Heating capacity only seems to be 3kw

EVAndy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if people could post the voltage/amps at rest with heating turned off and then with heating on at max. I'm only getting 3kw and it really is struggling to get the cabin warm. I am wondering if I am missing a "bar" on the heater. I got the car in March but only had a few really cold days but really struggled to get it warm. Now I'm noticing the same problem and its only 7 degrees. I've read somewhere that it should be 5kw.

Hi, I was wondering if people could post the voltage/amps at rest with heating turned off and then with heating on at max. I'm only getting 3kw and it really is struggling to get the cabin warm. I am wondering if I am missing a "bar" on the heater. I got the car in March but only had a few really cold days but really struggled to get it warm. Now I'm noticing the same problem and its only 7 degrees. I've read somewhere that it should be 5kw.
What mode are you driving in? as eco limits the ac and heater
does the same in the ZS as well.

Mine flickers up to 10A when full on, at roughly 400V, I make that around 4kW max.

Thanks, I may have forgotten I was in Eco when I did the test. I have had closer to 5kw since. The weird thing is that I have not been in eco and really struggled to heat the cabin on occasion. Other times it is roasting. Driving in to work I have had to put the temp up to max to get any heat at all. I'll keep an eye on it and see if I get any more strange readings.

I've also noticed when the heater is set to max, it's not all that hot for a while. I assumed being an EV the heater would be 'instant'. However, after running for a few minutes, the cabin gets incredibly warm very quick - heating seems to ramp up after a while. Find myself turning it back down as its very warm!

I've also noticed when the heater is set to max, it's not all that hot for a while. I assumed being an EV the heater would be 'instant'. However, after running for a few minutes, the cabin gets incredibly warm very quick - heating seems to ramp up after a while. Find myself turning it back down as its very warm!
I reckon initially some of the heat will get absorbed by the cold trunking and air vents.
I find using recirc warms the cabin up quicker but it depends whether the windows are misting as to whether this is advantageous or not.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom