Hi! New owner here - lots of small questions :)

CoolDudePT

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi everyone! I'm based in Portugal and a happy owner of a second hand MG ZS Luxury Long Range with 11kW AC charging capability. The car is pretty much 2 years old now (dec 2021) and has just over 5.000Km on it. Happy so far!
Not knowing the car/being aware that buying a second hand card sometimes means not knowing its full history. I browsed the forum and got some questions answered but I still have a couple hoping you guys could shed some light on these:

- I'm charging at home in the same plug/extension cord where I used to charge a Tesla. I would easily get 13A at 230+V (good wiring!). Currently the MG app reads 1.91kW which dividing by 225 (not even 230+) means ~8 amps. The portable charger seems rated to 10A at least. I don't have Tesla's UMC charger anymore to test it. What am I missing?

- While driving I have what seems to be a shaky top panel (right above the head, next to the sunroof opening) vibrating a lot. Literally seems like dubstep! wubwubwubwubwub :D Anyone else have that kind of vibration there/anywhere?

- Last but not least Apple Caply seems finicky sometimes and I'm using a genuine apple cable (second one I'm trying). Sometime disconnects, sometimes I have to reconnect the cable twice. Phone seems to be always charging but CarPlay doesn't always boot up. Any similar experience?

Hope to be able to answer stuff to new members in a couple of months learning from you guys :)

Thanks!

My MG charger is only good for 10A 2.4 kW, also if you get an 11kW wall box then the cars AC charger is limited to about 7.5 kW.

Your Carplay usb lead needs to be a fast speed cable - the plastic in the USB-A plug should be black or blue, not white. There are other threads on this topic.

My MG charger is only good for 10A 2.4 kW, also if you get an 11kW wall box then the cars AC charger is limited to about 7.5 kW.
No, he's got an 11kW onboard charger so will get 11kW from a two phase supply. The problem is with the granny charger, you will only get single phase on a 13A socket.

As for the noise from the roof, I've not experienced that.

Carplay/Android Auto leads can be very tempramental, as can the socket over time. I opted for a wireless adapter so I don't keep plugging and unplugging, and I can leave my phone in my pocket.

Your Carplay usb lead needs to be a fast speed cable - the plastic in the USB-A plug should be black or blue, not white. There are other threads on this topic.
No, he's got an 11kW onboard charger so will get 11kW from a two phase supply. The problem is with the granny charger, you will only get single phase on a 13A socket.

As for the noise from the roof, I've not experienced that.

Carplay/Android Auto leads can be very tempramental, as can the socket over time. I opted for a wireless adapter so I don't keep plugging and unplugging, and I can leave my phone in my pocket.
It's a genuine Apple cable that came with my iPhone 12. I don't think transfer speed is the case. When it works, it works properly. My problem is a somewhat finicky connection with somewhat random disconnects. I trying to understand if it's just my car or a general thing. Which adapter did you go with?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom