Hot weather not good for sunroof

teepee

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Had a ZS since March 2020 and went for the Exclusive Trim because we love having a sunroof. Have spent the last 40ish years with many cars with sunroofs and really enjoy the experience. Aircon tends to be used only at motorway/dual carriageway speeds.

Currently on holiday in East Anglia and the winding country lanes with sunroof open are a delight. (By the way, achieving 5.5 miles per kwh on these type of trips - yay!)

Word of caution though - don't leave your car parked too long in hot sunlight!

Got into the car a couple of days ago and when the sunroof was opened there was a terrible squeaking/scraping sound. This has now happened a couple of times since and the common denominator seems to be that the car has been parked in direct sunlight for quite some time prior to opening the sunroof. I conclude that the heat has caused something to expand along the runner and this is what is causing the scraping/squeaking. It sorts itself out as the car cools down though so not too much to worry about (I hope).

Anyone else had similar experiences?

yup
i had this today - it was a scraping sound. it sounded like expanded rubber rubbing against a track or smething

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom