• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

How is your dealer ?

Picked mine up from Vic Young's two weeks ago and was told all software updates were up to date. Sure enough the Comfort 2 pack had been installed and I can charge with doors locked or unlocked regardless of charger.

Looks like I need to ask the dealer to show me how to charge the car before I leave the sales room!

Does this mean my dealer has no idea or he is correct?

Send them this video/information before you collect. Here is a video of my ZS EV after having the BMS uppdated:

The updates were performed by Chorley Group MG (Burnley), if your dealership still claims that it isn't possible, as them to ring Chorley Group MG (Burnley) for them to explain how.

@ScifiArgonaut has provided a great post with more detail about timed charging & unlocked AC charging:

1st. Update your ZS software. I booked mine into Richmond MG Southampton 3/11/20, they really listened to me and understood what I was talking about. I told them I had a Rolec charger and that I had charging issues and that I read on the forum that there is a BMS updates that can fix it. They have a technician called Gareth who is their EV expert and they said bring it in and they would check if the software was up to date even though I only got the car on 21 Set 20 and it already had the Comfort2 update.

As they recommend Rolec Chargers I asked if they would do this free of charge and they said yes under warranty. They contacted MG technical who authorised EVCC & OBC updates applied to my car. I told them that I wanted to post what the updates where on this forum so they kindly supplied me with this...

EVCC - Electric Vehicle Charge Control
Improves compatibility with smart and timed charging systems that use PWM wake up strategy (e.g. ROLEC Smart EV). When the customer connects the charging gun to the vehicle, a timer is started within the module. This allows a charge to delay the start of charging session for upto 10 hours before the EVCC module will shut down completely. If a charge starts but then stopped within 10 minutes the timer restarts.

If the charge starts and continues for more than 10 minutes, the timer will simply run for 10 hours from when the charge gun was inserted.

The charge timer will not terminate a charge session, even if the charge is delayed until 9 hours and 59 seconds after the charging gun is connected.

OBC - Onboard Charger
Allows the vehicle to be charged on AC charging stations without the need for the vehicle to be locked. When an AC charger is connected to the vehicle the charge gun will be locked into the socket and charging will start. If the customer locks the vehicle charging will continue.

If whilst charging the customer unlocks the vehicle the charging will temporarily stop, and the charge gun will be unlocked. If the charge gun is not removed within 1 minute, the charge gun will be relocked and charging will resume.
2nd ev.energy - check tariff peak times match your energy supplier and ask them to manually switch off trickle charge.

I first realised my ZS had the problem as the Rolec charger did not recognise when I was on peak rate and charged my car straight away and did not wait until off peak. - I could see what was happening on my smart meter. I then had to use boost in order to get a charge even when my tariff was off peak!

ev.energy (after a bit of e-maill ping pong), then told me what my peak times were set up to, of course they were wrong even though I had selected the correct tariff on the app!

They had to update the tariff on the app which took over a week but now it is set up correctly even though you cannot actually see what the peek times are on the tariff you have selected. You can only confirm its right on the app because when you update your Smart charge settings, "Only charge below" matches your peak rate in pence/kWh. I've asked them to show the peak rates on the app and they have made a note of the request for future app updates.

I told them I had my ZS charge software updated so they manually switched off trickle charge. (blue flashing light on the charger now instead of a green)

Good luck to everyone who is having this issue and I hope this helps you resolve it.

Regards

Jason

@jamesie, good to hear. I'm due to pick up mine on Friday from Vic Young and charging while unlocked is on my list of things to check.

Do you know if the BMS update (SA016), which allows the car to charge while unlocked, was applied to the car or if it was not in the VIN range for the update and as such had it already on?
Picked mine up from Vic Young's two weeks ago and was told all software updates were up to date. Sure enough the Comfort 2 pack had been installed and I can charge with doors locked or unlocked regardless of charger.

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that specific question.

As mentioned, I asked the salesman to ensure any software updates were done prior to collection. He assured me that all software was up to date.

Given that I live about an hour and a half from Vic's dealership in South Shields I decided just to check that Comfort 2 had been done (usual visual cues on the dashboard). I then tried the AC charging when I returned home using the granny charger....all OK. Then I took the car to the nearest rapid (Chargeplace Scotland). Again, all OK. If anything had been missed I would have contacted them to have it looked at.

Only other thing to note is that there is another forum member who got his vehicle at about the same time as me who found he could not AC charge with the vehicle unlocked. He was querying this with Vic's.

They have a charger on their forecourt so maybe worth getting a demo when you go to collect.

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that specific question.

As mentioned, I asked the salesman to ensure any software updates were done prior to collection. He assured me that all software was up to date.

Given that I live about an hour and a half from Vic's dealership in South Shields I decided just to check that Comfort 2 had been done (usual visual cues on the dashboard). I then tried the AC charging when I returned home using the granny charger....all OK. Then I took the car to the nearest rapid (Chargeplace Scotland). Again, all OK. If anything had been missed I would have contacted them to have it looked at.

Only other thing to note is that there is another forum member who got his vehicle at about the same time as me who found he could not AC charge with the vehicle unlocked. He was querying this with Vic's.

They have a charger on their forecourt so maybe worth getting a demo when you go to collect.
Thanks Jamesie, I’m a little further away in central Scotland so will have to do a few tests before I hit the road 😁

My dealer, Stoneacre Hyde, wants to charge £300 for updating to comfort pack 2!
No way am I paying that, I will have to put up with the annoyances until I can change my car for another make and definitely not from Stoneacre who I would never recommend.

My dealer, Stoneacre Hyde, wants to charge £300 for updating to comfort pack 2!
No way am I paying that, I will have to put up with the annoyances until I can change my car for another make and definitely not from Stoneacre who I would never recommend.
No need to change your car. The average dealer charges around £90, some better ones do it gratis. Just call around and use a better dealer!

Looks like I need to ask the dealer to show me how to charge the car before I leave the sales room!
All good! I would say after being nervous the dealer was excellent. Well done Apple MG!
Car picked up today.
Had a fun day trying all the features and trying to avoid using the non existant clutch pedal. Still keep trying to insert the key and my left arm keeps trying to find the hand brake.
The only thing I can't solve is the digital speed and miles remaining dissappears if I get another message, e.g. lane departure. Is there a quick return option/home button, as I seem to have to look at the wheel and using the arrows to cycle the screen back to get to the original diaplay.

I’m on my second car supplied by Chorley Group, Burnley. Miles Roberts & Jon Robinson have been great to deal with. Oh, and they are definitely not local at 260 miles from home...

For servicing (next Monday) and warranty & the 2nd Generation Comfort System update, I have used the Service dept at Horsham Car Centre And they have been great. Not so impressed with the sales side, but I ordered my MG before I even knew they were a dealer, not that they were the closest to me, as there was one in Tadworth, which is closer, until they went bust, but again, I didn’t know they existed either until after I had put my deposit down back in July 2019!
Mike, I've just added Horsham Car Centre to the dealer map with a discussion thread.
They slipped through the net the first time I added UK dealers.
Please leave feedback there.
Thanks

I' m getting my ZS EV in a week from my local MG dealer, Luscombe in Leeds and I've not seen them mentioned in any posts from anyone else but the reviews I've found online have all been very good.
However..... I would be interested to know if anyone on here has any experience with them and perhaps it might be an opportunity for everyone to nominate their dealers and rate their experiences good and bad, and maybe use this thread as a reference for all.

So to start it rolling Luscombe MG Leeds - fingers crossed at the moment. :)
I think it's been mentioned before but mine's Eric Steads, Ecclesfield, Sheffield.
Comfort update done before I picked it up in July and free charger fitted within two weeks of ordering the car.
I purchased mine from Eric Stead also and i found them very good. Kept me informed at every point it took 2 weeks from test drive to collection for the model and colour that i wanted .i had a few queries in that 2 week period and the salesman answered them all .if he wasn't sure he found out and rang me back .do them a favour and give them some feedback in the dealers forum that'll give them two including mine

I purchased mine from Eric Stead also and i found them very good. Kept me informed at every point it took 2 weeks from test drive to collection for the model and colour that i wanted .i had a few queries in that 2 week period and the salesman answered them all .if he wasn't sure he found out and rang me back .do them a favour and give them some feedback in the dealers forum that'll give them two including mine
Just noticed that tha just darnt ruad from me in Barnsley si the ' no one else on here will understand any of that'

Av gi'n Steads sum feedback cus thi wer reyt gud, I wer well chuffed wi em.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom