Hi can anybody tell me why my MGEV4 now only reaches 186 miles when fully charged when it was 215 miles. Its only 2 months old

Reset your trip computers and turn heating system off, put in eco mode and you will get a better GOM. It adjusts to your previous driving if you don't reset.

Can anybody tell me why my mgev4 now only reaches 186 miles when fully charged when it was 215 its only 8 weeks old
Many thanks
Hi, do you do a lot of rapid DC charging? You may need to balance the battery cells on a AC type2 EVSE.
As above reset the trip counters, turn everything off, fan and heater then turn on into eco mode. Hopefully the figure will be nearer the factory GOM.

Hi, do you do a lot of rapid DC charging? You may need to balance the battery cells on a AC type2 EVSE.
As above reset the trip counters, turn everything off, fan and heater then turn on into eco mode. Hopefully the figure will be nearer the factory GOM.
@Jomarkh Thank you for the great advice 👍🏻🙂

Aye, my i3 gives me around 146 miles in the warmer weather, in wintertime it's nearer 110 miles.
@johnb80 They don’t tell you this at the dealers which would be helpful wouldn’t it 🤔 , I love being able to ask fellow MG EV owners their advice , everyone is so helpful to each other 🙂

@markg1103
Multiplying your miles/kWh by your usable battery capacity gives your range. When you are driving, if the former figure reduces due to outside temperature/use of heater/driving style, then your range will diminish. The GOM is showing this. Resetting the trip meters may change what the GOM shows, but that doesn’t mean you will get that range.
It would be the same in an ICE car - increased speed, harsh acceleration, heating/cooling = less range. It’s just not so obvious.

Do NOT go by the GOM.
Reset your long range after a charge. Check your long range after 50% of use. If you are averaging 3.6 mi/KW then you know you have 180 miles of range, per charge.

Your last car had a GOM called a fuel guage. You had no idea how many miles you had left, just fill it when the light comes on

You can either turn off your heater, or drive more economically. It will be less in autumn and even less in winter, anyway.
Just like any other car.

I just go by % left, or when I can be bothered to charge.
It's still 90% cheaper than petrol

Do NOT go by the GOM.
Reset your long range after a charge. Check your long range after 50% of use. If you are averaging 3.6 mi/KW then you know you have 180 miles of range, per charge.
Surely thats what the GOM is doing for you but basing it on your previous driving. I find it works really well on both my i3 and our MG5.

Today I checked it at 50% and I've done 136 miles since 100%. The GOM said I've got 120 left, when, in fact, I've got 136 miles left. Simple maths really. Computers just make it difficult

Re-setting the trip meters ceratinly makes a difference, otherwise the 'guessometer' is a bit mad(at least in terms of 'indication', less so in terms of actual ks driven).

So happens, this last time I charged to 100% I forgot to reset the trip meters as I usually do - ZS EV LFP. When I checked it in the morning, it read 324k (have never seen that, is always 320k as advertised). So then I reset the trip meters & it immediately fell to 304ks. Go figure. But then as I drove around for a few days it was clear that the range & performance were as per normal & it eventually figured itself out.

This is the same question as asking why your petrol/diesel miles-to-empty (guess-o-meter) reads differently at the same fuel level.

Calculation based on:

• Previous consumption over time
  • Mode selected (sport/normal/eco)

Actual miles left in reality is dependent on:

• actual driving pattern/style (city/motorway/b-road), throttle/brake use
  • ambient temperature
  • if you have Aircon/heating on/off
  • actual temperature of the battery
  • laden weight
  • things strapped to the roof

I can't help but think that constant rapid DC charging is unhealthy for the longevity of the battery. I have used it a few times on long trips, but 95% of my charging is at home on 7kw AC. I generally get reported 260-270 miles in summer, dropping to 209-240 miles in winter. I never drive in eco mode.

Hi chaps,

We've had our MG4 Trophy 12 months. When we first had the car, the battery charge and distance was atrocious.
As time had gone on the battery and distance has reached upto 358miles on the dash.
At the worst mid winter it's as low as 180miles.
We have got used to it now and have just had first service at 12 month 8k miles. Also had the R46 update.
We find the great overall.
Regards
Andy

I can't help but think that constant rapid DC charging is unhealthy for the longevity of the battery. I have used it a few times on long trips, but 95% of my charging is at home on 7kw AC. I generally get reported 260-270 miles in summer, dropping to 209-240 miles in winter. I never drive in eco mode.

It's not unhealthy in that it's going to blow up prematurely, you'll just get more some degradation over time that's all.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231028-205916.png
    Screenshot_20231028-205916.png
    226.6 KB · Views: 55
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom