Home Charging

EPHEP

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
If you are considering buying the MG4 64kw and your electric supplier is OVO, you might want to rethink again or change your supplier. I wish I had known this before purchasing. OVO is my electric supplier but they do not support MG4, so if you travel up to 40 miles on the motorway every day, you will need to charge twice a week at a public charger. Fast charging is far too expensive at ~ £50 to 80% subject to where you go.

I charge on Thursdays to cover the weekend and top up on Sunday for the week. It is a pain in the butt. The 77 kWh new version should be a better buy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mean OVO is supplying a smart charger which doesn't work with the MG4, or something else? Can't you use the portable (granny) charger?

What EVSE charge point do you have?
No supplier can talk to the MG4 as MG won't release any API data.
As above can you not use the granny EVSE every night to top up?

Do you mean OVO is supplying a smart charger which doesn't work with the MG4, or something else? Can't you use the portable (granny) charger?
OVO chargers doesn't support MG4.

What EVSE charge point do you have?
No supplier can talk to the MG4 as MG won't release any API data.
As above can you not use the granny EVSE every night to top up?
At this time I use public charge point.

But can you use your granny charger? It might not provide all the charge you require, but it could make a serious dent in the amount you're paying for public chargers.

Actually, thinking about it, I know systems vary, but I find that my granny charger can give me about 7 miles of range in an hour. You're supposed to get eight hours of sleep a night, so that would be 56 miles of range. Add in a few more hours for dinner, evening relaxation and breakfast, and if you usually spend 12 hours at home, then you'd get 84 miles. That should keep you going if you're only driving 40 miles a day, even if there are some evenings when you don't get home till late.

That's basically what I'm doing, although with a smaller daily mileage, and I'm keeping up with my consumption just fine. I don't think I've ever needed to use a rapid charger (other than when going on overnight trips), although I have used a nearby one for convenience from time to time.

You won't get the benefit of an off-peak tariff, or at least you'd have to charge outwith that period at least some of the time, but even so it's not going to be anywhere near the prices of public rapid chargers. And AC charging as routine is better for your battery too.

Last edited:
If you are considering buying the MG4 64kw and your electric supplier is OVO, you might want to rethink again or change your supplier. I wish I had known this before purchasing. OVO is my electric supplier but they do not support MG4,
That's not true. With OVO you need to have a compatible car OR charger, the Ohme charger that they supply does work with OVO and it will charge an MG..

But can you use your granny charger? It might not provide all the charge you require, but it could make a serious dent in the amount you're paying for public chargers.

Actually, thinking about it, I know systems vary, but I find that my granny charger can give me about 7 miles of range in an hour. You're supposed to get eight hours of sleep a night, so that would be 56 miles of range. Add in a few more hours for dinner, evening relaxation and breakfast, and if you usually spend 12 hours at home, then you'd get 84 miles. That should keep you going if you're only driving 40 miles a day, even if there are some evenings when you don't get home till late.

That's basically what I'm doing, although with a smaller daily mileage, and I'm keeping up with my consumption just fine. I don't think I've ever needed to use a rapid charger (other than when going on overnight trips), although I have used a nearby one for convenience from time to time.

You won't get the benefit of an off-peak tariff, or at least you'd have to charge outwith that period at least some of the time, but even so it's not going to be anywhere near the prices of public rapid chargers. And AC charging as routine is better for your battery too.
Thanks for the heads up but I live in an apartment far from the car park.

I hear you but I disagree. Using a granny charger is a last resort and I am sure we don't buy EVs or this vehicle with the intent to be using a granny charger.

I hear you but I disagree. Using a granny charger is a last resort and I am sure we don't buy EVs or this vehicle with the intent to be using a granny charger.
It was absolutely my intent for the first year or until it proved to be a problem. As a retired person in a rural location public chargers are 10-15 mile round trip and expensive, whereas the portable charger soaks up my solar excess. I don't do consecutive long trips that exceed the ability to recharge from the granny. I certainly wouldn't buy an EV if public charging was my only option.

In my case, no, I imagined that once I'd got the car I'd be getting a wall box installed - because that's what everybody does, right? But then once I'd got the car the granny cable turned out to be so simple and convenient that I just went on using it.

I'm looking into a full system of solar panels and a home battery, but in the mean time granny is keeping up with my mileage just fine.

Thanks for the heads up but I live in an apartment far from the car park.

I don't understand this. In your first post I thought you were implying that you had a wall-box charger but that your supplier doesn't support the MG4. If you don't have any home charging capability at all then I don't see what OVO has to do with it one way or another. You're stuck with public charging, and as we all know that is a rip-off.

Any type 2 home wallbox WILL charge any BEV regardless of make or model. MG isn't supported on smart charging on any supplier as already mentioned, so the OVO tariff make not be the cheapest but you will still be able to use the wallbox. Don't forget you can schedule a charge in car or on the app should you have a reduced overnight tariff available.

If you are considering buying the MG4 64kw and your electric supplier is OVO, you might want to rethink again or change your supplier. I wish I had known this before purchasing. OVO is my electric supplier but they do not support MG4, so if you travel up to 40 miles on the motorway every day, you will need to charge twice a week at a public charger. Fast charging is far too expensive at ~ £50 to 80% subject to where you go.

I charge on Thursdays to cover the weekend and top up on Sunday for the week. It is a pain in the butt. The 77 kWh new version should be a better buy.
I have a ZS EV and an Indra Pro charger and I am with OVO - the Indra Pro charges my EV at my standard electric tariff rate, OVO just can't give me the Charge Anytime reduced tariff. It's still cheaper than charging at a public charger, and will charge my car fully overnight.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom