How do I confirm I have the latest firmware and on what components?

ryanoneill1970

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
On our first big trip out our car developed the 'Vehicle Control System Fault' / failure to boot up HV system as outlined here.

We booked it in with the dealer for the BMS upgrade which was a hassle as the dealer didn't seem to understand the issue at first.

I'm concerned that the dealer has updated the infotainment system and not the BMS. I don't know if the BMS and infotainment are completely separate systems or the same but I suspect that they are different for safety reasons at least. If they've not updated the BMS then this issue may happen again the next time we use a GeniePoint charger.

The itemised receipt from the dealer reads 'Software issues-Comfort Pack 2' and 'SA020'.

My questions;
  1. Are there official MG 'release notes' for software updates?
  2. What are the different components in the car that need software updates? BMS, infotainment, anything else?
  3. Is it possible to find the version of each of those components or do I have to deduce it by the way the menus work (checking if I have menu option X or the voltage is at Y when fully charged)?
Any help answering these would be very much appreciated.

Ryan

On our first big trip out our car developed the 'Vehicle Control System Fault' / failure to boot up HV system as outlined here.

We booked it in with the dealer for the BMS upgrade which was a hassle as the dealer didn't seem to understand the issue at first.

I'm concerned that the dealer has updated the infotainment system and not the BMS. I don't know if the BMS and infotainment are completely separate systems or the same but I suspect that they are different for safety reasons at least. If they've not updated the BMS then this issue may happen again the next time we use a GeniePoint charger.

The itemised receipt from the dealer reads 'Software issues-Comfort Pack 2' and 'SA020'.

My questions;
  1. Are there official MG 'release notes' for software updates?
  2. What are the different components in the car that need software updates? BMS, infotainment, anything else?
  3. Is it possible to find the version of each of those components or do I have to deduce it by the way the menus work (checking if I have menu option X or the voltage is at Y when fully charged)?
Any help answering these would be very much appreciated.

Ryan
Infotainment system updated via USB. Rest of the car (ECUs) via the ODB2/CAN bus.

Check out the ODB2 stuff on this forum, get a cheap bluetooth ODB2 dongle and use app to get all of the firmware versions. There are config settings too but they cannot be read (presently).

What are the different components in the car that need software updates? BMS, infotainment, anything else?
Only about 20 more :)

This will give you a flavour (ignore most of the technical stuff):

ECU function list.png

The app you'll need for firmware is in this topic:

Project OBD2 - Mobile App v1.2.1

Pay attention to the requirements for the OBD2 adapter; the cheapest and nastiest won't work, and for that app, you can't use a BLE type, you want ordinary Bluetooth.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom