Hesitation

rotorhead

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Good evening all,

Might I ask a question on here, I've had my MG5 LR since 1st August22.

In that time I've done 3280 miles and mainly drive with KERS3 and Eco mode activated.

Sometimes when needing to jump into a gap in traffic say from an acceleration lane, I get a bit of hesitation from the motor then the usual acceleration.

Does this happen to the rest of you?

Good evening all,

In that time I've done 3280 miles and mainly drive with KERS3 and Eco mode activated.

Sometimes when needing to jump into a gap in traffic say from an acceleration lane, I get a bit of hesitation from the motor then the usual acceleration.

I've never experienced that in either of my 5s, the power is instant and unfaltering.
I'd be taking it back to the dealership for a software check.

I've never experienced that in either of my 5s, the power is instant and unfaltering.
I'd be taking it back to the dealership for a software check.
Hi Rotorhead. I’d agree with Johnny 5 is alive. My 5 has done 11500 miles and is always in eco3 like you say you drive yours. I’ve never known any hesitation during acceleration such as you describe. It has always picked up very cleanly and progressively whether from stationary or when in motion whatever the speed. I too would suggest checking it out with the dealer - interested to hear how you get on.

Good evening all,

Eco mode changes the power curve of the throttle to be 'more gentle' in accelerating. If you normally drive in a light footed way you may not notice this. However when you do need that quick acceleration it doesn't come as quickly in ECO unless you really ask for it, just gently using the throttle won't give you it, you need to really push.

Many threads on here have illustrated that there is no great benefit to economy in driving in ECO mode other than it teaches you drive economically. You an achieve equally good m/kWh by being gentle with the throttle in any mode. Many myself included prefer to drive in Normal mode, this improves responses to the throttle and slightly stiffens the steering, useful on faster roads (as is a lower KERS setting).
Try using normal before checking into a dealer just to try it out. :)

43k miles and no hesitation. As gomev says eco mode can slow the car's responses (one of the reasons why I stopped using it). Try in in normal mode and see if the issue clears.

There is an old storey about a man who had a problem with hesitant acceleration and soft braking in his car. He took it back to the dealers some many times and they couldn't find anything at all.

He decided to swap and use his wife's car and it had the same problem.

The solution was a new pair of shoes. That resolved all of the issues. I bet he didn't tell the dealer!

Eco mode changes the power curve of the throttle to be 'more gentle' in accelerating. If you normally drive in a light footed way you may not notice this. However when you do need that quick acceleration it doesn't come as quickly in ECO unless you really ask for it, just gently using the throttle won't give you it, you need to really push.

Many threads on here have illustrated that there is no great benefit to economy in driving in ECO mode other than it teaches you drive economically. You an achieve equally good m/kWh by being gentle with the throttle in any mode. Many myself included prefer to drive in Normal mode, this improves responses to the throttle and slightly stiffens the steering, useful on faster roads (as is a lower KERS setting).
Try using normal before checking into a dealer just to try it out. :)
I totally agree. Eco is when you're desperate! Why have a smart car (or mobile) and not use its best features?

I started off using eco and kers 3 but found it a faff always having to remember when switching the car on. I just use default (normal and kers 2) now. Very little range difference and car performance is improved.

I started off using eco and kers 3 but found it a faff always having to remember when switching the car on. I just use default (normal and kers 2) now. Very little range difference and car performance is improved.
Same here, Can't be bothered trying to eke out every last mile.

The only hesitation I notice is when pulling away from a standstill when auto hold is engaged.

Hello all,
Texted the Salesman whom I purchased through, his reply was " If you're driving in Eco then there will be slight hesitation in setting off, it will feel laboured. However in Normal and Sport the hesitation won't feel as laboured. Please try this and let me know your thought"...
As others have mentioned Eco and K3 aren't really the Golden Egg to be sought after, so from now on I'll leave it in default, just to be clear, my use of the accelerator pedal wasn't timid, I really went for it, and noticed the hesitation at that point, hence my enquiry.

Hello all,
Texted the Salesman whom I purchased through, his reply was " If you're driving in Eco then there will be slight hesitation in setting off, it will feel laboured. However in Normal and Sport the hesitation won't feel as laboured. Please try this and let me know your thought"...
As others have mentioned Eco and K3 aren't really the Golden Egg to be sought after, so from now on I'll leave it in default, just to be clear, my use of the accelerator pedal wasn't timid, I really went for it, and noticed the hesitation at that point, hence my enquiry.
Get them to do a software reinstall at your service. Ask the technician to road test it if he doesn't believe you.
It shouldn't hesitate in any driving mode.

Hello all,
I often drive in eco - there is not hesitation. All that mode does is dampen the surge of power when you put your foot down. I only use it to mitigate my lead foot.

Spinning the wheels can cause hesitation…

I find the acceleration in the MG5 a little hesitant compared to the Leaf 40 I was previously driving. 'Instant' it certainly is not, but it's only a fraction of a second delay as the power ramps up. You can adapt by preempting the need for power by a fraction of a second.

Pulled out to pass a horse box and car at 40 Mph. By the time I get to his driver's door the car is telling me to "slow down" (oops)

No hesitation there

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom