Heating ventilation noise

Tom McConnell

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I picked up my new MG5 last weekend 30th Jan and I am really enjoying the car.

I have noticed a loud humming noise from the ’engine’ bay, which you can also hear from inside the cabin.

I can only hear it when stationary, say on the drive way.

When I press the Heating control On/Off button on the left of the heating controls in the center console the noise stops. I can turn the noise on/off whenever I want.

The noise is audible when in Park or when you arrive on the drive way with your foot on the brake.

Is this noise normal ?

Should there be any noise from the car when stationary or moving slowly ?

Thanks !

I picked up my new MG5 last weekend 30th Jan and I am really enjoying the car.

I have noticed a loud humming noise from the ’engine’ bay, which you can also hear from inside the cabin.

I can only hear it when stationary, say on the drive way.

When I press the Heating control On/Off button on the left of the heating controls in the center console the noise stops. I can turn the noise on/off whenever I want.

The noise is audible when in Park or when you arrive on the drive way with your foot on the brake.

Is this noise normal ?

Should there be any noise from the car when stationary or moving slowly ?

Thanks !
I haven't noticed a humming noise on mine. When you crank up the blower to full it's a bit noisy but that's expected.

When it's set to auto, most the time I can barely hear it. Certainly no more than my old 2014 Passat.

Maybe attach a video so we can hear it. Or speak to the dealer.

I spoke with the dealer this morning and they said to bring it into the dealer for them to listen to the sound.

It is not the heating fan as I can turn its knob manually and it is a completely different nose.

The noise stops when I press the A/C button and starts when I press it again.

I also have just taken off plastic engine cover (10 plastic screw fastners) and the noise does appear to be from a large shiny metal pump on the rear right of the engine below a coolant expansion tank. So I assume this is the a/c pump.

Have to say there is lots of empty space in the engine bay !! MG could fit a charging cable container in the space in a future upgrade.

Here is a photo of the noisy pump, the big silver metal thing, top right of the image below the yellow cable/pipe with the white tag.

is this the A/c pump?

Attachments

• 726D28D9-8C01-4300-87BE-7C88C501059E.jpeg
    726D28D9-8C01-4300-87BE-7C88C501059E.jpeg
    469.1 KB · Views: 179
I spoke with the dealer this morning and they said to bring it into the dealer for them to listen to the sound.

It is not the heating fan as I can turn its knob manually and it is a completely different nose.

The noise stops when I press the A/C button and starts when I press it again.

I also have just taken off plastic engine cover (10 plastic screw fastners) and the noise does appear to be from a large shiny metal pump on the rear right of the engine below a coolant expansion tank. So I assume this is the a/c pump.

Have to say there is lots of empty space in the engine bay !! MG could fit a charging cable container in the space in a future upgrade.

Here is a photo of the noisy pump, the big silver metal thing, top right of the image below the yellow cable/pipe with the white tag.

is this the A/c pump?
I think you're correct. It looks suspiciously like an AC pump and the fact the noise stops and starts with the AC button seems to suggest it. I think this is a case of waiting for the dealer.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom