Home Charger advice for EV Newbie

TheOxonian

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all, I'm Chris. I live in Wellingborough, Northamptonshire.

I've just taken delivery of a MG 5 EV and have been researching home charging... And after a little advice on which is best.

I've looked at the BP Pulse, Halford and also the Smart Home Charge Ezee One.
The BP Pulse one looks OK, but pricey at over 1K, whilst the EZeeOne appears OK, but cheaper.

As I've not had the car long, I'm not sure which apps and what 'functionality' I need from charger, other than the obvious.

On the same subject, where is the best place, and type to get a space cable?

Thanks in advance

I went for a PodPoint. Does everything I need (charges the car and can be scheduled). It was fairly painless to arrange (they asked for a lot less in terms of info before they'd accept or quote).

RRP is from £799 but I paid £270 after various grants and things.

As the car doesn’t have the ability to time a charge, you will need a charger with an app to be able to schedule a charge- this is particularly important if you have electricity with a cheap overnight rate, such as Octopus Go which is currently 7.5p per kWh from 12.30 to 4.30 every night. I have a Wallbox pulsar plus and after some initial connection issues between the app and the charger, which were resolved by turning Bluetooth off on my phone and connecting to the charger by WiFi it has functioned beautifully. Not sure what you mean by a space cable- if it’s the type 2 to take advantage of free charging at PodPoint chargers then I think EBay probably do them, or ask your dealer.

As the car doesn’t have the ability to time a charge, you will need a charger with an app to be able to schedule a charge- this is particularly important if you have electricity with a cheap overnight rate, such as Octopus Go which is currently 7.5p per kWh from 12.30 to 4.30 every night. I have a Wallbox pulsar plus and after some initial connection issues between the app and the charger, which were resolved by turning Bluetooth off on my phone and connecting to the charger by WiFi it has functioned beautifully. Not sure what you mean by a space cable- if it’s the type 2 to take advantage of free charging at PodPoint chargers then I think EBay probably do them, or ask your dealer.
Thank you. Space cable was a typo, and should have been spare cable. 😂

You need a 32amp 5 or 10 metre cable. These are good quality from a known brand.

Personally I've got for 10m as the mg5 is a long beast and the ports in the nose. If I have a need to back into a charge bar a 5m cable isn't it.

For home charging the £350 grant ends in 3 weeks, it is exceptionally unlikely you will get one installed by then so won't qualify, equally you'll struggle to get an installer with slots before April. The goods news is the grant has likely inflated the cost of home chargers and from the 1st of April prices will probably drop £150 or so.

Rightcharge, the electric car charger comparison site is also worth a look to pick a charger. You can then shop around for a deal.

Last edited:
Thank you. Space cable was a typo, and should have been spare cable.

You need a 32amp 5 or 10 metre cable. These are good quality from a known brand.

Personally I've got for 10m as the mg5 is a long beast and the ports in the nose. If I have a need to back into a charge bar a 5m cable isn't it.

For home charging the £350 grant ends in 3 weeks, it is exceptionally unlikely you will get one installed by then so won't qualify, equally you'll struggle to get an installer with slots before April. The goods news is the grant has likely inflated the cost of home chargers and from the 1st of April prices will probably drop £150 or so.

Rightcharge, the electric car charger comparison site is also worth a look to pick a charger. You can then shop around for a deal.
Thank you, I'll give that site a look.

My Ohme Pro charger is being fitted as I type. Got it through Charging Solutions they said that they can still fit chargers before the deadline 👍🏼👍🏼

Thank you Vipar. I've just ordered a BP Pulse charger. I'll let everyone know how I get on, and if I managed to get in before the deadline.

Thank you lguk. Cable ordered 👍

Hi all, I'm Chris. I live in Wellingborough, Northamptonshire.

I've just taken delivery of a MG 5 EV and have been researching home charging... And after a little advice on which is best.

I've looked at the BP Pulse, Halford and also the Smart Home Charge Ezee One.
The BP Pulse one looks OK, but pricey at over 1K, whilst the EZeeOne appears OK, but cheaper.

As I've not had the car long, I'm not sure which apps and what 'functionality' I need from charger, other than the obvious.

On the same subject, where is the best place, and type to get a space cable?

Thanks in advance
Thank you everyone for your quick and informative replied and advice. I will definitely be coming back here for more in the future, for now, I'm hopefully sorted I respect to cables and home charger.

Cheers

Chris

Ok charger fitted it took 4 hours. Kevin the fitter was a smashing guy, very polite and left the area clean and tidy.
Downloaded the app for me and explained how it all worked.

I would recommend “ Charging Solutions” I am nothing to do with them I believe that a good job should get good reviews 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼.

Attachments

• 3B7B60B7-93D9-4D93-88B1-0655034138B9.jpeg
    3B7B60B7-93D9-4D93-88B1-0655034138B9.jpeg
    458.1 KB · Views: 170
Don't forget if you want to take advantage of. Cheap rate electricity you'll need a smart meter. And a higher rated main fuse at least 80 amp.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom