Headlamps have moisture absorbing bags within them...

I've changed bulbs back to originals and I still have a big dark patch on the road in front of the driver's side. Something definitely not right. I must have a look further into the headlight unit to see if there is something else interfering with the light distribution. As it stands, is awful.

When I changed my bulbs they were in mine too
Matt, is the distribution of light from your headlights evenly spread with no dark patches? Thanks.

Matt, is the distribution of light from your headlights evenly spread with no dark patches? Thanks.
Mine were too low in general. The led units twist in the holder, alignment may be your issue also. I Altered the low beam upwards using my garage door and it seemed to bring down the high beam from the trees. Hope that helps

This is a general question. I have recently replaced my halogens with LEDs. Nice white light without being over the top. Certainly can see the road clearer at night. Originals are quite pathetic really.
I noticed when changing the lights that the lamp head units contain bags of what I presume is silica gel for moisture absorption.
I think these bags might be contributing to dark shadows immediately in front of the car (well 3 to 5 metres ahead).
Is this normal for a 2021 first series ZS EV.
Thanks to anyone that can shed some light on the subject.
Yes, bags are part of production/ shipping to Customers and I'm told by MG stay in headlamps for life of car. I'm happily leaving mine in. 👍🔋☀️

Yes, bags are part of production/ shipping to Customers and I'm told by MG stay in headlamps for life of car. I'm happily leaving mine in. 👍🔋☀️
My God... Can't understand the logic. If the bags become saturated they're useless. Not that I'm an expert in headlamps but I've never heard of this outstanding inventiveness used in a headlamp unit. Binoculars, telescopes, cameras and all things optical where low amounts of humidity might be encountered but headlamps? Well I never. I'm now eating my words and wondering what the next piece of low tech will be found in modern technology. Maybe we'll find a hamster running like the clappers being fed crack cocaine while turning a dynamo to recharge our batteries.

My God... Can't understand the logic. If the bags become saturated they're useless. Not that I'm an expert in headlamps but I've never heard of this outstanding inventiveness used in a headlamp unit. Binoculars, telescopes, cameras and all things optical where low amounts of humidity might be encountered but headlamps? Well I never. I'm now eating my words and wondering what the next piece of low tech will be found in modern technology. Maybe we'll find a hamster running like the clappers being fed crack cocaine while turning a dynamo to recharge our batteries.
But do they stay saturated surely when the lights are on the warmth from the lights dry out the silica so there ready to work again when needed?

Reactivating Silica Gel probably requires more heat than the lamps will provide.

If you don't have a frying pan I suppose it's the next best alternative ;)

But do they stay saturated surely when the lights are on the warmth from the lights dry out the silica so there ready to work again when needed?
It's a vicious circle. Condense, heat, evaporate, repeat. There's nowhere for the moisture to go if the units are sealed against water ingress.

It's a vicious circle. Condense, heat, evaporate, repeat. There's nowhere for the moisture to go if the units are sealed against water ingress.
Modern headlights are not completely sealed there is normal some sort of breather hole

If that's the case condensate shouldn't form and no need for bags but...
The bags are there for when the headlights are not getting used to stop unsightly condensation when the lights are in use the heat dries out moisture and the vapour escapes through vent holes
Screenshot_20230307-093535.png

So other manufacturers are doing the same thing with silica
Screenshot_20230307-102403.png

I've included a PDF attachment that's says 5year replacement Kia Hyundai owners seem to think 3 years before the bags get hard

Attachments

• DesiKhan-HM_Introduction(20.06.17)_ (1).pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 73
So other manufacturers are doing the same thing with silica View attachment 15703
I've included a PDF attachment that's says 5year replacement Kia Hyundai owners seem to think 3 years before the bags get hard
This is the first answer I've heard that makes sense. I presumed that all headlight units were completely sealed for when engine cleaning took place and there was the possibility of water ingress. I now have to retract everything I've said and become humble again instead of pig-headed. My apologies to MG and all who adore their vehicles. I'll now have to return my little bags to their proper place in life and trust that they will do their job efficiently and wonder why the dealers service centre made no comment when I asked about them other than to agree is was a mistake in production that they had not been removed. Thanks to N2STY for a final relevent explanation. I can now close this thread...

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom