High Mileage

biffo

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but Cleevely have posted about a car they've serviced - even more impressive than the 5,000 miles they achieved from one of their converted MG5LRs in just 16 days - this taxi/private hire has done 16,000 in just 5 weeks

Going to be worth keeping an eye on this to see how it holds up over the 150,000+ miles in 12 months along with the two MG5LR that Cleevely run.

It will be as easy to do as it it is for any other car.

Definitely be interesting to see how the battery holds up, as long term reliability/failure of batteries is one of the concerns with EVs, and presumably it will be getting rapid charged as well with that sort of mileage.
So will be reassuring 'when' it has no problems.

Last edited:
Definitely be interesting to see how the battery holds up, as long term reliability/failure of batteries is one of the concerns with EVs, and presumably it will be getting rapid charged as well with that sort of mileage.
So will be reassuring if it has no problems.
The Cleevely cars are doing rapid charging through the day if long journeys and AC charging every night so should be fully balanced. Not sure about the private hire car - but these should show how well the batteries hold up, suspect they're going to be in good shape though.

long term reliability/failure of batteries is one of the concerns with EVs,
If you go back a few years (which is absolutely light years in terms of technology advancement) you may have been right but I think these days it is generally accepted that a well kept battery will have a more than adequate life.

There were examples of my previous car, a 2015 Vauxhall Ampera (aka Chevy Volt) based on 2012 technology with mileages in excess of 500,000 with no real serious battery degradation.

If you go back a few years (which is absolutely light years in terms of technology advancement) you may have been right but I think these days it is generally accepted that a well kept battery will have a more than adequate life.

There were examples of my previous car, a 2015 Vauxhall Ampera (aka Chevy Volt) based on 2012 technology with mileages in excess of 500,000 with no real serious battery degradation.
I don't disagree with your facts, but I think "generally accepted" may be debateable in the wider community, (There are still the stalwarts that refer to any EV disparagingly as a milk-float) and the more high mileage EVs there are out there, the less the argument that EVs can't do high mileages holds any weight. The highest mileage electric MG on autotrader only has 40,000miles (due to their relatively recent introduction), so like with any car, it will be good to see some real world experience.

(I've edited my previous post to say 'when' not 'if')

(There are still the stalwarts that refer to any EV disparagingly as a milk-float)

Spot on :LOL:
From a recent EV discussion on another car forum I frequent:

milk floats.JPG

I know plenty of petrol heads through motor racing who also make the milk float comment.

It's a bit like people still joke about Skoda quality which harks back to maybe the 80s but is certainly no reflection of their current quality.

They are either deliberately teasing or are uninformed IMO.

With the price of petrol heading the way it is, ICE is certainly not for me at the moment! :)

I‘m sitting in my MG5 EV SR having a giggle. I love the thought of driving my milk float at a fraction of the cost of an ICE never mind the low entry cost I paid. My milk float will do 0-60 in just over 7 seconds and a good 150 miles on a charge. I reckon I could deliver all the milk in Bath, quite comfortably, on a charge. Oh what a joy an MG milk float ( MGMF) can be!

I consider myself a petrol head, and refer to my MG as my Beige Milk Float. Its my bread and butter commute vehicle (15k pa), not one of the weekend toys. I do however think it's the best type of vehicle for my use. I work in IT and I always bang on about using the right tool for the job, not the cheapest or prettiest.

I plan on keeping the MG the full 5 year term of the finance so these 'high mileage' users I'm keen to follow, I want to comfortable in the knowledge my car won't let me down or devalue significantly come the time for a replacement.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom