Home Charge Point - Project Ev

Jgraves93

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all,
I’m a new MG5 EV owner, only had the car for a few weeks.
So far, I’m really liking it, it’s a big shift from an Audi A3, the technology inside is a bit slower than I had hoped for but still it’s nice to have an estate over all the other SUVs.

Last week I finally had a charge point installed at my home and I went with the Project Ev. Linking the app to the charge point couldn’t have been more difficult but after an hour of perseverance it finally synced.
My only issue I have with it is that it doesn’t seem to stop charging when the car is fully charged.
The app is very simple with very little features to be able to change the charging patterns. I have found that you can charge it based on a max cost, time or Kw but you are guessing what to set it at based on how much charge your car needs.
Has anyone else got this charge point and figured out how to get it to turn off when it’s fully charged?

Thanks.

I'm getting the same point install this coming Wednesday. If no-one else chimes in, I'll post my experiences with it once it's up & running.

On the app you set the amount of time you want to charge and the you set the start time and then press the on button in the bottom of the screen

I’m not too sure, the charger itself seemed to continue to go over the max kw of the battery. I know when at 100% the car won’t/can’t take on anymore but the charger still seems to continue. Not sure whether the app/charger itself is the issue, Very annoying as it still charges me for the power it’s using even though fully charged.

If the battery is full it won't be taking a charge (except possibly a trickle charge) even if the charger seems to be working. Any power it uses will be miniscule.
If you want to test it, check your meter when it's charging at full whack and again after it's full, see if there's a difference in the speed it counts up.

Although the car reports 100% fully charged, it will still be pulling a small amount of charge to continue balancing the pack surely ?????.
When the pack is balanced, it should automatically shut down the wall box.
The draw from the supply will be very small while the car is balancing.

If you go to record it’s shows how long you’ll charged and how much it costs
CDD884FB-7154-4898-9C53-84610228AE92.png

Yeah I know I’ve got all that. The problem I have is, it doesn’t switch off or stop charging when the car has reach full charge. Ive used public charge points where it will stop charging when fully charge and tell me it’s fully charged, I don’t have that with the app. Was wondering if there was a feature I’m missing but sounds like there isn’t.

I realise this is the MG5 Forum space, but for what it's worth on the ZSEV the Flashing MG Emblem on the car turns to a steady on when balance charging & it completely goes off after balancing has completed. The Project EV Charger will display a Green Circle permanently lit when it is available to charge & a flashing Green Circle when it is actually supplying current.

If you are stand nearby you will hear a heavy thud as the contactor energises and the Green Light Flashes directly after that.

On the Project EV App, I find you have to set the duration of the charge first (Time) , then the charge time (Start Time) before pressing the ON button to correctly get a time limited charge. It should then say Reservation in its status.

Last edited:
I’m not too sure, the charger itself seemed to continue to go over the max kw of the battery. I know when at 100% the car won’t/cadodon't take on anymore but the charger still seems to continue. Not sure whether the app/charger itself is the issue, Very annoying as it still charges me for the power it’s using even though fully charged.
Is it at a reduced charge, it could be going through the balancing process which can take a couple of hours after the initial charge at a very reduced charge rate, this is a normal process to keep the batteries in tip-top condition and should be done at least once a month.

If the Project EV Charger gets confused I've had to cycle the power at the MCB before to get things working properly.

Perhaps try this, then set a delayed charge with just a 30minute period and watch the charger to see if it then performs ?

I’m not too sure, the charger itself seemed to continue to go over the max kw of the battery. I know when at 100% the car won’t/can’t take on anymore but the charger still seems to continue. Not sure whether the app/charger itself is the issue, Very annoying as it still charges me for the power it’s using even though fully charged.
Okay so here is what I think you are seeing and I'll caveat this by saying my home charge point is a PodPoint not a ChargePoint. An EV Home charger isn't a charger it is just a glorified Switch with some safety features - the Charger is in the car. If your "Home Charge Point" indicates "Charging" it most likely just indicating power is being offered to the car or that it is offered and safety checks are okay and car is prepared to accept the charge (I'm simplifying it here). An EV will charge to 100% and then appear to continue to charge from anything from 30 minutes to 6 hours and during this time it reduces the charge rate from the full 7kW (ie 7000 watts) to a "Balancing Charge" rate of about 0.3kW (ie 300 watts).
A Balancing Charge is an essential part of the car's self-maintenance of the battery by the Battery Management System (BMS). This balancing Charge wouldn't normally be required more than once a month (see your user manual) and is because your car's battery is made of many individual "Cells" and each performs very slightly differently when charged and discharged. Balancing equalises the voltages between cells and thereby allows you to get maximum range from the car and protects the battery cells from undue wear and tear when discharging and charging in normal use. It's okay to charge in your normal daily use up to 80%-100% and once in a while leave it connected and charging beyond 100%.
My personal use case is that I know 4 hours on OctopusGo (00:30-04:30) will add 105 to 110 miles so I put my ZS on charge overnight if I see I've about 60 mile range when I park up. However, in the early hours of Saturday morning, I've set my timer to start as normal 00:30 but to finish at 06:30. I know whenever I need a balance charge I'll hook up the charger on Friday evening, then my main charge I'll be paying only 5p/kWh up to 100% charge and since the Balancing Charge is only at 0.3kW the additional 2 hours from 04:30 at the 15p day rate will only cost me about 10p in total.

Press the record button it should show the charge start and end time plus now many kWh and cost
It does indeed. Well, it'll be more accurate once I put my cost per kWh in at any rate.

The screenshot was more intended to illustrate to the OP that charging does indeed stop once the car reaches capacity.

I've just had on Project EV installed and you'll be glad that the current app version 4.0.1 has no issues setting up/connecting.

I have one query, how can I turn off the Project EV logo light?

I've just had on Project EV installed and you'll be glad that the current app version 4.0.1 has no issues setting up/connecting.

I have one query, how can I turn off the Project EV logo light?
I’ve had a Project EV charger for around a year. As far as I’m aware there isn’t an option in the settings menu to do that.

If you are concerned about drawing undue attention to your charger, it gets worse when charging as a large green circle flashes on the front black glass panel.
Perhaps fabricate a black cover to hang over the unit with adequate ventilation?

I’ve had a Project EV charger for around a year. As far as I’m aware there isn’t an option in the settings menu to do that.

If you are concerned about drawing undue attention to your charger, it gets worse when charging as a large green circle flashes on the front black glass panel.
Perhaps fabricate a black cover to hang over the unit with adequate ventilation?
What happened to your charger?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom