Hi... New owner here.

Taken from @Lovemyev post

Comfort 2 update - info from MG website​

( NB - if you purchased your car after mid June 2020, the car should have had the Comfort 2 update installed and therefore bongs etc dealt with. If you are being asked to pay for this update in 2021 as a new purchaser, you should definitely query this.)

During the lifespan of a vehicle model, various changes can be made to interior trim, exterior cosmetics or system functions to ensure that it features cutting edge technology and remains attractive to potential buyers. MG ZS EV models manufactured after mid-June 2020, will have a newly developed 2nd generation of Comfort System Operation installed on the car. This is now available for customers who wish to benefit from these later updates on earlier build models.
Whilst all the below features involve software changes to key components on your vehicle, the updated software is not available to cars with 1st Generation software as a ‘warranty upgrade’. MG’s warranty is there to cover the cost of repair or replacement of a failed part due to a manufacturing defect, and not for updates/upgrades, and will therefore be chargeable. Please speak to your MG dealer to find out associated charges for this update.
This new 2nd generation of Comfort System Operation includes changes to:
  • Faster system self-check when powering ‘ON’
  • Infotainment volume maintains and restarts at previous volume setting after powering ON/OFF
  • Auto High Beam system disable option available in menu settings
  • General warning chime quality improvements and reduced volume
  • Warning chimes reduced for MG Pilot and Key Reminder
  • Vehicle temperature and temperature alarm featured in the instrument display
  • Vehicle range always on display in instrument pack
  • Vehicle can be unlocked during A/C charging, when re-locked charging automatically resumes

Taken from @Lovemyev post

Comfort 2 update - info from MG website​

( NB - if you purchased your car after mid June 2020, the car should have had the Comfort 2 update installed and therefore bongs etc dealt with. If you are being asked to pay for this update in 2021 as a new purchaser, you should definitely query this.)

During the lifespan of a vehicle model, various changes can be made to interior trim, exterior cosmetics or system functions to ensure that it features cutting edge technology and remains attractive to potential buyers. MG ZS EV models manufactured after mid-June 2020, will have a newly developed 2nd generation of Comfort System Operation installed on the car. This is now available for customers who wish to benefit from these later updates on earlier build models.
Whilst all the below features involve software changes to key components on your vehicle, the updated software is not available to cars with 1st Generation software as a ‘warranty upgrade’. MG’s warranty is there to cover the cost of repair or replacement of a failed part due to a manufacturing defect, and not for updates/upgrades, and will therefore be chargeable. Please speak to your MG dealer to find out associated charges for this update.
This new 2nd generation of Comfort System Operation includes changes to:
  • Faster system self-check when powering ‘ON’
  • Infotainment volume maintains and restarts at previous volume setting after powering ON/OFF
  • Auto High Beam system disable option available in menu settings
  • General warning chime quality improvements and reduced volume
  • Warning chimes reduced for MG Pilot and Key Reminder
  • Vehicle temperature and temperature alarm featured in the instrument display
  • Vehicle range always on display in instrument pack
  • Vehicle can be unlocked during A/C charging, when re-locked charging automatically resumes
Strange. I seem to have some but not all of the Comfort System Operation changes.

Nope. 22kWh AC.
Then that is a 7KW AC charger as far as the ZS EV is concerned as it only uses a single phase.

It sounds as though your car does not have the full Comfort 2 Upgrade Package installed.

Before Comfort 2 unlocking the doors would stop the charge if on AC.

It should be noted, that there was an important EVCC module that needed updating, that would allow your car to continue charging from a A/C supply while the car was unlocked.
This tick box exercise was often missed, when an update was applied.
My ZS EV Gen 1 only gained this facility, after the BMS update had been carried out.
Basically the software canon was fired at my car after it was left stranded dead on a ramp, while having it's second service and the drivers door wiring loom replaced ( MG service bulletin ).
This is the module software upgrade that permits this feature.
Without this update, your car will not continue charging on a A/C supply, when the car is unlocked.

Charging unlocked/locked update for ZSEV​

The ZSEV has always supported unlocked charging on CCS (rapid chargers) and in 2020 a software update was released to add this function to charging on type 2 (6.6 kW fast chargers). You are less likely to want to sit in your car for this slower charging, although it can still be occasionally useful.
This is a side update to the BMS update: specifically to the EVCC module of the car.
Once this is installed, the car will charge both locked or unlocked.

To stop the charge after the update, lock the car, then simply unlock with the key fob whilst at the front of the car. You will hear the car unlock the charge lead locking pin will disengage, and you can then remove the lead. If you do not unplug the lead, it will re-engage the lock and resume charging about 15 seconds later.

Hope this helps to clarify the situation and hopefully explains why some ZS EV Gen 1's will AC charge unlocked and some will not.
If it does not charge unlocked and you consider that you really need this feature, then you will need the EVCC module updating ( which you maybe be asked to pay for ).

Last edited:
It should be noted, that there was an important EVCC module that needed updating, that would allow your car to continue charging from a A/C supply while the car was unlocked.
This tick box exercise was often missed, when an update was applied.
My ZS EV Gen 1 only gained this facility, after the BMS update has been carried out.
Basically the software canon was fired at my car after it was left stranded dead on a ramp, while having it's second service and the drivers door wiring loom replaced ( MG service bulletin ).
Here a the module software upgrade that permits this feature.
Without this update, your car will not continue charging on a A/C supply, when the car is unlocked.

Charging unlocked/locked update for ZSEV​

The ZSEV has always supported unlocked charging on CCS (rapid chargers) and in 2020 a software update was released to add this function to charging on type 2 (6.6 kW fast chargers). You are less likely to want to sit in your car for this slower charging, although it can still be occasionally useful.
This is a side update to the BMS update: specifically to the EVCC module of the car.
Once this is installed, the car will charge both locked or unlocked.

To stop the charge after the update, lock the car, then simply unlock with the key fob whilst at the front of the car. You will hear the car unlock the charge lead locking pin will disengage, and you can then remove the lead. If you do not unplug the lead, it will re-engage the lock and resume charging about 15 seconds later.

Hope this helps to clarify the situation and hopefully explains why some ZS EV Gen 1's will AC charge unlocked and some will not.
If it does not charge unlocked and you consider that you really need this feature, then you will need the EVCC module updating ( which you maybe be asked to pay for ).
Thanks for the very informative reply.

if you lock the doors, unlocking will stop the charging. As long as you don't lock the doors , you can open and close them as many time as you wish without stopping the charge.

I have a 2020 Mk1. I can confirm Rapid CCS charging you can lock and unlock the doors as much as you want. You can also turn the car on to see the incoming charge rate on the dashboard. With any other charging I just lock it and wait for the tell tale 'creak' sound to work out if it's charging or not.

One useful thing - if you want to check how the charge is going on a non-rapid charge either, press the lock button on the key fob near the car, and it will show up on the dashboard without stopping the car. Or, without the key fob near the car (v important), press the lock button on the door and the same info will appear on the dash.

cheers
nick

The Mk1 ZS EV had several software updates. One was to fix the driver's door wiring loom. Another was to allow charging without locking the doors. Another big one, was the so called "Comfort Upgrade" which got rid of the bongs and several other enhancements. This upgrade was charged by some Dealers and provided FOC by others. The only way to find out what software updates have been done to your car is to go back to your supplying Dealer and ask them to print off from their system as it should all be recorded electronically. This is worth doing in any case.

If you haven't already you might want to join the MG EV Facebook forum. You can search for just about any query you might have incl. everything the Comfort update included. I sold my Mk 1 last Dec. (getting Mk 2 next week) but as I recall it included things like the radio not coming on super loud at start up, outside temperature showing on the screen and remaining range showing on the dash. I'm sure you'll be very pleased with your purchase. It's a steep learning curve but enjoyable. Good luck!

Hi All, unlocking the Mk1 will stop charging for approx 30-60 seconds but it doesn't 'unlock' the plug. If you just leave it alone it will start charging again. I hope that helps. I think I mention it in this video. If you find the video useful, please Subscribe to the channel and give the video the thumbs up. Congrats on the new EV :)

Hi All, unlocking the Mk1 will stop charging for approx 30-60 seconds but it doesn't 'unlock' the plug. If you just leave it alone it will start charging again. I hope that helps. I think I mention it in this video. If you find the video useful, please Subscribe to the channel and give the video the thumbs up. Congrats on the new EV :)

I will have to try out the unlocking and leave it for 30-60 secs not sure of this because the comfort 2 update states
  • Vehicle can be unlocked during A/C charging, when re-locked charging automatically resumes ??

I will have to try out the unlocking and leave it for 30-60 secs not sure of this because the comfort 2 update states
  • Vehicle can be unlocked during A/C charging, when re-locked charging automatically resumes ??
I have a 21 SR and when on pod point chargers and the granny charger when I unlock the car charging stops then restarts after a short time maybe 1 minute or more depending on the charger or car.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom