Hi, new owner to be

Kev555

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Just joined today, put pen to paper last week but wont be receiving my MG to December due to order backlogs according to dealer. Just reading through the forum theres a lot to learn about driving these EV,s to get best economy out of them. I have never owned an automatic car never mind an PHEV. I am taking an MG5 out for a weeks trial in two weeks to see if I'm brave enough to go fully electric as the dealer can get them easier . Charging network is really bad in NI which is off putting a bit but mostly we will be charging at home.

Hi, I have an MG5 SR and mainly charge at home. How did you manage to get your for a week's test drive?
It's a way off yet but try and get a smart meter installed as they can take a few weeks plus another few weeks if you change energy supplier.
Enjoy your new vehicle when it comes.

Hi, I have an MG5 SR and mainly charge at home. How did you manage to get your for a week's test drive?
It's a way off yet but try and get a smart meter installed as they can take a few weeks plus another few weeks if you change energy supplier.
Enjoy your new vehicle when it comes.
Hi Jomarkh, thanks for the tips. The dealer has agreed to give me a demo which has been out on a charity event for the last couple of months for a week on trial as he is probably keen to meet targets which is easier with better delivery dates for the MG5. I am very inclined towards the MG5 and its possibilities, but maybe a jump to far for the wife as she will be the main driver. I am looking into smart meters ATM but dont know which type of meter is the best option? I have 4Kw solar PV array on the house but I dont think that it will be fully utilised to charge an MG5? when the cars not there usually during the best daylight hours. I am going to sign up to an EV tariff with local electric company to get cheaper night rates. The HS is only a 16KW battery from memory so quicker charge in the winter time from the little sunlight there is and possibly better use of the solar PV when the vehicle is at home. Thats only my initial thinking but it may all work out differently?

Last edited:
Just joined today, put pen to paper last week but wont be receiving my MG to December due to order backlogs according to dealer. Just reading through the forum theres a lot to learn about driving these EV,s to get best economy out of them. I have never owned an automatic car never mind an PHEV. I am taking an MG5 out for a weeks trial in two weeks to see if I'm brave enough to go fully electric as the dealer can get them easier . Charging network is really bad in NI which is off putting a bit but mostly we will be charging at home.
Good advice to have a smart meter fitted if you have not got one, I would also check out some videos on installing home charger on YouTube as there be other work need to be done on your supply fuse and fuse box if not up to the correct standards.

Sorry did not see the second post, if you have panels with a feed in tariff you will have a second generation smart meter which is ideal but just check it out. As to what wall charger to work with panels there are post on that.

Charging network is really bad in NI which is off putting a bit but mostly we will be charging at home
I would suggest an EV would be a better option than a PHEV.
Your long test drive will be brilliant for that purpose alone.
If you can plug in a PHEV at home, why not plug in a full BEV ??.

Last edited:
Hi Jomarkh, thanks for the tips. The dealer has agreed to give me a demo which has been out on a charity event for the last couple of months for a week on trial as he is probably keen to meet targets which is easier with better delivery dates for the MG5. I am very inclined towards the MG5 and its possibilities, but maybe a jump to far for the wife as she will be the main driver. I am looking into smart meters ATM but dont know which type of meter is the best option? I have 4Kw solar PV array on the house but I dont think that it will be fully utilised to charge an MG5? when the cars not there usually during the best daylight hours. I am going to sign up to an EV tariff with local electric company to get cheaper night rates. The HS is only a 16KW battery from memory so quicker charge in the winter time from the little sunlight there is and possibly better use of the solar PV when the vehicle is at home. Thats only my initial thinking but it may all work out differently?
I can't stop my wife using the MG5 when it's on the driveway. She even went shopping in it and plugged it in to charge in the multi storey car park.
If you have solar then the Zappi is the charger for you as it take excess solar but will top it up from the grid.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom