Home Charger Extension Cable

ARealHuman

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hi All,

Does anyone know if it's possible to fit an extension to a thethered home charger? I'm not talking about a domestic extension lead, but one that has suitable ends to connect to the home charger cables and then to the car. I tried the MG cable I was supplied with and all the connectors fit but the car says "connected but not charging" and the charger reports that it's not charging. It wuld be useful for me to have a couple of more meters or so over the tethered charger lead.

I asked this a couple of months ago, IIRC the consensus was, the normal cable has a longer shroud on the plug (or socket) so it doesn't go all the way in and so the sensor connector doesn't contact.

Thanks @Kithmo and @MEH.

Kithmo - I thought it might be something like that. Disappointing! Did you resolve it by getting another cable that works?
MEH - thanks, I saw that when I did a search. Do you know if it will deifnately fit and not have the same problems that Kithmo mentioned?

I'm going to drop Rolec a mail and see if they can recommend or supply an extension.

Thanks for the replies :)

Or get an replacement cable for the point? Would be the best option if you ask me.

Thanks @Kithmo and @MEH.

Kithmo - I thought it might be something like that. Disappointing! Did you resolve it by getting another cable that works?
No, I was just wondering if I could use the one I have to extend the granny if needs be out on the road. For the times I'd need it, in the end I thought it wasn't worth buying one.

Well I spoke to Rolec today. They don't recommend a particualr type of extension lead, and also said my installer could fit a longer tethered cable to the charger, e.g. 10m. I've asked the installer, waiting to hear back and will update again, just in case anyone's interested ;)

Well I spoke to Rolec today. They don't recommend a particualr type of extension lead, and also said my installer could fit a longer tethered cable to the charger, e.g. 10m. I've asked the installer, waiting to hear back and will update again, just in case anyone's interested ;)
Ooh interesting! I was wondering that myself, as my drive kind of "needs" to be reversed on to. I was wondering if the cable would reach to the front of the car.

Did that inlcude fitting? The cost of my 10m cable is less than half that, price including fitting is about £30 less than your figure.
Hah, I have NO idea, when they came back with the price I decided to say no (Non surprisingly) i'll just drive forwards in to the drive if i need to.
Installer came back with this:
"I have made some enquires about the longer charging cable. Rolec do an after market 10m lead that will fit your charger.
The cost of this lead is £250 inc VAT.
They are on a 5-10 working day lead time.
If you would like me to order one then I will be happy todo so. We can make a 2nd appointment to fit this lead once it is in with us"

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom