Home charger for limited mileage

MrG

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just looking into home chargers and was thinking about an Ohme charger, due to the ability to time the charges according to the most cost-effective times on your Octopus tariff. We are currently with Scottish Power, but are due a renewal in April so timing for a change is about right.

Our predicted mileage will only be about 3000-4000 miles a year so probably will only need to charge up once a week or so. Thinking about it that way, I then wasn't sure if the Ohme's bells and whistles would actually be needed and if I should opt for something cheaper? Any tips or real life reviews would be much appreciated.

Hi all,

Just looking into home chargers and was thinking about an Ohme charger, due to the ability to time the charges according to the most cost-effective times on your Octopus tariff. We are currently with Scottish Power, but are due a renewal in April so timing for a change is about right.

Our predicted mileage will only be about 3000-4000 miles a year so probably will only need to charge up once a week or so. Thinking about it that way, I then wasn't sure if the Ohme's bells and whistles would actually be needed and if I should opt for something cheaper? Any tips or real life reviews would be much appreciated.
Why not use the granny charger for that sort of mileage and then get a type 2 cable for use at Tesco / Sainsbury’s if they have a free chargers near you.

Hi MrG,
I think that is very sound advice from Mark.
Take your time deciding which charger point, if any, best suits your needs.
The only reason to have charging point installed is if you think the government grant for home chargers may come to an end.
In my 3 months of ownership I have only charged once at home.
I have mostly found public charging points near stops and use them for top ups. As Mark says lots of them are free.
Happy charging whichever way you decide to go

This is
exactly what I have done for the last 14 months, only charged about four times away from home.
Interesting. Am I wrong in thinking that regularly using the granny charger isn't ideal for the battery then?

Interesting. Am I wrong in thinking that regularly using the granny charger isn't ideal for the battery then?
No it’s fine for the car, so are 7 KWh, it’s the constant rapid charging that’s not recommended. Also ideal charge status is to keep between 20 and 80% unless you need to fully charge for a long run.

No it’s fine for the car, so are 7 KWh, it’s the constant rapid charging that’s not recommended. Also ideal charge status is to keep between 20 and 80% unless you need to fully charge for a long run.
Thanks!

Hi all,

With a low mileage, the overnight cheap tariffs don't always work to your advantage because the day rate is usually higher.
I worked mine out and stayed where I am as my daily rate and standing charge is low. Do the comparison on your existing usage and see what the difference is.

With a low mileage, the overnight cheap tariffs don't always work to your advantage because the day rate is usually higher.
I worked mine out and stayed where I am as my daily rate and standing charge is low. Do the comparison on your existing usage and see what the difference is.
Really good point. Only see ourselves charging once or twice a week so, if we do go down the road of a home charger, doing that comparison before automatically switching to a company like Octopus will make more sense. We generally compare and switch every year so will do the same again. Thanks.

Really good point. Only see ourselves charging once or twice a week so, if we do go down the road of a home charger, doing that comparison before automatically switching to a company like Octopus will make more sense. We generally compare and switch every year so will do the same again. Thanks.
If you don't take a cheap overnight tariff then at least you have the flexibility to charge anytime you like and if a granny charge is sufficient then that would also avoid the cost of a wall charger which could be factored in. :)

I'm low mileage myself similar to you and will probably pay a little more over a year than switching to Octopus. I did invest in a 7kW tethered charger mainly as a convenience and also an investment. Absorbed the cost as part of the overall experience buying an EV for the first time.

Being retired I'm low mileage these days too but I'd like a plan 'B' to fall back on regards a wall charger, Our daughter who is thinking of getting a BEV for her next car would be using the 7kw charger also. Who knows how busy the public chargers are going to get in the not too distant future with the rising number of electric car buyers! You could be spending more time waiting in line to charge up until the charging infrastructure is able to cope with mass adoption of BEV's! I'm in the middle of getting a 7kw charger sorted out (haven't really decided which yet) and even if it's only used once a week it's peace of mind for me.

As always, lots of valid points here. I'm not retired (though I wish I was!) and have two young children, under the age of nine. As a family, we love the idea of doing a lot more driving based day trips - when the world allows - so the EV will be perfect for that.

Our current mileage of about 4000 miles is based on our 2009 Ford Fiesta which, as much of a workhorse as it has been, has consumed petrol. My wife and I are quite risk-averse so having a home charger may suit us better as a 'Plan B...just in case.'

Currently looking at getting some quotes from 'smarthomecharge.co.uk' and 'elecology.co.uk'. Has anyone used these companies?

I'd take advantage of the govt. grant, future proof your home and get quicker charging to boot by going straight for a 7kW Type 2.
Makes sense.

Just got my first estimate for the Ohme charger and install for £580. Need to run the cable through an additional wall to get to the fuse box under the stairs. Does that sound reasonable?

Is the £580 quote inclusive of the government grant?
It is difficult to estimate without knowing cable length and how they will install it in your property.
My installation required a thick black armoured cable which would be provided on the surface unless additional charges were made.
Best to get a few quotes and ascertain if cable will be concealed (under floor etc) before committing yourself.

Also remember some home chargers require an earth rod (Zappi doesnt)

Yes, inclusive of grant. Simple enough install. Straight through the wall then run along the skirting of the converted garage room as we have porcelain tiles so can't really pull these up!

Sent photos and video of my setup to a few companies. Seems I don't need an earthing rod installed due to something to do with my fuse box being compatible? They'll install a 40A Type A RCBO + enclosure?

It's about 6.5m of cabling. No mention of it being armoured.

Seems a bit expensive for the short amount of cable. I would definitely recommend getting at least one other quote.

I'd take advantage of the govt. grant, future proof your home and get quicker charging to boot by going straight for a 7kW Type 2.
I agree.
If your home charging is likely to be small, then the "Granny" lead will do the job.
But ( because there is always a but ) remember the "Granny" lead is called that for a very good reason, it is VERY slow.
You will only be getting around 10 miles of range for every hour spent on charge !.
Therefore, you have to figure in LONG timing times.
Also, "Granny" leads are not seen as a long term solution being used on a domestic socket.
This will depend on the age / condition of your home electrics of course.
A better long term solution is a dedicated 7kw wall box all day long.
I would go for a 32 Amp unit and not the lower powered 16 Amp units that will only proved 3.6 kw.
If you are luck enough to have a couple of 7kw A/C posts at your disposal i.e. super markets etc.
If you have a post at work, then fine.
Otherwise you have to find the time to be stuck on that super market post at some time.
If your SOC is low, you could be there for hours.
Average weekly shop is likely to take you ........ 1 hour ????.
You will only pick up 25 miles at best in that time.
A 7kw wall box will give you the same amount of juice as the super market unit, but you have the convenience of not having to leave your house to get a that charge.
Also, if you are on a EV friendly tariff then it could be possible to charge your car late at night and then it is ready to go in the morning.
What is better than having a fuel station on your drive ??.
No brainer for me, get a wall box !.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom