Home charger thoughts

muppet77

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all, first time poster here.
I’ve just put down a deposit for a LR Trophy Connect and so need to start looking at home chargers.
I’m considering a tethered one to save faff each time.
Does anyone have any recommendations for models? It’ll be around 5m at most.

Thank you.

Welcome to the club :)
You'll find multiple existing threads asking this same question so it may be a good idea to read those first.

Have you got solar panels or thinking of getting some? If so have a look at the Zappi EVSE. Not the cheapest or nicest looking but does the job well.

Have you got solar panels or thinking of getting some? If so have a look at the Zappi EVSE. Not the cheapest or nicest looking but does the job well.
Thanks for the reply. No I don’t have them and am not really thinking of them - I’ll have to save the pennies from now on with with new car purchase!

I think most seem to be £700/800 upwards depending on what you want (display screen etc).

I’m assuming the 3G 4G ones require a SIM card and contract? If so I’ll have to check the wifi where I’m placing it.

You don't need bells and whistles, just a dumb charger will work fine and be a fair bit cheaper than any of the 'online' ones.

As above really, you have the facelift model which can control the charging times etc. from the app so no need for a fancy charger with another app unless you want solar integration etc.

'Dumb' chargers are available and much cheaper.

As above really, you have the facelift model which can control the charging times etc. from the app so no need for a fancy charger with another app unless you want solar integration etc.

'Dumb' chargers are available and much cheaper.
Thank you. Which brands make the “facelift” ones? I’ve looked at Rolec wallpod facelift but it’s still not much cheaper from what I can tell unless I’ve missed something.
Thanks for your help.

I think he is referring to the ZS facelift not an EVSE. The new model ZS has a timer onboard do you just need a dumb EVSE

We bought a QubEV charger from Amazon for under £300. I needed a long cable run so bought that separately from Armoured cable.co.uk and had a local electrician connect us up. All in £250 cheaper than any quote I received involving the government "incentive" available at the time.
I prefer non tethered as I think the cable is prone to damage or theft and the standard charging cable is a better idea

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom