High Voltage Fault - Red Warning Light.

Lovemyev

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi folks, today while out on a short trip, with plenty of remaining range.
I suddenly receive a warning “bong” followed by a warning symbol appear in the dash panel.
It remained there for about only ten seconds and it was gone !.
As best I can can remember, it was a red battery symbol, with what looked like “High Voltage Fault” text written under the symbol.
I was travelling along a dual carriageway at the time and the weather conditions where not great.
No chance of grabbing a photo !.
Car continued to drive fine and as of yet, the warning has not returned ?.
Never seen this one before ??????.
Anybody else witnessed this one ?.
The handbook suggests a visit to the dealer, but I don’t really want to do that.
I have only just had it back after a four week wait to sort the handbrake !.
No idea if it’s a false alarm or not not.
Any thoughts folks ???.

If it was a genuine transient fault it should have been logged but you'll need that dealer visit to extract the data.

I had that fault / warning as well. Driving along nicely, then the bing comes up and disappeared as fast as it appeared. That was 2 weeks ago and nothing since. Several chargers done in between. I am assuming it was nothing, but have a 1st service booked in later in Jan so will ask them to see if it comes up on the fault log. Will report back ….

I had that fault / warning as well. Driving along nicely, then the bing comes up and disappeared as fast as it appeared. That was 2 weeks ago and nothing since. Several chargers done in between. I am assuming it was nothing, but have a 1st service booked in later in Jan so will ask them to see if it comes up on the fault log. Will report back ….
Thanks for reporting back @Cricketer007 .
The very same situation that we experienced !.
I like others, have seen the strange orange front camera warnings flash up in the past, that have been triggered by bright sun light hitting the car suddenly.
One second they are there, and then, quickly they are gone !.
The red HV Battery Fault warning is a new one on me though.
Tootling along, then out of the blue, the car suddenly bonged once, then up popped the red warning message.
It was there for about 10 seconds I would guess, then it just disappeared.
Last night, I have fully charged and balanced and have booted up the car this morning.
The predicted range and voltage on the pack all checks out absolutely fine.
No bongs, no warning lights etc.
But we did not need to use the car today.
I guess we will just have to see if it was just one of them erroneous warnings produced strangely by the cars monitoring system ?.
Thanks again for posting back, at least there is one other owner who has witnessed this behaviour.

So had my 1st service today and good news is that they reported no faults in the log so the battery HV fault must have been nothing to worry about. They also did an infotainment system update and it seems like it is lagging less. Other than that, got another year of AA, perforation check etc. I asked them to check for a rattle on the A pillar. They couldn’t pinpoint it which is fine - it’s very minor but the odd thing is that I noted the mileage when I left it with them and when I picked it up, it was 19 miles down so they must have taken it for a fair few road tests to eliminate the rattle !!!

So had my 1st service today and good news is that they reported no faults in the log so the battery HV fault must have been nothing to worry about. They also did an infotainment system update and it seems like it is lagging less. Other than that, got another year of AA, perforation check etc. I asked them to check for a rattle on the A pillar. They couldn’t pinpoint it which is fine - it’s very minor but the odd thing is that I noted the mileage when I left it with them and when I picked it up, it was 19 miles down so they must have taken it for a fair few road tests to eliminate the rattle !!!
Have you got your Morris Bear?

So had my 1st service today and good news is that they reported no faults in the log so the battery HV fault must have been nothing to worry about.
Just to say, I have not received any further HV warnings since !.
If they have no stock of the Morris the Bear, they will post you one out.

Hi @Lovemyev and @Cricketer007, I found this post, had the same HV red fault lamp pop up on my 2021 ZS EV today. Just wondering if this came to anything for either of you? Did the dealership ever pick this up in the logs? Thanks.
It happen only on one occasion in our Gen 1 ZS EV and never returned ?.
We had the car for two years and about 20,000 miles.
It had been into the dealers for other work and two services in that time and there was no mention of any codes being produced.
I must have been a glitch I think 🤔.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom