Heater Problem

Frank

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am having a problem with my heater which is quite strange as it works on the maximum setting but NOT on any other of the settings. It does not also matter from which direction I set the heat to come from so it is NOT anything to do with the heater flaps, same problem, no matter what the flap settings are. Only mentioned this because this is one of the things MG thought might be the problem.

I took the car to the MG dealer at Falkirk and after a software update they stated the heater was working on all settings. After about 5 mins away from the garage it became obvious it was still not fixed and had EXCACTLY the same problem. In the HVAC settings as you know, there is 7 red bars, with obviously all bars showing you are at the maximum heat output.

Prior to the fault a comfortable amount of heat came out when 2/3 bars were showing, now you only have heat if all bars are showing. Please note there is NO heat at all (not even a smidgeon) until you have ALL the bars showing.

Anyway as you probably know the energy to power the resistive heater comes from the main battery pack (hence why your range can be affected by using the heater) so I thought I would try a little experiment. With the car in ready mode but parked, I put the centre display to show the electrical systems (can't remember exactly what the display is called but the important bit is that it shows the current consumption). I then put the heater on one bar at a time and blower on 3 bars (constant on 3 throughout the test) and monitored the current movement. Now I should stress this, AC not on, and parked in ready mode with no heater red bar showing there is no movement on the current consumption, that I noticed.

One bar showing, still no current consumption, and this continued right up to the 6th bar, still cold air coming out and no current consumption. As soon (and I mean instantly) as the 7th bar is showing the current consumption go's crazy and fluctuates between 0 and about 25 amps. It is difficult to read as it never stays still which seems strange as when you put anything on maximum I would expect it to draw x current and hover around whatever the maximum current would be, but my readings are erratic. The way it is reading the current on maximum in itself shows a problem, I think.

I tried the same test using the AC and that went up to a reading (only done it for a short while, just to prove a point in my head) to about 8 amps maximum and hovered between 7 and 8 proving what I thought, important thing to note no erratic readings.

Just so you know, on returning to the garage on the days they said they fixed it the service guy (don't know how high up he was in the service chain) tried to tell me there was not a fault and he started applying ICE heater logic to the problem which is nonsense. I stopped him in his tracks and asked him quite bluntly "do you know how this heater system worked", NO was the answer. So you see what I am dealing with.

Still waiting to take is back (Falkirk is 79 miles from me) but I am reluctant to take it back until they have some idea what the problem is. They refuse to acknowledge there is a problem and insist it needs "further investigation" by a trained MG technician to state their is indeed a fault. So I asked him to carry out the heater test on one of their EVs and let me know the outcome. Their reply was their results were different to mine but did NOT tell me what they were and I am waiting until the Chronovirus thingy has abated a bit before I take it in again.

I was hoping some of you guys would be kind enough to do this test on your cars and let me know what current consumption reading you got (average reading) on each of the bars. Thanks and I will use this information to help me solve my problem with my reluctant MG Dealer.

Regards

Frank

Sorry haven’t read all of your email, but you are aware that the heat output is effected by the driving mode, ie in Eco you will not get the same level of heat as normal or indeed sport to save on power..

I’ll try tomorrow to get some results. Assuming I can find the display screen that you mentioned.
I think I saw in the manual there is a drawing showing where the heater unit is under the bonnet, it’s against the bulkhead on the passenger side if I remember correctly. Could be worth looking for anything obvious like a loose plug or connection.

Guys,

Thanks for your replies. As far as the eco mode goes I am sure it ONLY affects the output (current consumption) of the AC, heating is not effected but I will check tomorrow. The Electrical Information (as it is called) can be found quite easily. Set the display to show the car details, the bit where you can access the digital speed, the picture of the wee car and the speed you are travelling at, then use the up and or down arrow keys on the steering wheel until you find the electrical information screen where you can monitor the current consumption. Test must be carried out when engine ready and parked. Set blower to 3 bars as this does not show any current consumption, set it above 3 bars and the consumption of the blower start registering which does not help when you are trying to get the current consumption of the heater only, then set to 1 red bar showing for heat and monitor the current consumption for a bit all the way through to 7 bars. Now, as I only done this test with the problem I do not know what readings for current consumption one would expect on settings 1/2/3/4/5 or 6, but my theory is that as the heater must receive a current to heat up then you would expect the readings to go up in line with the settings and if the resistive heater is not receiving any current then no heat!!!! My current readings on 7 bars is loopy which I do not think it is right and is probably a hint to what my problem is. When I get the readings from a known good heater then and only then will I be able to go back to my MG dealer and present the evidence!!!!

Thanks and I appreciate the help given. In fact I will now go and check the heater on the different modes to see it that does make a difference and get back to you. If it does I will eat humble pie and also tell the MG dealer they are knobs for not knowing this. Speak to you again in about 10 minutes time.

Regards

Frank

Guys,

Just back from the car and the tested on eco, normal and sport, all test results the same for the heater test. Page 164 of the manual under STARTING & DRIVING states "Note: Whilst Eco Mode is selected, the A/C will operate in a low energy consumption state to provide in increase in vehicle power."

I now think my A/C is not working, and to be quite honest I can't confirm if it ever did as I got the car in November and have never had the need to use it to cool the car down, I did have to use the heater however and it has always given out enough heat on 2-3 bars. The reason why I am saying this is because I just thought I would do the AC test again in all the modes due to the above from the manual and even when set at the coolest position no current consumption was shown until I set the blower above 3 and then the current consumption was from the blower and not the A/C (Hence why it is important NOT to go above 3 bars on the blower when conducting any of the tests, in fact on 3 blower bars it sometimes reads 1 amp momentarily). Would really appreciate it if anyone has got the time to try out the test(s), but please when doing the heater test start from bar 1 towards 7 checking heat output and current consumptions as you go up. I think the technician wacked it up to maximum first and thought the heater was working as the heat he was feeling on the lower settings was the residual heat from the hottest setting, I know because I done the test both ways 1-7 and 7-1 and thought going 7-1 that the heater was working but left it long enough for the residual heat to dissipate. If my MG dealer was closer and there was not this virus problem then he would be seeing me every day until it was fixed but as this is there first EV heater problem, I am not sure they know what to do, I think!!!

Regards

Frank
PS Forgot to look under the bonnet for any loose or dangling leads, will do this in daylight tomorrow.
PPS Ignore any consumption results I mentioned on my first A/C tests as thinking about it, I had the blower all the way up (not knowing at that time that the blower drew so much current when above 3 bars) making the test inconclusive for the current consumption of the A/C system.

Hi Frank, I carried out the tests as you described and found that the amperage flickered between 0 and 15 very quickly but did not vary as I increased the heater bars.
However, I seem to recall a YouTube video where it was shown that the heater is supplied via the 12 volt battery. I hope this helps, Kev.

Hi Mgkev,

Thanks for taking the time to do the tests. Mine showed 0/zilch on settings 1-6 so obviously the current is not getting to the heater for some reason (hence no heat). Presume you got heat from all settings and lastly can you please confirm on setting seven that is was shown a stable(ish) reading, thanks.

Regards

Frank
PS I will try and find the utube video you mention however I would find it unlikely that the power for the heater came from the 12v car battery as it would draw a lot of current, but mainly because they (and I mean everyone) rabbits on that using the heater reduces the range and therefore it leads one to believe it would draw its power from the battery pack and not the battery, but who knows, once again thanks for answering.

No, the fluctuations were the same on all settings. The YouTube guy is called Bjorn Nyland and he is a Thai living in both Norway and Thailand where he owns an MG EV and carries out all sorts of tests and challenges on his car. I recall him showing the battery voltage depleting to below 12Vs when sitting in the car with the heating on whilst charging.
Of cause if could be wrong and apologise if I’ve misled you in this.

I too have carried out the test and my readings on all settings were jumping around to quickly to really see the correct amps not sure mine went as high as 15 amps.

Guys, thanks, but just to clarify your test results, you did see current on settings 1bar to 6 bars (my tests were none until reaching 7 bars).
Once again thanks for your help. Kev, I will look at Bjorn's video.

Regards

Frank

Mark,

Thanks, I have passed the test results to my MG dealer and once the Coronavirus situation has stabilised I will take my car to the dealer. Thanks

Frank

Mark,

Thanks, I have passed the test results to my MG dealer and once the Coronavirus situation has stabilised I will take my car to the dealer. Thanks

Frank
Frank are you able to record a video of what's happening, post it to YouTube and share it here, please?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom