HELP URGENT - can't unplug wallbox from car

Gomev

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Just had Rolec installed and fitters demo'd on a dummy box.
They have just left so I drove onto the drive, plugged in got the connecting not charging, then charging, then not charging off and on continuously and now I cannot disconnect from the car.

I have turned of the wallbox from the isolator.

I must be doing something obviously wrong

Help please

Lock and unlock the car, should hear the locking mechanism disengage.

If not, there’s an emergency release under the bonnet.

Try locking and unlocking the car a couple of times, if that doesn't work there's a cable under the bonnet you can pull to release the cable.
@kiltox , you just beat me to it. (y)

OK thanks, wallbox disconnected, probably user error :)

But reconnecting it is still doing the connected not charging, followed by charging, followed immediately by connected not charging ad finitum.
Now this was obviously a test as box just installed and car is at 83% but it shouldn't do that should it ? Tried locked and unlocked

Does it have an app and do you have to confirm the charge on the app or something like that ?
I would get the fitters back to sort it.

Does it have an app and do you have to confirm the charge on the app or something like that ?
I would get the fitters back to sort it.
It has the ev.energy app. All I've done is register. don't need the smart charge as not on an overnight tariff

Have you turned off smart charging in the app?
Yes. Thanks.

Not working for me on the granny charger either.

Been back to dealers and they tried it on their Rolec home charger and it worked straight away locked and unlocked. Then they tried it on granny charger that worked OK too.

Came home and lo and behold .....still didn't work on either. I've only been able to use the granny on an extension lead at home, maybe that is the problem with that.

Summat ain't right uuuurggghh.

Have you got a smart meter? That will show what's really happening. On the granny it will take about 2.4kw/hr on the Rolec about 7kw/hr.

@GOM, try wriggling the plug in the car charging socket to see if their is a loose plug/socket issue. Also did the dealer use your granny lead when you went back to them?
Are you able to try a different granny lead?

Have you got a smart meter? That will show what's really happening. On the granny it will take about 2.4kw/hr on the Rolec about 7kw/hr.
An old smart meter that no longer functions after changing supplier.

@GOM, try wriggling the plug in the car charging socket to see if their is a loose plug/socket issue. Also did the dealer use your granny lead when you went back to them?
Are you able to try a different granny lead?
Dealer used my granny lead, worked instantly, same as their tethered rolec. I will have a wiggle in a the morning.
Obviously nothing wrong with the car, maybe my electrons aren't good enough.

Maybe try charging with granny lead in a Neighbouring house to see if it’s a wiring issue with your property.

If you're using an extension for the granny, make sure it's fully unwound and preferably a 13A continuous load one, not a 10A. Of course this doesn't solve the wall charger problem, I would be asking the fitters back to sort it out.

If you're using an extension for the granny, make sure it's fully unwound and preferably a 13A continuous load one, not a 10A. Of course this doesn't solve the wall charger problem, I would be asking the fitters back to sort it out.
Thanks just checked and extension lead is 10amp. Gonna drive car up to front door tomorrow where i should be able to reach a hall socket direct. Here's hoping.

Not paid for wall box yet. Awaiting invoice 😊

YAY - Problem solved. I have a couple of powerline adapters to take my internet upstairs and it turns out these were the culprits.
I unplugged them and now the car charges like a dream.
Thanks to everybody for your suggestions and help.

YAY - Problem solved. I have a couple of powerline adapters to take my internet upstairs and it turns out these were the culprits.
I unplugged them and now the car charges like a dream.
Thanks to everybody for your suggestions and help.
Glad you got it sorted, thanks for letting us know.
Just as a matter of interest, are the powerline adapters wireless extenders or just network extenders through the mains wiring ?
I have the latter and they've never been a problem.

Glad you got it sorted, thanks for letting us know.
Just as a matter of interest, are the powerline adapters wireless extenders or just network extenders through the mains wiring ?
I have the latter and they've never been a problem.
They are Devolo network extenders through the mains. It was like it was pulsing through the mains which caused the initial problem of off and on which meant the lead kept locking to the car.
Just hope it helps anyone else that comes across this problem.
Again thanks to everyone for their help.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom