Home charger feedback

Wendycar127

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi,
I'm just starting to look into home chargers and wondered which ones you would all recommend. Did you buy one type then wished you had opted for another, which functions are important to you? Any advice appreciated.
I'm in Scotland, I have a 20 plate zs and I'm on a crappy electricity tariff having been with igloo before it melted. I'd like one that has a good functioning app and one that you can schedule to start/stop( if I ever get an ev electic tariff.)
I'm planning to apply for the grant but have yet to commence.
Thanks again for all your assistance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

I have a Wallbox Pulsar Plus that was fitted by smart home charge. It is a smart charger that is programmed via the accompanying app. It has basic functionality but does allow setting a timed program charge during off peak periods.

Why are these all so expensive? I paid £150 for a Project-EV charger (supply and fit) and as far as I can see has the same functions as all the most expensive ones. I can preset a charge based on cost, energy, or time. I also have the Solar Eco or Solar ECO+ option mode to use power just from solar pv's all of which work from an app. I've been using it for a couple on months and it has recorded that so far I have spent £4 on powering the car!

Most people pay around £600-£1000 depending on complexity of install. If you're in Scotland you get more money from the government than the rest of us.

I'd get multiple quotes from the manufacturers themselves, who will recommend local installers.

I have Sync-EV (they also do a tethered unit now) and would happily have Hypervolt or Ohme too. Only went with Sync-EV as it was cheap and met my needs at the time.

Hi,
I'm just starting to look into home chargers and wondered which ones you would all recommend. Did you buy one type then wished you had opted for another, which functions are important to you? Any advice appreciated.
I'm in Scotland, I have a 20 plate zs and I'm on a crappy electricity tariff having been with igloo before it melted. I'd like one that has a good functioning app and one that you can schedule to start/stop( if I ever get an ev electic tarrif.)
I'm planning to apply for the grant but have yet to commence.
Thanks again for all your assistance.
Hi

You have had lots of good advice already regarding chargers.

The only other advice I would offer is if you already have a type charging lead it will be slightly cheaper to just have the charging socket (without the tethered lead) provided.

I personally prefer having the one type 2 lead which I keep in the car for home or public AC charging.

I like Indra, Hypervolt and Zappi.

This site is good for reviews:

Be careful to check what it looks like with a cable if you go for tethered, some look very small and neat but are the ugliest you can get with the cable. Depends where it's going though I suppose, I wouldn't want this on the front of my house (but doesn't really matter for me as my drive is out of sight):

I got a hypervolt. It's for scheduled charging and can also hook into solar and you can set up tariff information so you can see approx cost.

It also has LEDs you can make go to red alert 😉

I didn't previously know about this one but I like it and it's going to be even more important after March.

Viridian Classic 2.0.

It's a dumb tethered charger but built like a tank and includes the latest safety features like PEN fault detection and DC leakage protection which the chargers of old don't (the old dumb chargers can't be fitted without under current BS standards so require extra boxes at significant cost (£100+)). Suppose you can get away without PEN fault detection but then you must install a charger with it's own earth, ie TT earth accomplished with an earth rod which must be installed near to where the car will be parked and 5m+ meters from underground metal pipes or cables which are bonded to the combined earth (TN-C-S) in your home. Most of the grant chargers have these features but they're mostly double the price, just mentioning this as most old dumb chargers don't do this - it's not the same animal as a crappy old Rolec at all!

It doesn't qualify for the grant but is cheaper than the grant chargers at £250+VAT. If you have the new ZS with timers, app etc. included with the car it seems good to me.

Attachments

• ViridianEV_Classic2.0_Datasheet v1.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Why are these all so expensive? I paid £150 for a Project-EV charger (supply and fit) and as far as I can see has the same functions as all the most expensive ones. I can preset a charge based on cost, energy, or time. I also have the Solar Eco or Solar ECO+ option mode to use power just from solar pv's all of which work from an app. I've been using it for a couple on months and it has recorded that so far I have spent £4 on powering the car!
Hi company did you use and where are they based
Cheers john

Hi company did you use and where are they based
Cheers john
It was purchased as a package with a 5.9kW solar pv array and 18kWh FoxESS battery from Project Solar. I think I got them at a discount, but I guess you can buy them direct?

You received a large discount, the Project EV charger with PEN fault protection is over £500, not including fitting, cable, ancillaries (approx £400). An EV charger fitting company would ask for at least £500 for a "standard" supply & install with the £350 grant.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom