Highest morning m/kWh

Jomarkh

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Nice 4.8m/kWh driving to work this morning going to try and get 5m/kWh on the way home but may have to have the Aircon on

IMG_20220616_081449.jpg

I have found Aircon to make virtually no difference to consumption. I have just journeyed home 280 miles all motorway and dual carriageway.
Just after setting off I switched aircon on, it would have been unbearable without, I had tried for a few minutes. :) It immediately took 10 miles off the GOM.
As I arrived back in Leeds and into traffic I chose to have the windows open and turned off the Aircon, it gave me back 4 miles, so cost of aircon over 280 miles was 6 miles on the GOM and journey completed at 4.3m/kWh.
I had done the outward journey, identical route but in reverse with no Aircon as weather was cooler and car was fine without it and achieved the same m/kWh.

NB it must make a difference overall, you get nothing for free but I'm not noticing anything dramatic or that makes me think twice about putting it on when needed.

Last edited:
I have found Aircon to make virtually no difference to consumption. I have just journeyed home 280 miles all motorway and dual carriageway.
Just after setting off I switched aircon on, it would have been unbearable without, I had tried for a few minutes. :) It immediately took 10 miles off the GOM.
As I arrived back in Leeds and into traffic I chose to have the windows open and turned off the Aircon, it gave me back 4 miles, so cost of aircon over 280 miles was 6 miles on the GOM and journey completed at 4.3m/kWh.
I had done the outward journey, identical route but in reverse with no Aircon as weather was cooler and car was fine without it and achieved the same m/kWh.

NB it must make a difference somewhere after all you get nothing for free but I'm not noticing anything dramatic or that makes me think twice about putting it on when needed.
A/C is not as spiteful as using the cabin heater, that’s 100% for sure !.
It behaves similar, in the respect that when it’s first tuned on, the effect on range is more greedy.
As / when the cabin reaches the desired temperature, the A/C is then only tripping in and out to maintain that reached temperature.
To be honest, when it’s really hot 🥵 and you need the A/C on, the small loss in range, is a small price to pay !.
The Pleather seats can get really sticky in hot weather, so running the A/C becomes a must have facility then.
Some owners have complained that the heater strength and also the A/C is poor.
This is likely because they are running in ECO mode of course !.

I would guess peak load for the AC system is around 3kw on either heating or cooling. Once cabin temp is stable I can't see it using more than a kw/hr average so in reality, probably less than 10% power drain compared with driving.
Motorway driving will be averaging around 20-30kw at any one time based on what my ampera used to show on the dash. Haven't worked out the Mg5 yet as it's in amps and volts where the ampera used to show power draw in kW.

I would guess peak load for the AC system is around 3kw on either heating or cooling. Once cabin temp is stable I can't see it using more than a kw/hr average so in reality, probably less than 10% power drain compared with driving.
Motorway driving will be averaging around 20-30kw at any one time based on what my ampera used to show on the dash. Haven't worked out the Mg5 yet as it's in amps and volts where the ampera used to show power draw in kW.
Simple quick test to roughly calculate the greedier of the two items, with regards to eating range !.
With the stationary and HVAC turned off, check your predicted range on the GOM.
Then, turn on the HVAC and instantly request MAX heat, observe the drop in range on the GOM ( I am thinking 10 - 15 miles easy ).
Now turn off the HVAC and make a metal note of the range.
Turn the HVAC back on and now demand MAX cooling, is the range drop more or less than before.
Boom - There is your answer ( or as close as it does not matter anyway folks ! ).
I money is on the heater being more hungry 🤷‍♂️.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom