did say it's a first and there one on the forecourt didn't have it so they are scratching there head a bit but have asked mg for advice.

In regards to the shaking typically didn't do it on road test with them and stated they couldn't fault It and been truful I was in the car also so was scratching my head again as what I felt a few days ago didn't materialise on the day but then driving tonight I felt it again only once so thankyou for the advice I'm going to monitor it and check the nuts as per the user has mentioned.

Feel a bit deflated currently as I've also had to put a claim in for the wheels as they are corroding. Car has been brilliant for the last year and now I seem to be getting a few niggles but I suppose there not major just rather annoying more than anything

I would check rear shocks. Could be the source of the shaking and the oily substance.

The rear shocks are external mounted in the wheel arch, only the top mount fixing will be in the boot space and are likely to be gas filled ?.
The oil / wall traces were found under the spare wheel, in the wheel well area.

Could it be some type of wax / oil cavity treatment ?.
I think @Lovemyev's first line indicates the likely culprit. A short time after I took delivery of my FL MG5 – during the initial 'get to know your new car phase', when you look into every nook and cranny – I noticed I had something very similar in the boot (though nowhere near as much as in the OP's photos). I cleaned up what there was with a couple of paper receipts that were lying around in the boot (tells you how much I had). I just rechecked and 4 months later it's as clean as a whistle.

My 22 plate MG5 has a wet sticky substance in the wheel well. I got a steam cleaner and some rags and cleaned it all up, and it's stayed clean and dry. When the warmer weather comes I will paint some Raptor truck bed resin into the same area to ensure it stays dry, and waxoyl the underside of the back of the car if necessary.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom